Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
recyling broken folding knives (Read 2381 times)
person3

maryland
recyling broken folding knives
Jul 17th, 2007 at 1:37pm

one thing i have just figured out is that if you have a folding knive that has the handle broken beyond repair, you can remove the blade, sharpen the other side of it, add a handle, and you have a sheath knive, albiet a realy small one. one of the things i have done with these recycled knives is balance them so they are good for throwing. now, i can take what was formerly my most favorite pocket knive and sink it into a tree 15 feet away. has anyone else tried this. (and also, its good to be back, it been a ling time since i was on this forum

"you have to be a little bit skeptical or else you'll start believing in things like UFOs or elves or income tax rebates."-Monk&&
rocket idiot  
IP Logged

smgjerald
Descens

Ancient weaponry rules:-)

Redneck country,Norway:-D
Re: recyling broken folding knives
Reply #1 - Jul 17th, 2007 at 6:50pm

never made a throwing knife,but my favourite folding knife passed on recently so have a good blade. How do you design a balanced hilt for a throwing knife?

"What the hell are you doing now?"my dad everytime he came home and witnessed my siege weapon projects,the most patient man who ever lived:-)
smgjerald  
IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #2 - Jul 18th, 2007 at 11:23am

i did once tear apart a large beat up swiss army knife, and used the small pen blade attached to a small bit of wood for a mini knife that goes into one of those altoids tin survival kits.

i am waiting to find a good handle for the larger blade.

i have put the little hook and the awl (along with a large darning needle) onto a lanyard that i use for untying knots and things...

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #3 - Jul 22nd, 2007 at 10:29am

Another thing you can do is get several and re assemble them into a new knife. The parts are pretty much standardized, and so can be fit back together into "custom designed" pocket knives. You can have them with all kinds of blades, or just tools. I did a lot of this when I was younger. I would also make new sides of wood and bone.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #4 - Jul 22nd, 2007 at 10:30am

Oh, by the way, you can also re grind broken tips.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Monster
Descens

Calgary, Canada
Reply #5 - Aug 1st, 2007 at 7:10pm

Yes I have had too much practice grinding down knive tips.  I have a son who over the years would put knifes into wooded picnic tables and then pull them out at an angle.  More horizontal than vertical and snaped several knive tips.  They might work again but they never are as nice afterwards.

-Self inflicted wounds don't count for sympathy.&&

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark, Chris, David Morningstar)