Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Digging for truth - History channel - David (Read 4397 times)
english
Ex Member

Re: Digging for truth - History channel - David
Reply #15 - Jul 18th, 2007 at 12:22pm

Quote:
gotta admit I've never used the sling to try and do that however...
I'm not a bear expert, or even a particularly great slinger, but: don't.  It might look bad for the sport if a man died using a sling to get bears to go away.  Smiley

IP Logged

Bikewer
Interfector Viris Spurii

I love Slinging.org!

St. Louis, Mo
Reply #16 - Jul 18th, 2007 at 12:42pm

What species of bear was indigenous to that area 3000 years ago?   Not a very likely place for a big carnivore/omnivore.....Scrubby desert land for the most part.

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #17 - Jul 18th, 2007 at 1:44pm

I don't think David used a sling against those lions and tigers and bears (oh my!)

Samuel's first book, chapter 17.  King Saul is trying to persuade David that he is crazy to try this stunt (shepherd boy against seasoned warrior), and David replies that he has killed both bears and lions while watching his father's sheep.  "When he arose against me, I caught him by his beard, and smote him, and slew him."  This sounds more like he kept the beast off-balance while he bashed its brains out with his club.

Now, David may very well have used a sling to discourage various beasts, if he spotted them before they got to the flock.  But this example specifically concerned occasions when the beast had already picked up its take-out order (one lamb to go, please!) and David had to chase it down.

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Jul 18th, 2007 at 1:46pm

Quote:
What species of bear was indigenous to that area 3000 years ago?
Syrian brown bear.  Just checked Wikipedia.  And the article includes my favourite Bible reference! 2 Kings 2:23-24.  "It is suggested that this species of bear is the one Yahweh sent to maul the 42 youths that insulted Elisha in the Second Book of Kings of The Bible."

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #19 - Jul 19th, 2007 at 7:32am

okay a small brown bear - that's still a big animal and very fast.

We have friends in canada who have a brown bear (and before anyone gets uppity - both the canadian government officials and animal welfare societies have been so impressed with cears compound and care that they have offered our friends other bears to look after) and he's fast.

An example - my parents were over there a few weeks ago and watched a couple of chipmunks running through cesars compound. One of them must have touched his back paw, because he spun round so fast that the chipmunk barely got away. Cesar is now pretty much full grown and stands about 7 - 8 feet on his hind legs, if he reaches up he can touch the roof of the small end of the compound which is about 9 feet off the ground and lord alone knows what he weighs. And he's faster than a chipmunk (he had to turn a full 180 while the chipmunk just had to run lol)
I've seen him walk around his pool on a concrete ledge that is about 2 inches wide - as stable as though he was on flat land.

Yes he's bigger than most brown bears - simply because he's never had a tough winter or any kind of lack in his diet - I'm not exaggerating :-)

bears are awesome creatures. No one in their right mind would attempt to take one down with a sling - you're just going to piss it off.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #20 - Jul 19th, 2007 at 10:29am

I can't see David taking out a bear with either a club or a sling.  Unless it was a particularly small, orphaned cub.  Bullets find it hard to pierce the skull plate of a bear; what chance do sticks and rocks have, even powerfully thrown ones?  Sounds like lies to me.  But who can say for sure?  I don't think anyone would be up for an experiment, would they?

IP Logged

Bikewer
Interfector Viris Spurii

I love Slinging.org!

St. Louis, Mo
Reply #21 - Jul 19th, 2007 at 5:21pm

Not to be irreverent or anything, but like much of these writings.....It makes a good story.

IP Logged

Gunsonwheels

Slinging Rocks!

Wyoming Shoshone River Valley
Reply #22 - Jul 20th, 2007 at 1:31am

I'll have a go at it... let's see... I'll need my sling, 'bout a dozen 1" steel ball bearings, spear for finishing him off...  and oh yeh... .41 Magnum on my hip in case it all goes to hell along the way.   Grin

George N

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #23 - Jul 20th, 2007 at 4:45am

Pansy....... Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #24 - Jul 20th, 2007 at 6:34am

all you need is a big pit and a large pot of yoghurt to lure the bear into the pit. Bears love yoghurt :-)
Of course the other aspect of the story that doesn't ring true is that bears almost never take livestock. They much prefer fish, fruit, roots, insects etc.

Actually the best bet is to go to whichever amusement park has cartoon yogis running around and start there :-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

_kava_

Sling making fanatic ;)

Australia
Reply #25 - Jul 20th, 2007 at 7:33am

Amusement park official: Why did you do it son?

Kava_Fiend: " well it was like this, I was checkin' out the view, when I turned just in time to see him swiping my picinic basket...........honest".

Grin

_Orta recens quam pura nites_

some people are like Slinkies
     not really good for anything
        but they still bring a smile to your face
           when you push them down a flight of stairs

www.youtube.com/user/NoturnoNativa

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #26 - Jul 20th, 2007 at 12:00pm

lmao
exactly :-)

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #27 - Jul 20th, 2007 at 3:45pm

[
[/quote]

I couldn't agree more. It took years of research for Atlatl Bob to work out the proportions of the atlatl to make it as accurate as ancient weapons, and he was using advanced scientific knowledge. Our ancestors not only had cause to use their weapons frequently, but also make them while snowed in or otherwise not busy.
 I would hazard a very uneducated guess that the sling has a far more complex set of issues effecting accuracy than does the atlatl. String length, pouch dimensions, overall flexability of materials; weight, size & consistency, integrity & uniformity of projectiles; I'm sure that we could go on ad infinitum without even considering user experience, accuracy and personal dimensions or technique.

I would also note that the mythbuster's crew are stunt men. Their job is and has always been to create spectacular plausabilities, not to explore scientific reality with any degree of accuracy. Although some of the assistants do have engineering degrees they do not intend to make anything other than entertainment through exploration of limited possibilities. An entertaining show, but not even approaching the thoroughness of ancient civilizations, much less sound or thorough scientific method.

As an aside, fist-sized rocks probably weren't historically accurate, since David collected 5 stones according to historical accounts. They were probably about the size of a duck egg or so.
As for the damage caused, I believe that "sunk deep into Goliath's forehead" is used. From a physiologic standpoint, this is both possible and lethal.
[/quote]
besides have you ever met atla bob nuff said lol

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

lightfoot71
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Destin, Florida USA
Reply #28 - Jul 20th, 2007 at 11:57pm

Well I'm pretty well convinced David killed Goliath with his sling. I have just started myself, but I have noticed that if you use an overhand throw it pretty well goes in the direction you point your arm.  I haven't got the release point worked out yet so my range varies so much that I couldn't hit a target reliably.  Sheep herders have a lot of time on their hands and Israel has lots of stones.  If you spent several hours a day practicing I would imagine you could get pretty good at it.

I agree the bible says he cut his head off with his own sword (Goliaths), but I think it says he slew him with the sling.  By the way what size sword would a fellow 9' tall have?

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #29 - Jul 21st, 2007 at 5:22am

There is a theory that the story of bear and lion killing of David was made up after his dual with Goliath.  

After David was named king.  His people also name a star sign David.  And that whenever a shooting star fly across the sky from that direction to the star signs Leo (lion) or the big bear, his people would say that the heaven is displaying the deeds of David.

I think there was a meteor shower that occured near that time to support this theory but I am no expert.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, Kick, Rat Man, Chris, Morphy)