Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Hello faithful slingers... (Read 1219 times)
Panjandrum
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Montgomery, AL
Hello faithful slingers...
Jun 22nd, 2007 at 5:55pm

Just joined the list.  I'm Jim Merlini and live in Montgomery, Alabama.  I'm a newswriter for Metro Networks and occupy the dungeon in the Alabama State House.

I was an enthusiastic slinger in high school but abandoned that for knife throwing.  Now I'm not good at either.  Must get back into practice.

I bought all the ingredients for a sling staff but the staff lies collecting dust in a corner.  My work day is really running too long.

Hope to hear from some members.  I did send a few bucks to help defray operating costs, so my conscience is clear there.

If you enjoy historical fiction, try "The Ten Thousand."  It's a rewrite of Xenophon's "Anabasis" (the march up) and has some good bits about slingers in the service of Spartan troops in the Middle East.  Ataxerxes, and all that sort of thing.

Be of good cheer and don't come to the Southeast unless you love a drought.  We're in Emergency One just now.

Cheers,

Merlinius

-----&&So long, and thanks for all the fish.....

IP Logged

Captain Paul
Descens

der Schleudermeister

Bell Buckle,Tennessee
Re: Hello faithful slingers...
Reply #1 - Jun 22nd, 2007 at 8:29pm

Welcome!!!  I joined not long ago and have been slinging and making slings and staff slings for years.  There is a lot of good information on this forum and some good people--enjoy!!  Captain Paul

Never look down on someone--unless you are helping them up !

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #2 - Jun 23rd, 2007 at 5:30am

[quote]I did send a few bucks to help defray operating costs, so my conscience is clear there.
[/quote]

wow - wonder how many people actually do that ? I know i haven't (looks sheepish) oh yeah that's right, I don't trust paypal - my conscience is clear lol

Anyway welcome to the forum, shame we can't create some sort of internet based quantum water transport, 'cos in england at the moment we've got the worst floods for seven years. between us and alabama we could probably get two decent weather systems ;-)

Or failing that i could come over with my dogs and just walk around for a bit - a guarenteed way to generate rain fall lol

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #3 - Jun 26th, 2007 at 9:56pm

I'll come down there and wash my car. That's always a sure bet for a downpour.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #4 - Jun 27th, 2007 at 6:25am

that's it then we should hire ourselves out:- Rainmakers Incorporated.
Bk can wash cars and I'll walk dogs - hell you'll be flooded out before you can say:- 'I remember when all this was nice and dry'
;-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #5 - Jun 27th, 2007 at 6:33am

Remember Katrina? Washed two cars that day. Roll Eyes

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

MammotHunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Give me a rock, a sling,
and give me some room

virginia, for now
Reply #6 - Jun 27th, 2007 at 10:21am

I knew a guy who had a lisp at one time, and I mean, a really serious one, and at one point I remember thinking, I know of people in drought areas who would pay very good money to hear this guy pronounce words with lots of "S's" in them. I could look him up for you if you'd like?

Foolish is he who frets at night,&&And lies awake to worry'&&A weary man when morning comes,&&He finds all as bad as before&&-Excerpted from "The Havemal"
palaeoEvolution  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, vetryan15, Chris, Morphy, joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark, Kick)