Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
slinger on horseback?? (Read 31488 times)
Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Re: slinger on horseback??
Reply #30 - Jul 30th, 2007 at 8:51am

[quote]I've used lariat, stock whips, sorting staff, and hand gun from horse back[/quote]
darn you need a ten gallon hat not a tie :-)

I love the idea of trying to sling from a bucking bull. Had you recently been watching jackass ?
mad, totally mad - but I can see where you'd have to give it  a go lol

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

smgjerald
Descens

Ancient weaponry rules:-)

Redneck country,Norway:-D
Reply #31 - Jul 30th, 2007 at 11:56am

actually no, ages since I saw jackass Grin

I had alot of fun with the bull,then I went inside and went online and saw the slinger on horseback thread and the cogwheels in my head started turning Smiley

Had the bull on the lowest setting,setting it to max and attempting to sling would be   
suicidal without a crash helmet Cheesy

By the way I now demand we call Steven "Tex" from now on lol Wink

"What the hell are you doing now?"my dad everytime he came home and witnessed my siege weapon projects,the most patient man who ever lived:-)
smgjerald  
IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Reply #32 - Jul 30th, 2007 at 12:17pm

[quote author=curious_aardvark link=1184197610/30#30 date=1185799867]
darn you need a ten gallon hat not a tie :-) [/quote]

Tried a 10 Gallon but it kept falling down to my shoulders  ;D

Way Back in the day .... I was a farmer not a cowboy . Perfured headgear was a gimmie cap (baseball cap) 8-)

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...
THIS ADVICE IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Reply #33 - Jul 30th, 2007 at 12:26pm

Mordechaj wrote on Jul 19th, 2007 at 12:35pm:

from our historical gallery Wink

Those could be a large antelope.

Saddle Mounts down through the years.
Elephant, Camel, Horse, Mule, Donkey, Ass, Zebra, Elk, Llama , Oxen, Yak ...
and many more I'm sure. Those are just the top contenders.
« Last Edit: Jul 30th, 2007 at 3:31pm by Steven »  

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #34 - Jul 31st, 2007 at 10:40am

smgjerald wrote on Jul 23rd, 2007 at 3:39pm:
Yeah,well if I had a group of naked dwarfs or pygmies coming at me on goats I would run wether they had slings or not.. Grin

I think if I saw that coming toward me, I would stop taking whatever I was on.
  However, the idea of fantasy and strangeness is nothing new. You would portray far flung cultures as strange and exotic, even if they weren't.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

smgjerald
Descens

Reply #35 - Jul 31st, 2007 at 11:41am

Doesn´t necessarily mean it is fantasy,your head works in a strange way after a fight(one tank turns to many,you belive a hundred men is 1000 etc.) they may actually have depicted what was described to them.
If this was something from a real event the fighter may actually have thought this was what they were up against.

Yeah,I am completely ranting now,but just thought about my time in the force when I was so exhausted I was sure the snowcovered woods hid divisions of enemies. Also thought a snowcovered tree was Donkey Kong,but well,5 days of continual marching and 2 hours sleep can really mess with your head Wink

"What the hell are you doing now?"my dad everytime he came home and witnessed my siege weapon projects,the most patient man who ever lived:-)
smgjerald  
IP Logged

smgjerald
Descens

Reply #36 - Jul 31st, 2007 at 11:42am

Completely off topic,but hurrah,I am a full member now:D

smgjerald  
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #37 - Aug 1st, 2007 at 12:55pm

The picture title says that is a picture of scythians.

according to wikipedia this is a picture of a scythian
[img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/ed/Behistun.Inscript.Skunkha.jpg/170px-Behistun.Inscript.Skunkha.jpg[/img]

is it just me or is that not the classic europaen depiction of a gnome ?

Also says that scythians is a name applied to lots of different tribes. Could well be one of them ode around on antelopes.
Hell if billy goat riding gnomes with slings came at me - I'd definitely run.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

funda_iucunda

Watt den een sin Uhl is
den annern sin Nachtigal.

Germany (north of Hamburg)
Reply #38 - Aug 23rd, 2007 at 3:58pm

Don't worry, that guy looks rather like a smerf tied with a sling.

IP Logged

funda_iucunda

Watt den een sin Uhl is
den annern sin Nachtigal.

Germany (north of Hamburg)
Reply #39 - Aug 23rd, 2007 at 4:48pm

Dravonk,

today I read this topic again and realized that I missed to answer your question of July 28:

"Did they chose this fashion just for civilian riding or also during battle despite the disadvantages? Do you know sources for it? (I just gave a quick look to Xenophon's "On Horsemanship" on the internet, but couldn't find the part, just something about not hitting the horse with the leg when mounting). "

It is not known wether the Greeks used underwear during battle. But as far as one can conclude from roman times they used saddles which supported hold. This is important because without saddle it is difficult to get back to the (crucial) point of gravity during the heat of the fight. Though there are many pictures of Greek horse riding it is not sure that the ancient pictures show the realistic equipment. Often artistic conventions ruled the painting and demanded a idealistic depiction of what looked very different in real live. I have no sources about classical Greek times. But Marcus Junkelmann published a very good book about the roman horsemanship (Die Reiter Roms, Bd. I-III, Verlag von Zabern). He checked the current theories about ancient horsemanship by using replicas of archeological findings with recent horses, broken bones included.

There is a misunderstanding. I didn't write that the Greeks got on a horse back without touching it with the leg. Xenophon recommended that one should first support one self with long arms up on the horse back and than get the right leg to the right side of the horse without resting with it on the back. "Mounting this way one wouldn't look awfully from the back". This remark makes sense if underwear is not common.

funda

IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #40 - Aug 24th, 2007 at 2:30am

After Reading some of the posts in this thread I ahve to agree with Steven here. I never graduated to using a lariat on horseback, 'cause I never could master the horizontal throw my male realitives used and being the racists they were they decided that my vertical "south of the Border" style wasn't right either so no horseback lariat for little marc.

the horse can be trained to work witht he rider either slinging or using the lariat.Although if I ever get back in the saddle again I'll give my old vertical release a try and hopefully not spook my horse too much, too many scars from that Smiley

Marc Adkins

Steven wrote on Jul 29th, 2007 at 10:22am:
Sling from horse back ... why not ... I've used lariat, stock whips, sorting staff, and hand gun from horse back. ... just a matter of getting the horse used to your foolish activities..... don't currently have a horse to work with ... don't plan on getting one.  I agree with smgjerald horizotal overhead is the way to go.when mounted.

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #41 - Aug 24th, 2007 at 2:33am

Probably not the best test for a mounted slinger. Mechanical bulls are designed to mimic the bull bucking not walking or running. If my horse started doing those types of manuevers slinging would be the last thing on my mind. First thing would try and get the horse under control.

Marc Adkins

smgjerald wrote on Jul 28th, 2007 at 10:28pm:
Lol,just tried slinging from a mechanical steer(lowest setting)and..well,I now have a fist sized bruise on my right shin Undecided

when I finally managed to follow the motions of the apparatus I actually managed to sling two stones(didn´t have a specific target,just wanted to see if I could sling)
my conclusions:
overhand is extremely difficult,and so is the underhand throw.
Got most success when I angled the sling from a helicopter throw.(something between underhand/helicopter)

If anyone of you want to try this use tennis balls.seriously.a sling loaded with a stone at full momentum hitting your shin is unbelievably painful.
I actually thought my leg was broken,but fortunately it was just my pride that got shattered Wink

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #42 - Aug 24th, 2007 at 2:34am

Ranching Family here, and when we weren't riding those caps were our preferred headgear as well.

Marc Adkins

Steven wrote on Jul 30th, 2007 at 12:17pm:
Curious Aardvark wrote on Jul 30th, 2007 at 8:51am:
darn you need a ten gallon hat not a tie Smiley

Tried a 10 Gallon but it kept falling down to my shoulders  Grin

Way Back in the day .... I was a farmer not a cowboy . Perfured headgear was a gimmie cap (baseball cap) Cool

WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

Trebuchet
Descens

Ave, Caesar! Baliares
te salutimus!

Montgomery, AL
Reply #43 - Oct 3rd, 2007 at 9:13pm

When was the stirrup invented?  That was the real key to stability unless you happen to be a Steppes horseman or American Indian?

Trebuchet

Smiley

funda_iucunda wrote on Aug 23rd, 2007 at 4:48pm:
Dravonk,

today I read this topic again and realized that I missed to answer your question of July 28:

"Did they chose this fashion just for civilian riding or also during battle despite the disadvantages? Do you know sources for it? (I just gave a quick look to Xenophon's "On Horsemanship" on the internet, but couldn't find the part, just something about not hitting the horse with the leg when mounting). "

It is not known wether the Greeks used underwear during battle. But as far as one can conclude from roman times they used saddles which supported hold. This is important because without saddle it is difficult to get back to the (crucial) point of gravity during the heat of the fight. Though there are many pictures of Greek horse riding it is not sure that the ancient pictures show the realistic equipment. Often artistic conventions ruled the painting and demanded a idealistic depiction of what looked very different in real live. I have no sources about classical Greek times. But Marcus Junkelmann published a very good book about the roman horsemanship (Die Reiter Roms, Bd. I-III, Verlag von Zabern). He checked the current theories about ancient horsemanship by using replicas of archeological findings with recent horses, broken bones included.

There is a misunderstanding. I didn't write that the Greeks got on a horse back without touching it with the leg. Xenophon recommended that one should first support one self with long arms up on the horse back and than get the right leg to the right side of the horse without resting with it on the back. "Mounting this way one wouldn't look awfully from the back". This remark makes sense if underwear is not common.

funda

Go tell the Spartans, stranger passing by, that here, obedient to their law we lie.&&&&

IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Reply #44 - Oct 5th, 2007 at 9:13am

Trebuchet wrote on Oct 3rd, 2007 at 9:13pm:
When was the stirrup invented?  ...

http://www.computersmiths.com/chineseinvention/stirrup.htm Seems to be a recent invention ... considering how long the horse has been a domestic animal.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, Rat Man, David Morningstar, Chris, Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark)