Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The Catapult: A history (Read 1460 times)
MammotHunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Give me a rock, a sling,
and give me some room

virginia, for now
The Catapult: A history
Jun 26th, 2007 at 4:58pm

This is going to be very quick, as I have to get back to work, but I am reading the book, "The Catapult: A history" by Tracey Rihill and WE ARE MENTIONED IN THE BOOK. The author mentions a section about health warning being included in almost all sources teaching how to sling, and it mentions slinging.org. I didnt know if anyone else has read this book, or knew of the mention, but there we are, on page 5! Very awesome!

Take care, everyone!

MH

Foolish is he who frets at night,&&And lies awake to worry'&&A weary man when morning comes,&&He finds all as bad as before&&-Excerpted from "The Havemal"
palaeoEvolution  
IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Re: The Catapult: A history
Reply #1 - Jun 27th, 2007 at 3:12am

I have got to get a copy of that book!

Thanks MH

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #2 - Jun 27th, 2007 at 6:22am

can't find that particular book - but this one looks just as interesting:-
[url]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Art-Catapult-Ballistae-Trebuchets-Artillery/dp/1556525265/ref=sr_1_42/202-7969149-7105451?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1182939370&sr=8-42[/url]

Ah ha it's a us only release
[url]http://www.amazon.com/Catapult-History-Weapons-Tracey-Rihll/dp/159416035X/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/103-9619624-6598229?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1182939552&sr=8-1[/url]

part of the publishers book description includes this odd sentence:-
[quote]Also included are details of the author’s intriguing discovery that there were little personal catapults that were used like rifles[/quote]
Sounds like a sling to me - but given it's the authors intriguing discovery - maybe it's not.
Mammot - what's the personal catapult then ?

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

MammotHunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Give me a rock, a sling,
and give me some room

virginia, for now
Reply #3 - Jun 27th, 2007 at 9:18am

The personal catapults the author seems to mention seem to be more like crossbows, really, from what I can gather from my reading. Things like the gastrophetes, and small personal ballistas that would fire darts or round shot. So, I can imagine, that by some stretch, you could include things like crossbows under the same umbrella as their larger cousins as seige weaponry, being both mechanical means of firing a projectile by torsion or stored energy over great distances. I love how the author gives credit to the sling and the bow as the predecessors of basically all seige engines. This seems to be a very thorough book, from what I've read so far, so I have great faith that it shall prove to be a very educational read.

Foolish is he who frets at night,&&And lies awake to worry'&&A weary man when morning comes,&&He finds all as bad as before&&-Excerpted from "The Havemal"
palaeoEvolution  
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #4 - Jun 27th, 2007 at 6:23pm

well pellet bows have a long and distuinguished history, so technically that's a small siege weapon :-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #5 - Jun 27th, 2007 at 9:02pm

Wouldn't the other type of slingshot, the one with the elastic band, be considered a small catapult??

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #6 - Jun 27th, 2007 at 10:14pm

BK,

The rubber needed for such slingshots to be an effective weapon was not discovered untill the 18th century.  By that time firearms were quite advance.  I guess it can still be considered a catapult but it was never used at the time when catapult was used in warfare.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #7 - Jun 28th, 2007 at 7:11am

rubber band slingshots are pretty much just called catapults in england.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, vetryan15, Kick, joe_meadmaker, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Morphy)