zen of slinging (Read 5582 times)
funda_iucunda

Watt den een sin Uhl is
den annern sin Nachtigal.

Germany (north of Hamburg)
Re: zen of slinging
Reply #30 - Jul 7th, 2007 at 4:45am

"Is that not fascinatin?"

Ofcourse it is fascinating. But I got the impression that you argue against something else: creationism. That's not what I'm talking about. And I don't talk about the "existence" of God. Or in the paradox wording of Bonhoeffer: A god that exists doesn' exist. You won't find him in the world and you won't find any good or moral in the world. That you can find pain or happiness is - I'm sorry - a mixing of words. You just find hormons or molecules which are related to feelings. But you can't find the feelings and you can't link a feeling to a moral without adding something. I fyou add a comandment to the feelings you believe in God. If you link a social consens to a feeling it becomes a moral rule. But you have to add always something to your scientific finding that is not based on science. To think in a realistic way about the benefits of science you have to keep this in mind.

funda

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #31 - Jul 7th, 2007 at 4:51am

Quote:
But you have to add always something to your scientific finding that is not based on science.
I disagree, again.  Labels like "happiness" apply to states when there is a certain mix of hormones in the brain and body.  You don't have to add something - the hormones themselves are the feelings, and they don't need something else added.  Take the example of drugs - drugs inhibit and stimulate various hormones and neuro-receptors.  They cause enormous amounts of feelings and emotions - and I think that anyone would be hard-pressed to say that drugs are from God, especially the truly deeply affecting ones like heroin.  Feelings are chemicals, and that's a pretty cool idea in and of itself.

IP Logged

funda_iucunda

Watt den een sin Uhl is

Reply #32 - Jul 7th, 2007 at 5:06am

Happiness is a word with implications. Feelings are feelings. They are no word and no language. Please don't from a finding to a conclusion without thinking about what you are doing by this.

But to answer to Dale. Let's relax and come back to slinging. The interesting question when talking about slinging and reflection on it is how ore if anyway reflection could help to sling successful. I read much abpout ballistic calculations and experiments. But it's difficult for me to come from that to a good slinging action.

funda

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #33 - Jul 7th, 2007 at 6:39am

Ballistic calculations and experiments do not help you develop power from your lower body - which is, really, the main way in which to get lots of extra power in slinging.  Reflections on slinging should involve how to get power from the whole body, and especially the hips and legs.  Using a sling is like throwing a punch - if you just punch by simply extending your triceps, and don't move your hips, waist, and shoulders with it, and don't push up from the floor, then the push would be very weak, and you would see flyweights and heavyweights punching with the same power if they do equal repetitions for arm exercises.  In the same way, if you just rotate the arm at the shoulder and swing the sling into movement like that, then you won't get the same amount of pure power as you would if you explosively powered the sling forward with a co-ordinated movement beginning at the feet.
  This is how I sling.  I am left handed, and I start with my right foot forward and the leg slightly bent.  My right shoulder is also fully in line with my right foot, and my left arm is far back, with the sling hanging and the pouch almost touching the ground.  I push up my left foot onto the ball, and explosively rotate my hips forward, my shoulders and waist following.  My arm whips forward, and the final flourish is done by the wrist, which loosely whips downward when the projectile is released.  My left shoulder ends up in a roughly vertical line with my right knee, and my right arm ends up behind my back.  This process of using the legs to create the power at my hands and at the sling really works, and I end up with very powerful shots.  Still, not as accurate as I'd like to be, although I improve each time.  And this way of slinging is becoming very natural.  It's just how I sling now.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #34 - Jul 7th, 2007 at 8:42am

Well I reckon if you can meditate to the point where you can float three feet off the ground for extended periods of time (no not like those idiot yogic fliers ;-) Then you won't need to rotate your hips. :-)

Legs are just there to stop me spinning round in circles because of the awesome power I generate from my pinky finger :-)

like his tai chi english probably needs to think a lot less about every single technical aspect of his throw at once and just 'do it'. ;-)
If it feels right - it probably is. The more you try and concentrate on each tiny aspect the less fluid your throw will be.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #35 - Jul 7th, 2007 at 10:01am

I practise slinging daily.  I also used to practise taijiquan daily, before I learnt other things.  I don't want to turn this into a taijiquan discussion, but when practising taijiquan forms, the purpose of doing it slowly is to perfect the body mechanics.  It's not about being mystical - it's supposed to be a replacement for the internal practises of zhan zhuang found in other styles.  Some call taijiquan forms "dong zhuang" - a moving zhan zhuang.  In fact, some taijiquan teachers say that you are not properly practising taijiquan until you are correct in terms of body mechanics.  Mark Chen says this, for instance.  If you are perfecting your form, what are you doing?  Just dancing, trying to get the "feel" of it in your qi?

Anyway, since I practise slinging daily, I can work on the body mechanics to create a perfect throw.  It is not possible to get it right all the time, but I have an image of a great throw, mechanically, and try to conform to it.  That makes sense, doesn't it?  I work on the body mechanics and then throw smoothly using them.  Smoothness is part of the perfect throw, so I aim for that along with the body mechanics.  If you think that just throwing stones will eventually get you a perfect throw, rather than trying to use a method, then fine - but try telling a javelin thrower, boxer or gymnast that.

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #36 - Jul 7th, 2007 at 10:02am

And even if you could levitate, using your hips would still be part and parcel of the perfect throw.

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #37 - Jul 8th, 2007 at 10:35am

Apparently my message was misconstrued. I was not talking about slinging as a path to enlightenment, or perfection of self. I was talking about not overthinking the moves, and just relaxing. If you are stiff and overcorrecting, you tend to screw up more.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #38 - Jul 8th, 2007 at 11:46am

That, I believe, can be agreed on by everyone.  Relaxation ftw.

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #39 - Jul 8th, 2007 at 12:21pm

OK, I think I get it.

When slinging, just sling; do not think about slinging, it will just mess up your throw.

When thinking about slinging, just think about slinging; do not think about thinking about slinging, it will just mess up your mind.

When thinking about thinking about slinging... Wink

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

funda_iucunda

Watt den een sin Uhl is

Reply #40 - Jul 8th, 2007 at 1:16pm

... be relaxed aswell.  Smiley

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #41 - Jul 8th, 2007 at 3:48pm

Quote:
And even if you could levitate, using your hips would still be part and parcel of the perfect throw.

seems to me if you could levitate you would just levitate the stone.
the ultimate slinging with out the sling lol
« Last Edit: Jul 10th, 2007 at 5:58pm by lobohunter »  
Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, Chris, Morphy, Kick, Rat Man)