Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Last known use of slings? (Read 2489 times)
wanderer
Interfector Viris Spurii

Texas
Re: Last known use of slings?
Reply #15 - Jul 13th, 2007 at 9:11pm

Here is an interesting link which turns the recent business of Palestinian slingers 'on its head'... apparently at least some Israeli soldiers could use the sling.
  http://www.ucalgary.ca/~elsegal/Shokel/880527_Rock4Rock.html

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #16 - Jul 17th, 2007 at 6:31am

excellent article.
Also useful as it indicates wide spread use of slings in africa - at least ethiopa anyway.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

person3

maryland
Reply #17 - Jul 20th, 2007 at 1:39pm

i was reading this one fantasy book were they used staff slings to sling crude hand grenades at people

"you have to be a little bit skeptical or else you'll start believing in things like UFOs or elves or income tax rebates."-Monk&&
rocket idiot  
IP Logged

Dravonk
Funditor

Aachen, Germany
Reply #18 - Jul 20th, 2007 at 3:53pm

wanderer wrote on Jul 13th, 2007 at 9:11pm:
Here is an interesting link which turns the recent business of Palestinian slingers 'on its head'... apparently at least some Israeli soldiers could use the sling.
  http://www.ucalgary.ca/~elsegal/Shokel/880527_Rock4Rock.html

Quote:
Desta showed our commanding officer how to tie together a sling. He showed him how to swing it so that it made a swooshing sound. He showed him how to turn off the sound.

Ok, how do you turn the sound on or off? Does it mean the whip crack at the end? I thought you could only turn that off by using a different sling.

It would be quite cool to have him on this forum. The text was from 1988, the events from around 1983.

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #19 - Jul 20th, 2007 at 7:56pm

Quote:
He showed him how to swing it so that it made a swooshing sound. He showed him how to turn off the sound.

Since the writer records that Desta showed how to cause the sling to make a swooshing sound, I believe it is justifiable to conclude that Desta then showed how to turn off the swooshing sound.  We are therefore not talking about the whip-crack (or usually, in my case, the *whuff*) from the end of the sling cord.

That swooshing sound seems to relate to the stiffness of my cords.  My dacron sling cords are stiffer, and louder, than my nylon sling cords.  The sling cords I braided myself from twine, are quite pliable and very quiet.  I am wondering if Desta just worked the cords until they were no longer stiff.

"Turn off the sound" may be a poor choice of words, since (at least to mechanically-minded folks like me) it implies an ability to turn it ON again.  It may be that once quieted, the cords cannot be made noisy again.

Quit laughing, Aardvark!  I meant that I like mechanical stuff, not that I am a robot!

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

Dravonk
Funditor

Aachen, Germany
Reply #20 - Jul 22nd, 2007 at 1:35pm

Dale wrote on Jul 20th, 2007 at 7:56pm:
We are therefore not talking about the whip-crack (or usually, in my case, the *whuff*) from the end of the sling cord.

Ah yes, I mixed that up. The whip-crack can be louder so I thought it might be more undesirable.

Dale wrote on Jul 20th, 2007 at 7:56pm:
That swooshing sound seems to relate to the stiffness of my cords.  My dacron sling cords are stiffer, and louder, than my nylon sling cords.  The sling cords I braided myself from twine, are quite pliable and very quiet.  I am wondering if Desta just worked the cords until they were no longer stiff.

Hmm...it said "how to swing it".

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Rat Man, Morphy, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, Kick)