Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
strength of Sling cords and pouch? (Read 3418 times)
gryzz
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

strength of Sling cords and pouch?
Jun 18th, 2007 at 5:30am

Heres a question, how strong do the release cords of a sling have to be ?  Perhaps its more a should they be question  Smiley

Certainly wouldn't want them to break sometime during the windup, but I imagine that like a bowstring extra strength above a certain safety level is just wasting a part of the power in the throw

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Re: strength of Sling cords and pouch?
Reply #1 - Jun 18th, 2007 at 6:45am

Well, it depends on what you are throwing. Nylon parachute cord usually has a breaking strenght of about 100lbs. I don't think you would need any thing stronger than that.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #2 - Jun 18th, 2007 at 8:38am

unless they're worn or frayed, or you're using dental floss - it's highly unlikely you'll snap cords with the awesome force of your windup :-)

Oh yeah don't use garden twine either, or any of that cheap white cotton string stuff. Or that plastic wrapped washing line stuff either.

Basically don't use string that you think will break :-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Reply #3 - Jun 18th, 2007 at 12:02pm

I've not tested any of mine to breaking.. I braid with hemp line that can support a 20 lb. static load.

With a six strand kernmantel braid I figure that is 120 lbs per braided cord
2X for release and retention cords is 240 lb+

Now that is one large stone.

P.S.
Most of my braids are more than 6 strand  and I don't believe I can cast a stone that weighs 3-4 oz. hard enough to generate anything near 120+ lb. of centripetal force (pull on a cord by the stone)

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...
THIS ADVICE IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #4 - Jun 18th, 2007 at 1:32pm

I've used bootlaces, pigskin straps, woven hemp, and latigo lace and I have never had anything really break. The bootlaces got worn real fast and had to be replaced every year.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #5 - Jun 18th, 2007 at 3:11pm

just stay away from single strand dental floss :-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

PeanutChewSlurpy
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Bayville, NJ, USA
Reply #6 - Jun 19th, 2007 at 12:06am

I use paracord. You can pick it up at sporting goods/army navy stores for cheap. My leather cup is actually starting to give. Gonna hafta see about reinforcing it.

IP Logged

gryzz
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #7 - Jun 19th, 2007 at 2:13am

Curious Aardvark wrote on Jun 18th, 2007 at 3:11pm:
just stay away from single strand dental floss Smiley

Well with anything that fine I'd worry about the "now where did my finger go" problem   Grin

IP Logged

Dravonk
Funditor

Aachen, Germany
Reply #8 - Jun 19th, 2007 at 5:10am

I pull at the pouch of a new sling to test it. I guess that is enough to be safe.

IP Logged

nameless
Tiro

Here
Reply #9 - Jun 19th, 2007 at 4:13pm

[quote author=curious_aardvark link=1182159011/0#5 date=1182193914]just stay away from single strand dental floss :-)[/quote]
I beg your pardon?!?
Single strand dental floss, and a small 'bandaid', make a wonderful impromptu sling, and with the aid of a sugar cube or somesuch (to the head), can garner the attention of an inattentive waitress!
(Balancing the empty cup on your head is so out if date!)
*__-

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #10 - Jun 20th, 2007 at 9:14am

lol - hmm but would you really want to drink the coffe after hitting the waitress with a sugar cube.
It certainly wouldn't be straight coffee if it were me you'd just hit ;-)

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #11 - Jun 20th, 2007 at 9:23pm

First rule of eating out....... Don't piss off the waitstaff. You will get little surprises and you will die of thirst. Tongue

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

nameless
Tiro

Here
Reply #12 - Jun 20th, 2007 at 9:41pm

bigkahuna wrote on Jun 20th, 2007 at 9:23pm:
First rule of eating out....... Don't piss off the waitstaff. You will get little surprises and you will die of thirst. Tongue

Did 'you' ever think that 'your' restaurant food was 'surprise free'? No matter how you treat the waitstaff? Really? I just assume that there are 'ingredients' that I would not add myself, but, like everyone, I ignore it and forge ahead. I'm just not in denial about it. Besides, the food magically becomes 'holy' as it passes these lips! The 'added ingredients' have never bothered me yet! Hahahahahah..
No illusions here!
hahahaha!

(I 'assume' that everyone knows that the sugar-cube thing was simple (sling) humor?!
At worst, I just set the empty glass upon my head and continue with my meal. She usually arrives rather soon thereafter, anyway..)
(Perhaps a 'shock-collar' with a remote at every table?)
(That was humor too.)
(Disclaimer; No waitresses were hurt (or 'cubed') in the making of this joke! *__- )

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #13 - Jun 21st, 2007 at 12:49pm

lmao - look on the bright side at least in the states you get free coffee - in england you pay for every cup. :-)
Pretty much a no free refills blanket rule across the entire country.

IP Logged

nameless
Tiro

Here
Reply #14 - Jun 21st, 2007 at 4:13pm

[quote author=curious_aardvark link=1182159011/0#13 date=1182444562]lmao - look on the bright side at least in the states you get free coffee - in england you pay for every cup. :-)
Pretty much a no free refills blanket rule across the entire country.[/quote]
Whay do you pay for a simple cup of coffee there?
It's about a dollar or so, here.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Kick, Rat Man, Chris, Morphy, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark)