Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
slinger on horseback?? (Read 31485 times)
slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Re: slinger on horseback??
Reply #45 - Oct 5th, 2007 at 10:29am

The stirrup was "introduced" to Europe from the Mongols. We have them to thank for the idea of fighting on horseback. As a result, the entire way of warfare and the idea of "chivalry" came about.

If you can sling on a horse, does that mean you can do a drive ( or ride) by slinging of someone?

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

funda_iucunda

Watt den een sin Uhl is
den annern sin Nachtigal.

Germany (north of Hamburg)
Reply #46 - Oct 5th, 2007 at 3:44pm

The historicians use to overestimate the stirrups. You do not sit better with it on a horse. It is not possible that something hanging at leather strands down from the saddle will give you any support against the impact of the enemiey lance. At roman times the persian cataphractes attacked like the mideaval knights but without stirrups and with much success.
I myself often ride without stirrups and i feel comfortable without them. The advantage of stirrups for slinging on horseback is in my opinion limited to the possibility to stand up from the saddle so that an unlucky  wind up would be less dangerous for the horse.

funda iucunda

IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #47 - Oct 5th, 2007 at 7:17pm

Yep although it might be a bit slow.
And depending on your target they may riddle you with 10's of holes befroe you get away.

Marc Adkins

slingbadger wrote on Oct 5th, 2007 at 10:29am:
The 
 If you can sling on a horse, does that mean you can do a drive ( or ride) by slinging of someone?

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

Trebuchet
Descens

Ave, Caesar! Baliares
te salutimus!

Montgomery, AL
Reply #48 - Oct 7th, 2007 at 12:04am

smgjerald wrote on Jul 12th, 2007 at 7:54pm:
I consider myself a relatively experienced rider and would never consider actually trying it..The thought of what would happen if a shot went astray and hit my horse is somewhat unnerving..
Have learned to fire my bow from a horse allthough I am about 4feet from the target,not exactly a mongol warrior Grin After trying it for a few times my respect for  the mongols(and other cultures who used horse archers) went through the roof!!

Tales abound of overeager cavalry troops shooting their own horse in the back of the head by accident.

I know much more about Harley-Davidsons than I do horses, but I seem to recall noticing that some horse gaits are smoother than others.  Is this true, and would that enter into the slinging equation?

Trebuchet

Go tell the Spartans, stranger passing by, that here, obedient to their law we lie.&&&&

IP Logged

Trebuchet
Descens

Ave, Caesar! Baliares
te salutimus!

Montgomery, AL
Reply #49 - Oct 7th, 2007 at 12:05am

slingbadger wrote on Oct 5th, 2007 at 10:29am:
The stirrup was "introduced" to Europe from the Mongols. We have them to thank for the idea of fighting on horseback. As a result, the entire way of warfare and the idea of "chivalry" came about.

Now THAT would make headline news!

Trebuchet

Go tell the Spartans, stranger passing by, that here, obedient to their law we lie.&&&&

IP Logged

axon50

Dein Schleuder baut auf
Ihnen.

nz
Reply #50 - Nov 14th, 2007 at 12:31am

i recently went to a horse camp and seriously considered trying slinging on a horse, but i never got to try..... pity. Sad Wink

Žęr węron ongemang eallra žisra rinca seofone hund manna ža že węron wineserhande, žara ęlc cuše weorpan stan mid lišere and ne misweorpan. &&&&16 ferses 20 heafodwearde Demena bec. (Judges 20:16)

IP Logged

Mordechaj
Funditor

I love Slinging.org!

zagreb, croatia (europe)
Reply #51 - Nov 14th, 2007 at 1:01pm

do you think they'd let you try?
i don't think your mount would appreciate being hit in it's head or anywhere else for that matter, if the wind-up and release don't go as smoothly as you imagined them to go.  Wink

- resistance is NOT futile -

IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #52 - Nov 14th, 2007 at 10:18pm

Not something I would recomend on the horses at your average horse camp. they are acustomed to the same trails and riders with little skill.

Kinda like roping off one of them.

Best thing I could think of would be either to use the horizontal release or a no wind up vertical release ( like the Apache Style)

Marc Adkins

axon50 wrote on Nov 14th, 2007 at 12:31am:
i recently went to a horse camp and seriously considered trying slinging on a horse, but i never got to try..... pity. Sad Wink

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

axon50

Dein Schleuder baut auf
Ihnen.

nz
Reply #53 - Nov 15th, 2007 at 1:21am

your both right, but aussie is more so, that's one of the reason's i never tried. Wink

Žęr węron ongemang eallra žisra rinca seofone hund manna ža že węron wineserhande, žara ęlc cuše weorpan stan mid lišere and ne misweorpan. &&&&16 ferses 20 heafodwearde Demena bec. (Judges 20:16)

IP Logged

Ethan
Funditor

so much depends upon a
red wheelbarrow...

On the edge of a lake...
Reply #54 - Nov 23rd, 2007 at 8:50pm

Just want to make sure you don't screw up, or you just hamstrung or concussed your poor horse...

On reading Slingbadger's post, I immediately invisioned some wacko standing out a sunroof, slinging at pedestrians... Oh boy... :D

"Young men go to war. Sometimes because they have to, sometimes because they want to. Always, they feel they are supposed to. This comes from the sad, layered stories of life, which over the centuries have seen courage confused with picking up arms, and cowardice confused with putting them down."&&--Mitch Albom, The Five People you meet in Heaven
WWW Ethan Sithapprentice21  
IP Logged

sv
Funditor

ireland
Reply #55 - Dec 1st, 2007 at 7:20am

Quote:
I know much more about Harley-Davidsons than I do horses

i was looking at a harley, and went for a test ride on one, it was great, the sound and road presence, but then i saw in the accessory stand 6 chrome allen bolts which were worth about £3 - for £40!!! all the tinselly add-ons were overpriced beyond belief, so i rode away on my faster, smoother, more economical, better-braked and better-handling suzuki bandit - harley ownership is a con-trick, it's not a motorbike, it's a metal accessory for a costume drama......

but anyway, stirrups are for rising to the trot, which i can't do anyway because of a knackered hip-joint, and for preventing fatigue, as you don't have to grip with the legs as hard to avoid falling off.   

slinging from horseback would be easy for someone who can use a lasso as they would have the necessary co-ordination and muscle-memory. since i don't have a horse i have started slinging from my unicycle. so far without much success, but the effort involved is very good practice as it makes riding without slinging seem easy

here isn't me on a uni

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMRjaKdmjv8

SV

IP Logged

funda_iucunda

Watt den een sin Uhl is
den annern sin Nachtigal.

Germany (north of Hamburg)
Reply #56 - Dec 9th, 2007 at 4:06pm

sv,

amazing skill, but just looking down the rocks makes me sick  Embarrassed

IP Logged

ghostbear
Novicius

Be innovative, make it
yourself

Reply #57 - Jan 7th, 2008 at 4:25pm

The sling technique I use wouldn't be too difficult to use on horseback, but you would have to most likely throw across your body, the way that an archer would loose an arrow perpendicular to the horse. Also, you would have to develop your leg muscles to hold onto the horse by squeezing your legs in while you prepared your sling and let the rocks fly. I don't think that slinging from horseback would beat any distance records though. The weight shift would be much more difficult.

If you can avoid a fight, avoid it. If you cannot avoid the fight, Win. Whatever your tactics may be, the Strategy should be Win.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #58 - Jan 8th, 2008 at 11:10am

Do we have yet another use for the curious aardvark patented short sling ? I believe we do :-)
For horse back try a 16 inch sling. Minimum arm movement needed, power good to about 150 yards no long cords to get tangled round the horses head :-)
Even fig 8 works in a very compact swing area.

2008 - the year of the short sling !
lol

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Ethan
Funditor

so much depends upon a
red wheelbarrow...

On the edge of a lake...
Reply #59 - Jan 8th, 2008 at 11:55am

You patented a short sling? Assuming that was just an embellishment, why do you claim to have invented it? Just an unusually short sling, or does it have special aspects?
Because, I'll tell you right now, short slings have been my favorite since I started several years ago... And designed without the help of this site, either.
False claims!!  Wink

"Young men go to war. Sometimes because they have to, sometimes because they want to. Always, they feel they are supposed to. This comes from the sad, layered stories of life, which over the centuries have seen courage confused with picking up arms, and cowardice confused with putting them down."&&--Mitch Albom, The Five People you meet in Heaven
WWW Ethan Sithapprentice21  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, Rat Man)