Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Last known use of slings? (Read 2474 times)
smgjerald
Descens

Ancient weaponry rules:-)

Redneck country,Norway:-D
Last known use of slings?
Jul 9th, 2007 at 10:10am

Okay, I am relatively new to this forum and had something to ask you: when was the last known use of the sling in a major battle?

My grandfather fought on the eastern front(Norwegian volunteer to SS Viking) against the russians and it was through him I first heard of staffslings.
before a main attack they would use a staffsling to hurl grenades into russian trenches,specially far away machinegun nests.one of the reasons were it was suicide to stand up to throw a grenade since snipers would blow your head of if you did.
As far as he could remember it was a finnish guy who introduced the idea,since the finnish army had used it against the russians in the vinterwar(were my grandfather also fought)

this is the last known account I have heard of military use of the slings, if my grandfather were alive today I would have asked him more about this subject..

Anyone have other stories?

"What the hell are you doing now?"my dad everytime he came home and witnessed my siege weapon projects,the most patient man who ever lived:-)
smgjerald  
IP Logged

Dravonk
Funditor

Aachen, Germany
Re: Last known use of slings?
Reply #1 - Jul 9th, 2007 at 12:49pm

There are pictures with soldiers using handslings from the spanish civil war.

The Russian/Finnish war you mentioned is also known.

Well and then a war/conflict with slings is still going on between Isreal and Palestine. At least there are many pictures of Palestines hurling a sling.

IP Logged

smgjerald
Descens

Reply #2 - Jul 9th, 2007 at 1:13pm

my entire point with this thread is to prove that slinging is an art that will never completely disappear,always reappear sooner or later.
Fun that such an ancient weapon can not only coexcist with modern weaponry but actually improve it in some ways(staff sling used with molotov,grenades etc to improve distance)

Maybe I am weird,but find this quite fascinating Cool

"What the hell are you doing now?"my dad everytime he came home and witnessed my siege weapon projects,the most patient man who ever lived:-)
smgjerald  
IP Logged

Bikewer
Interfector Viris Spurii

I love Slinging.org!

St. Louis, Mo
Reply #3 - Jul 10th, 2007 at 12:08pm

The Palestinians have been using them steadily during their various "Intifada" activities.   Any number of videos on CNN and the like of youths slinging rocks at the Israelis.

IP Logged

smgjerald
Descens

Reply #4 - Jul 10th, 2007 at 12:28pm

yeah,the palestinians use slings against the israeli,and the logical response from the israeli is machinegun fire..israeli fear stone age ballistics Cool

smgjerald  
IP Logged

funda_iucunda

Watt den een sin Uhl is
den annern sin Nachtigal.

Germany (north of Hamburg)
Reply #5 - Jul 10th, 2007 at 3:17pm

"yeah,the palestinians use slings against the israeli,and the logical response from the israeli is machinegun fire..israeli fear stone age ballistics"

We all saw the pictures of Palestinian kids slinging in a dramaticly looking surrounding. But does anybody know details about the fights actually went on and what force Israeli soldiers used against slingers?

funda

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #6 - Jul 10th, 2007 at 4:43pm

American soldiers used them in vietnam.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #7 - Jul 10th, 2007 at 5:15pm

References, please?  Where did you learn this, who used them, for what, and all those other pesky questions.

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

smgjerald
Descens

Reply #8 - Jul 10th, 2007 at 6:14pm

Well,as to US troops using them in vietnam, I guess for about the same reason my granfathers unit used em´throwing grenades,explosives,smoke grenades and such.. Have tried getting in touch with a few of my granddads fellow ss soldiers to hear if they can enlighten me more about the use of slings on the eastern front,will post here when I learn something new Cool

Well,as to israeli vs palestinians: Don´t think we can really say anything for certain,media has a tendency to mess storys up a bit..
BUT,consider this,when you heard that a israeli soldier was hurt what happened next?poof,missile is launched and there goes a city block..You see dead palestinians shot to death,but never a armed one.

Don´t mean to offend anyone,just commenting on what I have observed..
Won´t take sides in that conflict,have both palestinians and jews as friends and have no desire to be caught in the middle..

smgjerald  
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #9 - Jul 10th, 2007 at 7:20pm

[quote]I guess for about the same reason my granfathers unit used em´throwing grenades,explosives,smoke grenades and such[/quote]
Nope, for very quiet kills.
One of the guys on the forum brought it up, more as a point on the sheer unpleasantness of killing someone - but sounded pretty genuine to me.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #10 - Jul 10th, 2007 at 8:08pm

You are right; I had forgotten that tale.

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

Dravonk
Funditor

Aachen, Germany
Reply #11 - Jul 11th, 2007 at 4:16am

What tale? I searched the forum for "vietnam" but didn't find anything interesting...

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #12 - Jul 11th, 2007 at 6:45am

lol it was in the nastiest sling missile thread if my dodgy memory serves me.

IP Logged

Dravonk
Funditor

Aachen, Germany
Reply #13 - Jul 11th, 2007 at 7:42am

Oh yes, although he didn't state what he used as projectile.

IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #14 - Jul 12th, 2007 at 10:27pm

There was a thread where one of the Forumites described an attack on his unit when he was in Somalia. I don't have the thread with me cause I'm outta town. But I have it in hardcopy back at the house in my slinging files

Marc Adkins

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Rat Man, Kick, Curious Aardvark, Morphy, Chris)