Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Slingxercise (Read 5437 times)
LKH9
Funditor

Malaysia
Re: Slingxercise
Reply #30 - Jul 7th, 2007 at 9:08am

Long ago, an expedition of Shoalin masters from China came to my country and demonstrated qigong to the police. It came out in the newspaper and one of the masters stood there still and let a policeman to punch him. A photo showing a policeman punching that master with full force. He stood there completely relaxed, no stance, nothing, just standing still. That's Qi!

I still can't agree with you, English, I'm sorry. I believe my lecturer went to that place without a reason. The master just asked him to lie down without saying other things.

Those Taiwanese chi masters were giving away their chi experince to the public for free. They told some miracle stories about the healing power of qi, when modern science failed. Yes, modern science is still the primary healing methods, Qi is only a backup and used as a last resort.

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #31 - Jul 7th, 2007 at 9:53am

Quote:
that's it really - in a few years, assuming you grow out of this youthful 'I know everything, absolutely, no question there can't be anything I don't know, no really I do know everything'. phase, which fortunately most of us do, you'll realise how wrong you are Smiley
Which would be fine, if.... you could come up with a reason as to why I'm wrong.  Have you done a study showing that qigong demos are real in the way you believe they are?  Because there are plenty - too many, really - studies showing the fallability of the human mind when it perceives something.  And the thing is, by saying that when I grow up I will learn more, you are saying that you know inherently more than I do by simply being older, throwing up an interesting paradox.
  And Richard Dawkins and Penn Jillette haven't grown out of their phases.  Since I like Dawkins' attack dog stance and Penn Jillette as a whole, maybe it's best to retain the childish phase of wanting proof for assertions.

If you simply mean that qi is the electricity in the nervous system, and that is all, then why designate it qi?  Because qi means breath, and so the confusion is inherent in the word.  The traditional character is a stylised image of steam rising from rice, and the simplified character is just the steam component.  And if it is simply the electrical charge through nerves, then it's nothing important - you can leave the whole qi idea outside the door, and just say "the mind" or "the body" directs action, rather than qi.  And what effect would it have on qigong demonstrations?  Are the feet of qigong demonstrators natural batteries that power their electricity to wherever it wants to go, thereby avoiding all pain and requiring intense concentration?  Because that sounds also quite silly.

"Wu Chi" = wuji, correct?  Wuji, meaning no limits?  This is a purely pre-modern Chinese scientific term referring to the pre-universal state, analogous to the state of the universe as a singularity before the big bang.  I expect there is a system out there called "wuji", but I've not come across it - it is the name of several zhan zhuang poses though, usually just a pose of standing upright with the feet together, like the yoga mountain pose.  And you said before that you studied taijiquan - so I assumed, therefore, that what you were talking of was taijiquan.   You mentioned "wu chi", but you also mentioned nanshaolin wuzuquan, and taijiquan - so, huh?  You practise a style called "wu chi", have I got this right?  And it's an esoteric style taught to some people at a temple that has almost been forgotten.  Right?  Now here's where I have a problem.  You mention a guy named "master chi."  "Chi" could be "ji", "qi", or possibly "chi", all of which have extremely different pronunciations and a multitude of characters, even just the ones used as surnames, and it seems that you use neither Wade-Giles nor pinyin for transliterations, so it's obviously incredibly hard to know the name, and he could even by Cantonese, Hakka, etc, making it ultra difficult.  He apparently taught a system that no one else knows and which he taught in Indonesia - so the lineage is not possible to research independently.  And he boiled water with his hands.  Do you see why I might be somewhat sceptical?  Especially considering the vast number of contradictory statements about qi made by so many people.  If it's breath - and that's the literal Chinese translation - then it's just breath.  If it's the nervous system, then ok, but that's all it is.  Why should having a nervous system give you the ability to boil water?  The only thing it would do is make the control of your muscles that much better by doing qigong, which is the case.  It certainly doesn't give you the ability to put 100 degree celsius temperatures in your hands and boil things without harming yourself.

A diamond push up:  It's where you put your hands together at the thumb and index fingertips so that the gap between them is diamond shaped.  They work the triceps more than regular push ups.  And an extended arm push up is pretty much as you described it, with the hands in front of the head.  As to how many you should be doing until it hurts, unless you have absurdly strong lower back muscles, it should be about ten if you already work out quite a bit.  I have experienced very little in my triceps doing those, but everything in my lower back.  You have to push straight up, not forward and up - your head should remain about a foot from the hands, or as far from the hands as possible.

As for standardisation of forms, this is what you said: Quote:
the standard tai chi forms
  Well, that could mean anything.  The standard taijiquan forms of the Drunken Master.  There are no taijiquan forms that are taught to everyone who practises a style of taijiquan, which seemed to be the assumption behind this statement, especially in context.  If you practise Wu YuXiang style taijiquan, then you learn the current standardised Wu style taijiquan long form, and if you study Yang style, then you probably study the Yang Chengfu long form, or even the Zheng ManQing form - but you could also study any of the other Yang family forms.  And a lot of people practise the forms idiosyncratically, adding in fajing movements, sometimes even extra footwork patterns, to suit them.  Unless you have been regimented and told to only ever practise the form as taught, then taijiquan forms are seldom that standardised, and only the 24 and 48 posture forms were designed to be standardised (but they're counterfeit taijiquan.)   All the others are expected to be experimented with, as the people who created them experimented with what they learnt.

Frankly, I don't get your anger over the issue.  Qi is not proveable or rational - if you wish to convince rather than patronise, then you should try that instead.  The combination of matey statements, lack of proof and a patronising tone get you nowhere when it comes to proving a point, and simply saying that I have to be older so that I can tap into a secret wealth of esoteric knowledge is a little annoying, actually.  Is my mind not able to comprehend the truth of qi that you have, now?

In any case, it is normally the young who have the bizarre ideas about life and try to be hippies and join communes and laugh at the Man, and who are more likely to believe in qi and prana and fairies.  Get older, get jaded - or at the very least, sceptical.  Why stop such a trend?

IP Logged

LKH9
Funditor

Malaysia
Reply #32 - Jul 7th, 2007 at 10:18am

English, certain things which science can't prove doesn't always mean it does not exist. Take example, ghosts or even gods, can you track where they are going? NO, but, they do exist. We just can't prove what they really are.

The same goes for Qi.

----------
I do diamond push-ups too. It's my standard push-up. Cheesy It's real good for triceps!

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #33 - Jul 7th, 2007 at 10:25am

Quote:
English, certain things which science can't prove doesn't always mean it does not exist. Take example, ghosts or even gods, can you track where they are going? NO, but, they do exist. We just can't prove what they really are.

The same goes for Qi. 
Ummmmmmm....

Yes, I quite agree.  Gods, ghosts and qi are all the same.

And diamond push ups are great.  They are one of my favourites.  I seem to have collected a massive array of push up varieties - 24 or 25 in all, I think - but you only need a couple, and the diamond ones are great.

IP Logged

LKH9
Funditor

Malaysia
Reply #34 - Jul 7th, 2007 at 10:37am

I find that diamond push-up is the best for me, when I do push-ups without burden on my back.

---

Ages ago in secondary school, a teacher of mine told my class a story. A man wanted to experience the spirit(ghost) of banana tree. What he should do is to tie a long piece of red string to his toe and tie the other end to the banana tree(I'm not sure of how it's done) and sleep. Then a beautiful girl will apppear in his room. It happened and the man was really freaked out. So, the next morning he went out and chopped down the tree. Later, one of his legs swelled and grew like an elephant leg! Doctors could not prove what is the cause of it. There were no virus nor bacteria found in his leg. He went through almost every kinds of possible check-ups, x-rays, whatever... Nothing can prove what is the cause. His leg is just 'normal'. It's not a disease.  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #35 - Jul 7th, 2007 at 10:53am

Have you ever read Pu Songling, loh_kah_hoe - LiaoZhai Zhiyi (Strange Tales from a Chinese Studio)?  I only have it in translation into English, but I think you'd like it anyway.  Full of stories like that.  And weirder ones.  One, which is very, very short (about a paragraph long) is about a man who loves eating snakes.  He once smelt a snake on the other side of a wall, and went around - "he had no knife with him at the time, so he bit into its head and ate it with the tail dangling and wriggling from his mouth."  And that's the whole story.  But there are a lot of fox spirits and dildoes and dragons, and also, interestingly, qigong - in one story, a man concentrates his qi so powerfully that a little man comes out of his ear.  And these wacky tales were all written about three and a half centuries ago.

IP Logged

LKH9
Funditor

Malaysia
Reply #36 - Jul 7th, 2007 at 11:06am

Hey, I can only read english. Grin

Oh yes, most people believe that there are spirits which guard the lifes in jungles. So, there was an incidence happened here where two brothers went into a jungle to hunt wild boars with guns. An accident happened and one of them were mistaken as the pig and was shot dead by his own brother. So, we believe it's an illusion caused by the spirits which protect the jungle from outsiders(city people). It was in newpaper. Because, how could a hunter mistaken another hunter as the game?? He thought he successfully killed the pig, but later found out it's his own brother.

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #37 - Jul 7th, 2007 at 12:07pm

Quote:
Because, how could a hunter mistaken another hunter as the game??
Very easily.  Ask most hunters.  That's the reason why north American hunters often have to wear bright orange - deer eyesight cannot see colour, but other humans can, so it doesn't affect the game but it helps hunters not to kill each other.  And accidents still occur.

IP Logged

sv
Funditor

ireland
Reply #38 - Jul 8th, 2007 at 5:53am

Quote:
An accident happened and one of them were mistaken as the pig and was shot dead by his own brother. So, we believe it's an illusion caused by the spirits

ask yourself, why is this necessarily true?

loh_kah_hoe you need to use logic as a tool - people shoot the wrong target often, especially in war. it's called  an "accident" and has nothing to do with spirits. 

see if you can spot this flaw in the chief's assertion, which is as obvious to the western mind as your "spirits killed the hunter's brother" account

a tribe, during a drought, would pray to the spirits for rain.
the chief said "we always pray like this when the rains are late and our spirits never fail, although sometimes they make us wait a long time" 

SV

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, Rat Man, Chris, joe_meadmaker, Morphy, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15)