Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Poll Poll
Question: How many members sling while walking a dog(s)

« Created by: Curious Aardvark on: Jul 21st, 2007 at 11:44am »

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
not had a poll for a while so..... (Read 4161 times)
smgjerald
Descens

Ancient weaponry rules:-)

Redneck country,Norway:-D
Re: not had a poll for a while so.....
Reply #15 - Jul 23rd, 2007 at 11:47am

I grew up training and breeding dogs,so I actually know what I am talking about.
Okay,so if it is necessary to understand you are being insulted I can just start insulting the pasients (I work at a psychiatric institution)who doesnīt understand what I say?
The dogs may not be insulted,but we who likes them are.

"What the hell are you doing now?"my dad everytime he came home and witnessed my siege weapon projects,the most patient man who ever lived:-)
smgjerald  
IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Jul 23rd, 2007 at 12:15pm

I think you might have a hard time convincing a human rights court that calling a dog a "loud stupid baby" and verbally insulting a psychiatric patient are one and the same thing.

They're animals.  They used to be useful, now they are just nice for some people to have around.  They certainly aren't that tasty.

IP Logged

smgjerald
Descens

Reply #17 - Jul 23rd, 2007 at 12:30pm

Yeah you are right about that but you said: Is it an insult if the object of the insult is not insulted, or can even comprehend the insult, or even the idea of an insult in words?
And thatīs what I replied to:)

I love dogs,but am fully aware that they are not humans, but that doesnīt make them any less valuable.
they are animals and we are animals,and all animals deserve respect.

"What the hell are you doing now?"my dad everytime he came home and witnessed my siege weapon projects,the most patient man who ever lived:-)
smgjerald  
IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #18 - Jul 23rd, 2007 at 9:20pm

I would sling with my dog but she's a Greyhound and would want to take off after it. I don't have any place where I can let her run without a leash but if I did she could probably be there waiting to catch whatever I slung before it hit the ground.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

Dravonk
Funditor

Aachen, Germany
Reply #19 - Jul 24th, 2007 at 4:41am

bigkahuna wrote on Jul 23rd, 2007 at 9:20pm:
but if I did she could probably be there waiting to catch whatever I slung before it hit the ground.

I think we already had a story of what happens when a dog catches a stone out of flight... Undecided But with some heavy ball it could be fun.

I like dogs, but never had one as a pet (family member) yet.

IP Logged

smgjerald
Descens

Reply #20 - Jul 24th, 2007 at 5:14am

We have a st.bernard girl living with us at the time(trying to mate Eldar:-)
She is completely psycho when she sees my slings,I have to avoid slinging when she is around she keeps trying to catch the stone or tennis ball in the air..seems like a bad idea..

smgjerald  
IP Logged

brass

Slinging Rocks!

Texas
Reply #21 - Jul 24th, 2007 at 10:32pm

I have a Labrador Retriever, and lately I've been slinging tennis balls for her. It's natural instinct for her to retrieve it, but giving it back is a whole 'nuther story. I tend to spend more time chasing her for the ball than I do slinging it.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #22 - Jul 25th, 2007 at 7:01am

[quote]Is it an insult if the object of the insult is not insulted[/quote]
The object of your insults are quite clearly dog owners - most dogs don't read this forum ;-) That's simple enough for you to understand surely ?
The only reason you're posting in this topic is to insult dog owners - they disagree with your opinion and you only seem to have one response to that - belittle people who disagree with you.

Okay - a few points.

Dog owners (scientifically proven over many surveys) live longer, are healthier and suffer far less stress that non-dog owners.
In our modern soceity that alone is a good reason to have dogs.
On top of that houses with dogs are considerably less likely to be burgled - again proven fact. And again a very useful purpose in modern soceity.
I know a lot of people who go game shooting. Dogs retrieve the birds - many of whol would never be found by people and would have suffered much longer (okay the shooting in the first place is arguable - but ameliorating any animals suffering is never a bad thing (in my opinion as I care for other things than myself).
There are many cultures where dogs still fulfill their traditional working traditions.
In greece and turkey traditional (and we're going back to roman times for some breeds) mastiffs still roam around flocks of sheep and goats protecting them from wolves, rustlers, tourists etc.
Quick pointer - if you're ever walking in turkey and a large brown dog appears in front of you - just be aware there are at least 2 others watching you as well and you only see the one as a warning to backtrack.  

Those are the reasons you might understand. There are many others that I'm certain you will never understand - so no point mentioning them.

Couple of other points. Most dogs are housetrained in under 2 weeks - human children take up to 2 years and sometimes longer. You are far more likely to have a child mess on your floor than dog.
Human children tend to scream louder and longer than dogs - you don't tend to see people taking their dogs to the supermarket to smack them ;-)

No dogs aren't people - so why do you compare them to people ?

If you have a single piece of actual evidence for any of your statements I'd love to hear it :-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Ethan
Funditor

so much depends upon a
red wheelbarrow...

On the edge of a lake...
Reply #23 - Jul 29th, 2007 at 6:13pm

Well said, C_A.

I wish I had a dog. However, my parents are pretty much of the same opinion as english... So I lack canine companionship.
Cry

"Young men go to war. Sometimes because they have to, sometimes because they want to. Always, they feel they are supposed to. This comes from the sad, layered stories of life, which over the centuries have seen courage confused with picking up arms, and cowardice confused with putting them down."&&--Mitch Albom, The Five People you meet in Heaven
WWW Ethan Sithapprentice21  
IP Logged

smgjerald
Descens

Reply #24 - Jul 29th, 2007 at 6:54pm

Ahh,great to hear from other animal lovers,especially such good arguments curious_aardvark Wink
I have brought my dog with me to work a few times(I work at a mental institution) and no matter how aggressive or anti-social the pasients are they all flock around him to pet and talk to him.Strange how a dog can make someone open up,have a pasient who donīt talk at all,refuses to speak to humans,but when he gets to pet a dog he never shuts up Smiley

How someone can say dogs are useless Iīll never know.
Funny story:
Had a friend who claimed he could defeat a dog in a fight because dogs were so simpleminded and weak(whaaaaat Huh)
He said this to a friend of mine who trains dogs for the Norwegian Army,who challenged him:
My friend in a protective suit vs one of his 2 trained dogs,Rottweiler or German sheperd. he wasnīt quite so cocky when he cried for help and crawled back out(we actually waited for 5mins before we let him out..call it a mean streak..).

seriously believe that if people realized what a dog could do to you if it wanted,they would be much kinder to them.That is what I tell my son when he hit our dog while they played: "He could crush your arm if he wanted,but he doesnīt.That is because he loves you.so why do you hit him?"

smgjerald  
IP Logged

stone_scorpio
Tiro

Richland, WA
Reply #25 - Jul 30th, 2007 at 2:44pm

I agree with curious_aardvark and smgjerald, although I'd like to add that even dogs that aren't the bravest or best trained can be wonderful to have around. Our dog, Rocky, is all bark and no bite. If he thinks something dangerous or strange is at the door, he'll run behind Mom or Dad to bark at it. Grin Still, he's probably an excellent crime deterrent, since no one could ever break in without Rocky going crazy and alerting everyone in the house.

Also, there are some definite emotional benefits of having him around. The purgatory of middle school was made much more bearable by having a four-legged friend wagging his whole body with joy every time I came home. Smiley The greeting continues to be an excellent pick-me-up. Frankly, that alone is enough to make up for any of his tiny misbehaviors.

IP Logged

smgjerald
Descens

Reply #26 - Jul 30th, 2007 at 3:21pm

Yeah,that is the great thing about dogs,they always show how happy they are to see you again Smiley

My st.Bernard is far from trained, he has learned to sit and lay down,and thatīs basically it,heīs so lazy I see no point in training him further Grin

smgjerald  
IP Logged

Monster
Descens

Calgary, Canada
Reply #27 - Jul 30th, 2007 at 8:50pm

I thought the reason for taking a dog along when slinging was to have a built in moving target when the rabbits and birds don't show up to be the targets  Smiley.  And knowing how good most of us are at aiming the dog is probably fairly save.

-Self inflicted wounds don't count for sympathy.&&

IP Logged

Dravonk
Funditor

Aachen, Germany
Reply #28 - Jul 31st, 2007 at 3:42am

Monster wrote on Jul 30th, 2007 at 8:50pm:
And knowing how good most of us are at aiming the dog is probably fairly save.

The dog might run to catch the "ball".

IP Logged

smgjerald
Descens

Reply #29 - Jul 31st, 2007 at 5:44am

I would never sling at a  dog..Only reason I even sling around Eldar is because frankly he doesnīt care. I donīt sling when there is a possibility that a dog might get hit.
However I have slung small light foamballs to have my other dog chase,they donīt go very far,but hey,it is for the dogs pleasure,not mine Smiley

Wonīt even think about what a full velocity rock can do to a dog..or human for that matter Huh

smgjerald  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, vetryan15, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Kick, joe_meadmaker, Chris)