Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Re: New to Slings
Reply #30 - Jul 21st, 2007 at 11:32am

got any local beaches ?

stones - sea - perfect combination :-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Gunsonwheels

Slinging Rocks!

Wyoming Shoshone River Valley
Reply #31 - Jul 21st, 2007 at 1:39pm

Didn't notice it before but does C_A have a picture with three fingers of seperation between retained and release cords for the grip that is labeled "two fingers between attachment and retention cord"???...  and aren't the attachment and retention cord(s) one in the same?  ...and whichever you choose to call the one you hook to your wrist or finger, the other is called the release cord?  ...or is it two fingers between the attachment of the retention cord and its exit from the hand?

...I think I am both confused and seeing double   Smiley  Undecided

George N

IP Logged

Zippo
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Earth
Reply #32 - Jul 22nd, 2007 at 9:27am

[quote author=curious_aardvark link=1184071375/30#30 date=1185031926]got any local beaches ?

stones - sea - perfect combination :-)[/quote]

Yea .. but I don't really have the time though .. with studies and trainings..

Btw I tried slinging golf balls in a field today and they don't seem to fly far. Only slightly further than when thrown by hand. The cords i'm using are old shoe laces .. would changing them to something else make the sling more effective? Or does the problem lie with my technique?

IP Logged

smgjerald
Descens

Ancient weaponry rules:-)

Redneck country,Norway:-D
Reply #33 - Jul 22nd, 2007 at 9:34am

my first sling was a simple puch and shoelaces and had the exact same problem as you..Just a matter of training and technique. Trained with the same crappy sling,and eventually got better accuracy and distance. Just keep at it and you will get there.
Now I use a braided sling with 3 braided string pouch and I love it Cheesy

"What the hell are you doing now?"my dad everytime he came home and witnessed my siege weapon projects,the most patient man who ever lived:-)
smgjerald  
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #34 - Jul 22nd, 2007 at 11:16am

it's technique - you could probbaly do with slightly longer cords but you still should be able to get a golf ball much further with a sling than with throwing.
Although I did once watch a program about an olympic javelin thrower who beat a golfer round a golf course and he did just throw the ball. Mind you he was built like a bloody battleship.

gow - the retention cord is the one you don't let go of :-)

I move the RETENTION cord across. The (tries it to be sure) release cord hangs on the outside of the same finger I have the retention cord attached to - hence no finger counted as seperation as both cords are touching the same finger.

Because it's on the outside you are counting that finger as being spacing and I'm not :-)
does that help ?

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Gunsonwheels

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #35 - Jul 22nd, 2007 at 10:04pm

I'm beginning to think everything I ever learned about slings and slinging is wrong... I have always looped my middle finger and allowed the retained cord to cross the inside of my index and exit right next to the retained cord knot thus giving NO seperation of the cords... maybe Dad taught me that way so I'd nevert use any multi-rev techniques that'd twist those siamesed cords... and I think if I'd ever used woven cords (in lieu of hard finish covers) my releases would be all over the place.  After seeing your photos I moved the loop to my ring finger, trailed it across the inside of my middle finger and allowed it to exit the hand between my index and middle fingers.  Same exit as yours (the index finger seperating the cords) but the loop attached to a different finger.

I get the impression from various posts that the wider grip forms allow a greater variety of throwing... things like files, rods, and maybe even football-shaped glands into a spiraled flight...???  I doubt Dave Engall could get his dart out my grip at all...   Undecided

George N

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #36 - Jul 23rd, 2007 at 12:27pm

lol - if the way you sling works (golf ball 175 yards) then it's right :-)

The way I sling is right for me. I developed it all on my own without even knowing there were any other methods.
It works for me :-)
Also I have very strong index fingers after 30 odd years of yo-yoing. So for me the yo-yo string finger is the natural finger for my sling loop. The fact that it also allows for a variety of different width grips was incidental to it being my yo-yo finger and the one I was used to having string round :-)

But yeah the 'everything we know is wrong' feeling seems to get more frequent the more you think you learn ;-)

IP Logged

Gunsonwheels

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #37 - Jul 23rd, 2007 at 7:08pm

"Every answer generates two (or more) new questions".   Or the more I learn the more I realize I don't know.  Quite an awesome task for the organization... trying to rediscover slinging.   Huh

George N

IP Logged

lightfoot71
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Destin, Florida USA
Reply #38 - Jul 30th, 2007 at 2:36pm

Dale wrote on Jul 11th, 2007 at 6:54pm:
Actually, I use this method too.  I tie a perfection loop or a bowline in the end of my cord, or even loop the cord back on itself and tie a figure-8 knot.  Then I push the loop through the hole in the leather, pass the other end of the cord through the pushed-through part of the loop, and cinch it down.  That last bit is especially easy with the figure-8 knot. Very secure, I've never had one of these come apart.  I illustrated the process
here

I just got my Aussie pouch #67, and used this method to attach the lines to the pouch.  I used a very tight weave 1/8" nylon line, works great.  Thanks Aussie Slinger and Dale for your help.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Chris, Rat Man, Kick, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, Morphy)