leather pouch (Read 2535 times)
new_guy
Tiro

The beatings will continue
until moral improves!

Colorado
leather pouch
Jun 19th, 2007 at 8:48pm

i was just wondering what you guys think the ideal size and shape of a leather pouch would be.
i will be useing this to sling everything from rocks and concrete, clay glandes, to computer mouse balls and large marbles.

The penguin made me do it!

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Re: leather pouch
Reply #1 - Jun 20th, 2007 at 6:09am

Will be happy to send you one of my Mk. 1 AussiePOUCH es. It's actually not leather but a synthetic material, very durable and waterproof. If you get it muddy just wash and it's like new. According to Curious Aardvark, it's the most versatile pouch he has ever used. It's made from two straps, 8" long x 1" wide. They are glued to form a boat shape which hold all types of ammunition. You can have any colour you like so long as it's green and black.

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #2 - Jun 20th, 2007 at 6:41am

yep - the aussie is king of pouches (well it's from the land of marsupials after all - you know I've only just realised that connection, much scope for future puns lol)
I've used it for everything from soggy tennis balls to pebbles to big rocks - and you'd be amazed at the size iof rock that can succesfully balanced in one (the day I'm unsuccesful I'll have a 2 lb rock on my head lol)

A leather pouch will also work for the same things - but, slinging soggy tennis balls with a leather pouch results in a soggy pouch - which then has to go back in your pocket, not nice, plus it sort of loses shape. The aussie stays dry :-)

Pouch size I tend to start with a piece of leather about 4-5 inches by 3. which after shaping seems about right.

Though I do have a leather pouch from loki that started out as a square piece of leather and is very cleverly constructured. It's much smaller than my usual but loki claims it will handle up to tennis ball size - haven't got cords on it yet but I have tried a tennis ball and it does sem to fit.
So really it's down to individual choice. But you definitely want an aussie as well :-)
The Big Red Kangaroo of pouches (oh we're so going to regret the marsupial connection lmao)

pic attached is my battered pouch and two of lokis you can clearly see the construction method in the canvas one.
Actually now I've compared them the loki is the same length just a different shape - so that's about the right size.

loki-pouch.jpg (51 KB | )
loki-pouch.jpg

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Loki
Descens

One with the sling I am

Clovis, Ca.
Reply #3 - Jun 20th, 2007 at 7:10am

Nice pics C_A.

Loki

Loki  
IP Logged

Captain Paul
Descens

der Schleudermeister

Bell Buckle,Tennessee
Reply #4 - Jun 20th, 2007 at 11:12am

Take a look at my unique pouches--Captain Paul

Never look down on someone--unless you are helping them up !

IP Logged

PeanutChewSlurpy
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Bayville, NJ, USA
Reply #5 - Jun 20th, 2007 at 2:43pm

I've had luck with a rather long oval shaped pouch. About 6" long x 2.5-3" wide at the middle. I'm going to try out some rectangles soon. Whatever you use, make sure you reinforce the holes with the cords in them. *Incoherent grumbling*

IP Logged

new_guy
Tiro

until moral improves!

Colorado
Reply #6 - Jun 20th, 2007 at 4:08pm

aussieslinger that is very very nice of you, i dont think i will geyt one becase i live in the u.s. and my mom would undoubtably say no Cry, once again thank you for your very generous offer!

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #7 - Jun 21st, 2007 at 12:47pm

lmao - you're missing the point new-guy :-)
He sends it to you - it's free :-)
Can't see how your mum would have a problem with that.

They've been dispatched all over the world - it can probably be said that as of now the aussie is as close to a standard as sling pouches get - simply because it's in use in so many countries :-)
Most of us have our own designs - but a lot of us also have the same desing - the aussie :-)

So all you have to do is pm aussie your address and the postal pixies will deliver it across the oceans to your letter box :-)

And as for holes being reinforced - totally not necessary, just use a loop to attach the cords not a knot. Leather won't tear naturally.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

new_guy
Tiro

until moral improves!

Colorado
Reply #8 - Jun 21st, 2007 at 1:12pm

free you say, well that is a different matter al together! i will have to ask her about getting one then!

sorry about the miss understtanding!

i still wish to know if an oval or rectangular pouch is best, and what size though thanks!! Smiley

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #9 - Jun 21st, 2007 at 9:10pm

I have had great success using a pear shaped pouch made out of medical tape. It's fast and easy to make and easy to repair or replace.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #10 - Jun 22nd, 2007 at 5:50am

oval or shaped oval I find is  best.
(pretty sure I gave sizes earlier but I'll measure them) Pulled tight between 4 and 6 inches made (the ones in the picture above are approx 5 inches pulled tight from hole to hole).
For a shaped pouch you might need to start with a bit more (I said 6 in an earlier post) A cupped pouch will measure shorter than the starting material.

[url]http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1169030739[/url]
Aussie pouch thread.

Can't put my finger on the link to the meidcal tape sling - but It will be on the dvd - eventually ;-)

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #11 - Jun 22nd, 2007 at 6:20pm

new_guy wrote on Jun 20th, 2007 at 4:08pm:
aussieslinger that is very very nice of you, i dont think i will geyt one becase i live in the u.s. and my mom would undoubtably say no Cry, once again thank you for your very generous offer!

As C-A says, it really is free and no strings attached Grin.  I have made around 100 overall, sent heaps to the US, and to 16 other countries. Just arrange to pick it up care of your local post office, school or some other place so as to keep your home address private if you're worried.

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

kelthen
Descens

Eyay yesu domine... whack!
dona eais requiem...

Reply #12 - Jun 22nd, 2007 at 6:43pm

i use a  7 by 3 inch rectangle with a centimeter in cut. ( this is hard... ends up as an octogonal thingy. hmmm...)

i guess i would like an aussie pouch too. i will post ont he original thread.

This is the wattle, the symbol of our land. You can put it in a bottle, you can hold it in your hand. Amen.

IP Logged

Pio
Descens

¡A cantazos!

Ciudad Real, Spain
Reply #13 - Jun 25th, 2007 at 12:15pm

It seems to me that it’s more important the type of leather than the size. Use, if you can, leather for binding. It’s absolutely flexible and works perfectly. I made my favorite sling using this material long ago; measures 12 X 5 cm.
With medical tape you’ll have no problems; it’s very easy, cheap and durable. Try.

Desciñéronse las hondas y comenzaron a saludarle los oídos con piedras como el puño. (Miguel de Cervantes, El ingenioso Hidalgo Don Quijote de la Mancha, I, cap. 18)

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #14 - Jun 27th, 2007 at 6:39am

I've still got a few bits of sling leather up for posting, yes it's free :-).
And for those waiting - it's in the envelopes honest, just not got to the post office in the last few weeks :-)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Kick, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, Morphy, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker)