IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Re: New to Slings
Reply #16 - Jul 16th, 2007 at 4:54am

It's on the way, but I sure hope it's up to your expectation. Remember as Dale said, making a sling is relatively easy, making the slinger is the hard part.

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

Zippo
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Earth
Reply #17 - Jul 16th, 2007 at 9:49am

well i haven't even touched a sling in my life yet so I don't really have any expectations to start with. As long as it works, I'll be happy Smiley

IP Logged

Dravonk
Funditor

Aachen, Germany
Reply #18 - Jul 16th, 2007 at 1:05pm

The pouch will work. Whether your coordination will work is another question. Start with safe projectiles and don't give up, even when it might be frustrating at the start. Don't worry when you don't get far or you don't hit a target. That is normal. When I started I used the Apache style and my throws went everywhere! Sometimes even in the desired direction. Wink

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #19 - Jul 17th, 2007 at 6:26am

lol on the other hand I've never had a problem with getting things a fair distance. But then I was starting from scratch with no knowlege whatsoever and ended up using sidearm as the most natural style for me.

I suspect the most important thing is not to think about it too hard. Don't think: 'I must do it this way' or 'stand like this'. Just attach strings, load  a rock and do what seems to be the most natural.

It was probably nearly twenty years from when I first tried a sling to actually trying different styles (which is entirely down to slinging.org - but I was a confident slinger long before I ever knew there WERE different styles). I can now pretty much use every style, but it's taken a long time :-)

The only thing I would say is don't worry about accuracy - at least for the first few years ;-)
lol

As long as you can consistently get a rock in roughly the area you were aiming for - that's good enough for practice and the more you practrice the closer you get :-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Zippo
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Earth
Reply #20 - Jul 18th, 2007 at 9:25am

SWEET .. got the pouch!! Thats real fast!! Now to find some cords ...

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #21 - Jul 18th, 2007 at 10:57am

bootlaces are always a good place to start - or old trainer laces :-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Zippo
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Earth
Reply #22 - Jul 18th, 2007 at 11:10am

Done! Ok .. now .. a stupid question but how do I put on the sling? Assuming I'm using a finger loop, from the loop, the cord is supposed to go away from the back of my hand? or away from my palm? And how do I hold the retention cord?

IP Logged

Gunsonwheels

Slinging Rocks!

Wyoming Shoshone River Valley
Reply #23 - Jul 18th, 2007 at 12:25pm

C_A had some photos he posted with various "holds"... narrow, medium and wide.  Maybe he'll post the link...

George N

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #24 - Jul 18th, 2007 at 3:13pm

Zippo,

There are two basic ways to hold a sling: a narrow grip or a wide grip.  Neither is "better", they both have their uses. 

With the narrow grip, you have the finger loop on one finger, and the cord passes up your palm and between your thumb and index finger; the release cord is also held between thumb and index finger.  The two cords are side-by-side.  Here is a photo of a narrow grip; this is how Nwmanitou holds his sling, with the retained cord looped on the middle finger:

With the wide grip, you have the finger loop on one finger, and the cord goes away from the back of your hand.  The retained cord is again held between your thumb and index finger.  The two cords are some distance apart.  Here is a photo of a wide grip; this is Leon, with the fingerloop on his middle finger and the release cord (with a wooden or bone toggle attached) held between thumb and index finger:
If you want greater separation, put the fingerloop on your ring finger.

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

Gunsonwheels

Slinging Rocks!

Wyoming Shoshone River Valley
Reply #25 - Jul 18th, 2007 at 9:25pm

I have been experimenting with different grips/holds trying to see if I can achieve any better consistency with my release.  I've always used what Dale calls and shows as "narrow" but after reading C_A's post I have taken the looped, retained cord and moved it around...  If you move it from the middle finger to the ring finger and allow the retained cord to exit between the index finger and the middle finger then you will have a one-finger seperation of the cords and a slightly wider grip than Dale's narrow...  Moving the loop to the pinky and the exit to between the middle and ring fingers will give an even wider grip (two fingers - Dale's other picture)... moving the loop back to the middle finger and the exit to between the ring and pinky gives another finger's width to the grip (three fingers seperation) and lastly, moving the loop to the ring finger and allowing the retained cord to exit off the side of the hand/pinky will give an even wider grip (four fingers of seperation).  I still like Dale's narrow the best but think I see better consistency with the one-finger's seperation.

All the above is done while keeping the release cord firmly pinched between the index finger and the thumb until the moment of release.  All the various grips are objectively aimed at keeping the retained and release cords seperated (or at least not twisted) so they don't interfere with each other at the moment of release...  and what seems to work the best for the slinger.   My "narrow" requires my placing the release cord on the correct side of the retained or they won't release cleanly... for me.

Have fun seeing what works best for you.  Kinda like "for every rule there's always at least one exception".

George N

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #26 - Jul 19th, 2007 at 7:13am

(hee hee) [quote]Neither is "better[/quote]
Wide is better :-)
why ? less chance of a cord tangle, keeps the pouch open and allows for a smoother release of the missile :-) Which aids both accuracy and distance.
Okay it's nit picking and you need to be a real anorack to appreciate the difference - but it is better.

My method for adjusting grip is attached - works well and gives you three different widths of grip with a minimal adjustment :-)
I pretty much just use the middle grip these days - unless I've got some kind of real big rock in the pouch.
The less of an angle you have between the cords hanging down from your hand and the pouch ends the better the whole throw should be. ie: the nearer to parallel the cords are the better.

It's not obvious on the pics but I've just got a lasso loop round the base of my index finger pulled tight. I'm a strong advocate of a sliding loop for the retention cord. Fixed loops don't give you the same confidence. Captain paul uses a piece of sliding leather on his retention cords that is seriously comfortable. I just make a loop and pass the cord back through it :-)

IP Logged

Zippo
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Earth
Reply #27 - Jul 20th, 2007 at 6:38am

Thanks for all the pics! Wanted to make a post yesterday but something is wrong with the forum. Just can't seem to access it sometimes.

Anyways I went to sling for the first time yesterday and was unknowingly using a wide grip. It was loads of fun, though I really have to practise more on my accuracy heh.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #28 - Jul 20th, 2007 at 12:01pm

Excellent - a new slinger is born :-)

IP Logged

Zippo
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Earth
Reply #29 - Jul 21st, 2007 at 8:56am

Haha I'm totally addicted to slinging .. but its kinda hard to find somewhere safe to sling here in tiny Singapore. So far I only sling a tennis ball in a huge hall when its empty.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Morphy, vetryan15, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, Chris, Kick)