Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Another Texan Reporting (Read 2333 times)
brass

Slinging Rocks!

Texas
Another Texan Reporting
Jul 5th, 2007 at 1:55pm

As it is summer, and it has been raining cats and dogs lately, I have had the hobby of researching any topic that pops into my head. This one, especially caught my eye. I've always had an interest in ancient weapons, as they seem so much more interesting than guns. I have yet to make my first sling, but when i get the supplies I hope to at least make a semi-functional one. Wish me luck! Grin

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Re: Another Texan Reporting
Reply #1 - Jul 5th, 2007 at 3:37pm

Good luck!

Making a functional sling is easy, you should have no problem.

The tricky part is, making a functional slinger. I have spent two and a half years on that part, still working at it... Grin

LATER: I guess I should add that it has been a very enjoyable time, learning the sling.  Even though I am not as good as I could wish, there is much enjoyment in the learning.

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

lightfoot71
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Destin, Florida USA
Reply #2 - Jul 5th, 2007 at 10:47pm

Hi,
I am new also.  When I log in it says I have a message.  How do you find them?

IP Logged

wanderer
Interfector Viris Spurii

Texas
Reply #3 - Jul 6th, 2007 at 12:49am

Greetings Brass,

Well, the weather has advantages even for slingers. It makes for time to braid slings if you are into that kind of thing. But after the wettest June on record, I'm waiting for the sun to show through a bit more.

lightfoot71 wrote on Jul 5th, 2007 at 10:47pm:
Hi,
I am new also.  When I log in it says I have a message.  How do you find them?

Click on the "you have <n> messages" caption at the top of the page.

IP Logged

brass

Slinging Rocks!

Texas
Reply #4 - Jul 6th, 2007 at 1:01am

Thanks for the advice! I'm hoping to get materials tomorrow, as my mom is taking me to shop for camp clothes. Maybe if I can make a decent one by then, I can practice with the pebbles on their railroad track. (Taking care to watch for innocent bystanders of course!) Wink But, what kind of leather should I look for? Is there a certain thickness that works well?

Thanks again!
                         Brass

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #5 - Jul 6th, 2007 at 6:39am

Hi Brass and greetings from Australia,

I am not really familiar with conditions in the US but for me the easiest place to get a nice piece of leather is from the palms of a pair of riggers gloves. These are quite inexpensive and usually available from hardware stores or places that sell industrial safety gear. The leather is soft and supple and surprisingly strong. If in doubt glue two thicknesses together with contact adhesive. The hardware store will also have the braided nylon cord you will need for the release and retention cords. The whole lot is unlikely to cost more than $10.

Having said all that it will be much easier for you to simply PM me your mailing address and I will send you one of my Aussie slings free. They're made from a synthetic material, green and black in color, not quite as pretty as leather but very functional and hard wearing. Very popular and with no obligation of any kind.

BTW stones from railroads are usually crushed rock, all angular and sharp. They actually make for faily poor slinging as they don't release from the pouch consistently and wind plane badly. Nice smooth rounded river stones work much better.

Hoping to hear from you,

Aussieslinger

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #6 - Aug 4th, 2007 at 1:49am

So What part of the Great State of Texas are ya from.
Myself I from NE OK
Marc Adkins
brass wrote on Jul 5th, 2007 at 1:55pm:
As it is summer, and it has been raining cats and dogs lately, I have had the hobby of researching any topic that pops into my head. This one, especially caught my eye. I've always had an interest in ancient weapons, as they seem so much more interesting than guns. I have yet to make my first sling, but when i get the supplies I hope to at least make a semi-functional one. Wish me luck! Grin

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #7 - Aug 4th, 2007 at 8:48am

I like railroad rocks :-)
Sling quite well. I'm sure I sent brass some leather :-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #8 - Aug 4th, 2007 at 2:51pm

Yep,
They may not be perfect but if ya got them use them. and think of the price while sending them downrange. :)

Marc Adkins

[quote author=curious_aardvark link=1183658135/0#7 date=1186231737]I like railroad rocks :-)
Sling quite well. I'm sure I sent brass some leather :-)[/quote]

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

brass

Slinging Rocks!

Texas
Reply #9 - Aug 7th, 2007 at 2:27am

Hey wrinklewried! I'm from the southeastern, coastal area of Texas. It has finally stopped raining, and is now scorching hot. It's so humid I wouldn't doubt you could get pnuemonia just from breathing in the air.  Shocked
  But in the way of ammo, I'm lucky to even find a decent rock around my house. So lately I have been stuck slinging tennis balls for my dog. (And chasing them down afterward.)

Brass

IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #10 - Sep 1st, 2007 at 3:07pm

Trust me I am familiar with what you are discussing, what you are discussing was going on up here about a month ago, as a friend of mine put it you could walk a fish outside Smiley

Have ya thought of training your dog to bring the balls back ?

Marc Adkins

brass wrote on Aug 7th, 2007 at 2:27am:
Hey wrinklewried! I'm from the southeastern, coastal area of Texas. It has finally stopped raining, and is now scorching hot. It's so humid I wouldn't doubt you could get pnuemonia just from breathing in the air.  Shocked
  But in the way of ammo, I'm lucky to even find a decent rock around my house. So lately I have been stuck slinging tennis balls for my dog. (And chasing them down afterward.)

Brass

WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, Chris, Rat Man)