Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
The Wiki spammer is back (Read 14020 times)
Ethan
Funditor

so much depends upon a
red wheelbarrow...

On the edge of a lake...
Re: The Wiki spammer is back
Reply #30 - Dec 23rd, 2007 at 10:02pm

Well, the Wiki is still locked (at least to me). My user isn't that new, so is it locked to everyone? Could we test, and see if the spammer is still working?
I have some revisions to make, mainly on the seige weapons. Should I just email them to Chris?

"Young men go to war. Sometimes because they have to, sometimes because they want to. Always, they feel they are supposed to. This comes from the sad, layered stories of life, which over the centuries have seen courage confused with picking up arms, and cowardice confused with putting them down."&&--Mitch Albom, The Five People you meet in Heaven
WWW Ethan Sithapprentice21  
IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #31 - Jan 6th, 2008 at 9:02pm

Ethan,
I was registered quite early on, and it's locked to me as well.

Chris and Matthias,
It is possible to block an IP address to prevent someone from creating new accounts.

IP Logged

big_sling_gland
Ex Member

Reply #32 - Jan 11th, 2008 at 7:13pm

I beleive it is possible...

IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #33 - Jan 15th, 2008 at 12:00am

Problem is that the spammers use many different IPs, so it isn't a good way to block them.

Your account shouldn't be blocked...  I just logged in fine.  Does it give you an error of any kind (user not found, bad password, etc?)

Email me: info@slinging.org
Chris

IP Logged

Ethan
Funditor

so much depends upon a
red wheelbarrow...

On the edge of a lake...
Reply #34 - Jan 15th, 2008 at 2:04pm

No, I log in just fine, but I can't edit anything. The text box just won't accept anything.

"Young men go to war. Sometimes because they have to, sometimes because they want to. Always, they feel they are supposed to. This comes from the sad, layered stories of life, which over the centuries have seen courage confused with picking up arms, and cowardice confused with putting them down."&&--Mitch Albom, The Five People you meet in Heaven
WWW Ethan Sithapprentice21  
IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Reply #35 - Jan 15th, 2008 at 4:07pm

The wiki is still (still...  Sad ) locked down. Give me a few minutes and I'll try to re-enable edits for pre-existing accounts, and anyone new who wants to contribute will need to enquire.

The problems this summer just spiralled. Undecided

Matthias

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Reply #36 - Jan 15th, 2008 at 4:31pm

The wiki is back open (wide open... Sad ) I'm looking at our options. The user list is 99% spam. Stay tuned.

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Reply #37 - Jan 15th, 2008 at 5:07pm

Getting there! Working solution identified... a bunch of changes made... implementation coming...

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Reply #38 - Jan 15th, 2008 at 6:26pm

Ok... I just learned quite a bit.

Edits to the wiki are now restricted to pre-approved members of the "slinger" group on our wiki.
New users are still able to sign on, but do not have edit rights UNTIL they ask for them.

The following wiki Users are members of "slinger":

ADAXL
Dravonk
CanDo
Tint
Zwiebeltuete
Dale
Narya
siguy
Ethan
Rueben
Naiyor
Gunsonwheels
Wanderer
Jas
THOMAS
Amras
Nightweave
Rschulz
Lohho
Admin (Chris)
Matthias

Anyone NOT on the list who would like to be, please A- make sure that you have a login on the wiki and that it matches your slinging.org username B- post to this thread

I'm sorry that it's taken this long to get this problem fixed (fingers crossed) and I hope we haven't lost ADAXL completely... he was a lone slinger defending the city against the hordes for a while there, and shouldn't have needed to. Thanks to Dravonk and the others who helped out as well, and of course everyone who have contributed to the wiki.

Matthias

IP Logged

axon50

Dein Schleuder baut auf
Ihnen.

nz
Reply #39 - Jan 24th, 2008 at 11:55pm

hey, could you put me on the list? (please), my wiki account is.... well hey, axon50. Wink

Žęr węron ongemang eallra žisra rinca seofone hund manna ža že węron wineserhande, žara ęlc cuše weorpan stan mid lišere and ne misweorpan. &&&&16 ferses 20 heafodwearde Demena bec. (Judges 20:16)

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

!
Reply #40 - Jan 25th, 2008 at 1:57am

hmm... I can't find you... Still trying to figure out the administration of the wiki, but the user list skips from Astral... to B6k3d...

Was your wiki name a preexisting one, or did you just create it? I'll do some digging tomorrow.

If anyone on the list could check for me to see if they have access again, it would help me out too - I can see things, but that doesn't mean much!

I really want to get the wiki healthy again. Watch this space.

Matthias

IP Logged

wanderer
Interfector Viris Spurii

Texas
Re: !
Reply #41 - Jan 25th, 2008 at 10:44am

Matthias wrote on Jan 25th, 2008 at 1:57am:
If anyone on the list could check for me to see if they have access again, it would help me out too - I can see things, but that doesn't mean much

Access works for me.

IP Logged

axon50

Dein Schleuder baut auf
Ihnen.

nz
Re: !
Reply #42 - Jan 25th, 2008 at 6:54pm

Matthias wrote on Jan 25th, 2008 at 1:57am:
hmm... I can't find you... Still trying to figure out the administration of the wiki, but the user list skips from Astral... to B6k3d...

Was your wiki name a preexisting one, or did you just create it? I'll do some digging tomorrow.

If anyone on the list could check for me to see if they have access again, it would help me out too - I can see things, but that doesn't mean much!

I really want to get the wiki healthy again. Watch this space.

Matthias

To be honest, I only just made it, i had one, but it didn't match my username on here, sorry if it's a bother to you.

Žęr węron ongemang eallra žisra rinca seofone hund manna ža že węron wineserhande, žara ęlc cuše weorpan stan mid lišere and ne misweorpan. &&&&16 ferses 20 heafodwearde Demena bec. (Judges 20:16)

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Reply #43 - Jan 25th, 2008 at 8:43pm

Thanks Wanderer - looks like we're back up and running then. I'm going to remove all the add pages that were previously blanked and then hopefully we'll have a clean slate again.

axon50 - there still isn't a user for you. I'm not sure what is going on yet, but could you try one more time? Make sure you put your user name (axon50), two copies of your password, and your name. Once you are logged in, you will have account info showing in the upper right. I could create and account for you, but I'd like to get this method working if at all possible! Thanks for being the guinea pig.

Matthias

IP Logged

axon50

Dein Schleuder baut auf
Ihnen.

nz
Reply #44 - Jan 25th, 2008 at 9:56pm

Did what you said, logged in, then searched for myself, and i couldn't find myself in the wiki account search ether........ dunno.  Sad

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Chris, Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus)