Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Destin, Florida USA
Hello From Florida
Jul 9th, 2007 at 9:21pm

http://slinging.org/forum/yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/smiley.gif
Smiley
Hi Guys,
Neat forum and web site.  Blundered on to it by accident. I live in Destin Florida, white sand and emerald green water.  No rocks.  I tried slinging a long time ago with a make shift sling.  I was amazed at how far you could throw a big rock.  After that I figured Goliath was out gunned.  I haven't even thought about it until I found this site.  I am already looking around for something to make a sling out of.

I think I have an old pair of boots in the closet, and I'm not far from a good hardware store.  I am impressed at all of the slings in the photos.  It's going to be hard to settle on a design.  Have fun!

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Re: Hello From Florida
Reply #1 - Jul 10th, 2007 at 5:01pm

[quote]After that I figured Goliath was out gunned[/quote]
EXACTLY !
that was my first thought after using a sling for the first time. My second thought was 'I bet the david had a serious bet on himself with the bookies' ;-)
He had to get all that money for palaces and crowns and stuff from somewhere the kid was probably a sling hustler lol

Alas that's how my mind works. I console my self with the simple fact that at least it does work.

welcome to the forum.

here's a an idea for making sling missiles using sand. Mix the dry sand with a small amount of pva glue till it forms a stiff paste and mould it to glandes. should set pretty hard :-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

lightfoot71
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Destin, Florida USA
Reply #2 - Jul 10th, 2007 at 7:15pm

Hi Curious_AArdvark,
That idea might work.  I have enough materail to work with.  What's pva glue? We do go to texas two or three times each year and there are plenty of stones there.  Plenty of room too, as long as I don't hit a cow.

Wasn't that you who used the super glue on the pouch?  That looked like a good idea.  There are a lot of good ideas on this site.  I have a lot to experiment

with.http://slinging.org/forum/yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/cool.gif
Cool

IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Reply #3 - Jul 11th, 2007 at 10:08am

lightfoot71 wrote on Jul 10th, 2007 at 7:15pm:
... What's pva glue? ...

Poly Vinyl Acetate  aka white glue .... Elmers

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...
THIS ADVICE IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #4 - Jul 15th, 2007 at 11:34am

anything that's labelled 'general purpose glue - solvent free'. or 'wood glue - solvent free' is generally pva.
It's white, cheap and available just about everywere - all buck stores and hardware stores sell it. often in large containers for very little money. If you dilute it down with 50% water (ie 100ml glue add 50ml water) it will mix more readily with the sand and still be firm enough to mould and hold shape, if you've got it throw in some sawdust as a binding agent as well. If you don't have any find a local woodturner or joiner and they'll gladly give you as much as you can carry lol

I use super glue to shape leather pouches and seal knots. So yep proably me. If it's quick and dirty but it works - probably me lol

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark, Chris, David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man)