Tiro

Here
Re: Hello from Here
Reply #16 - Jun 18th, 2007 at 9:47pm

Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua wrote on Jun 18th, 2007 at 8:10pm:
Quote:
Personal experience?

Me?  No way.  I don't take drugs.

Hmmm, you said that its "easy to kill for one's 'beliefs'".
I responded by inquiring if that was from, "Personal experience"?
You replied as above.
Is this not the definition of 'non-sequitor'?
Peace

IP Logged

Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua
Interfector Viris Spurii

Matthew 11:25-30

Reply #17 - Jun 18th, 2007 at 10:43pm

Stick enough labels on her, and we can smother the world. 

The above is the definition of 'non sequitur'.

TS

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

nameless
Tiro

Here
Reply #18 - Jun 19th, 2007 at 2:02am

Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua wrote on Jun 18th, 2007 at 10:43pm:
Stick enough labels on her, and we can smother the world.   

The above is the definition of 'non sequitur'.

Only if it has no relational context to the subject of the conversation.
Perhaps I am not understanding your 'intent'.
The 'label' quote seems consistent within itself.
It, perhaps, might relate to some of the words (labels) that I have been using to (attempt to) communicate, so, it might not be a 'non-sequitor'. Context must be determined, to know.
But, I'll be happy to tentatively accept your word for it and end this ridiculous quibbling on a peaceful note, so;
Peace
*__-

(Stick enough labels on her, and we can 'create' a world!)

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #19 - Jun 22nd, 2007 at 6:17am

lmao - [quote] I'll be happy to tentatively accept your word for it and end this ridiculous quibbling on a peaceful note[/quote]
Typical techstuff technique, he baffles you into submission.

He can and will quibble till the bovines return to their homestead.
The trick is to quibble right back till neither one of you has the foggiest idea what you were talking about and declare it a draw :-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #20 - Jun 22nd, 2007 at 6:39am

Very interesting.............. Roll Eyes

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

nameless
Tiro

Here
Reply #21 - Jun 24th, 2007 at 8:30pm

[quote author=curious_aardvark link=1181975538/15#19 date=1182507448]lmao - [quote] I'll be happy to tentatively accept your word for it and end this ridiculous quibbling on a peaceful note[/quote]
Typical techstuff technique, he baffles you into submission.

He can and will quibble till the bovines return to their homestead.
The trick is to quibble right back till neither one of you has the foggiest idea what you were talking about and declare it a draw :-)[/quote]
Hahahaha..
I have no time or energy to waste on nonsensical quibbling; the 'real' stuff, the 'deep' stuff, basic stuff, beautiful stuff, relevent stuff, healing stuff, revelatory stuff, etc.. but not nonsensical and or fruitless 'stuff'.
I conceded nothing, I merely refused to engage in a fruitless discussion, and did it peacefully for both parties..
And the wheel turns...
*__-

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #22 - Jun 25th, 2007 at 12:11pm

[quote]the 'real' stuff, the 'deep' stuff, basic stuff, beautiful stuff, relevent stuff, healing stuff, revelatory stuff, etc.[/quote]
Yep that's the stuff that's worth quibbling over :-)

[i]'If it's not worth arguing about, it's probably not worth talking about.'[/i]
AWJ

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

nameless
Tiro

Here
Reply #23 - Jun 26th, 2007 at 4:25am

[quote author=curious_aardvark link=1181975538/15#22 date=1182787889][quote]the 'real' stuff, the 'deep' stuff, basic stuff, beautiful stuff, relevent stuff, healing stuff, revelatory stuff, etc.[/quote]
Yep that's the stuff that's worth quibbling over :-) [/quote]
Yup, to each his own! (Can't be any other way than it is! *__- )

[quote][i]'If it's not worth arguing about, it's probably not worth talking about.'[/i]
AWJ[/quote]
I don't know who AWJ is but I disagree. 'Argument' seems a poor way to communicate (but thrashing a 'worthy' gives the old ego a cheap thrill!) or manipulate. Talking and discussing seem much more fruitful (if one seeks 'Truth'). Attempting to understand what the other is saying, before 'arguing'. Many times, just (taking the time and trouble to acheive) 'understanding' precludes argument entirely.

Then again, "quibbling is better than a sharp stick in the eye!" - Book of Fudd

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #24 - Jun 27th, 2007 at 6:36pm

[quote]Quote:
Don't you just love semantics ;-)
It is 'semantics' that define our 'reality'. In the beginning is the "WORD"! 
I love when people erroneously use 'semantics' in a dismissive way. It is not to be 'dismissed' so easily. 
Nothing can exist without 'definition/context', semantics!

[/quote]
Umm, which is what I said lol I love semantics - how is that dismissive ?
Try not to see what you think people said rather see what is there ;-)
That is to say don't automatically assume that you are more intelligent than anyone else, so that you 'see' more than they have.

Infected with belief, well you do seem to believe that your beliefs are more valid than techstuffs so - who is the infected one - you him, all of us.
We all harbour erroneous beliefs - yep even you :-)
Surely true enlightenment would be the abaility to understand and accept anyones beliefs.

Any point can be argued with anyone. And any discussion where one party attempts to enlighten the other (obviously less enlightened) party is an argument.

It does rather sound like you've given up searching and have settled into the mirk of perceived knowlege.
There's no fun in that lol

IP Logged

nameless
Tiro

Here
Reply #25 - Jun 28th, 2007 at 10:56pm

[quote author=curious_aardvark link=1181975538/15#24 date=1182983771][quote]Quote:
Don't you just love semantics ;-)
It is 'semantics' that define our 'reality'. In the beginning is the "WORD"!  
I love when people erroneously use 'semantics' in a dismissive way. It is not to be 'dismissed' so easily.  
Nothing can exist without 'definition/context', semantics!

[/quote]
Umm, which is what I said lol I love semantics - how is that dismissive ?
Try not to see what you think people said rather see what is there ;-)[/quote]
Point taken. It is a vast majority of times that 'semantics' is quoted as something dismissive. "I love semantics" could easily have been sarcasm. As it wasn't... point, again, taken.
(so, are you claiming to 'see what is there' rather than 'what you think is there'?? Really?)

[quote]Infected with belief, well you do seem to believe that your beliefs are more valid than techstuffs so - who is the infected one - you him, all of us.[/quote]
This all-too-common response is invalid.
I 'believe' nothing.
A simple declaritive statement regarding what is within ME. How is it that you presume to argue, thereby calling me a liar? If I said that I am hungry, would you argue with that? If I said that I am an Amerikkkan, would you argue with that? I don't have the flu either...

Despite your doubts of my honesty, the fact remains, like it or not, I HARBOR NO BELIEFS. That is quite simple. Why so difficult for you to accept?
Perhaps your understanding of 'beliefs' might need some education? [url]http://cscs.umich.edu/~crshalizi/Dawkins/viruses-of-the-mind.html[/url]

I can't say who is infected but by their obvious (and well documented) symptoms. I know that 'he' is, I know that most are, I certainly can't say that everyone is, as I am not, there must be others. I also don't have the west nile virus, want to argue that too?

[quote]We all harbour erroneous beliefs - yep even you :-)[/quote]
Again, your arrogant ass-umption is incorrect and invalid. Should you see the symptoms, then feel free to point them out to me. Otherwise, your assumption is as erroneous as was mine regarding your 'semantic' statement.

[quote]Surely true enlightenment would be the abaility to understand and accept anyones beliefs.[/quote]
Are you enlightened that you can speak for 'enlightenment'?
I have no trouble accepting all as is, is perfect.
'Beliefs' are still a toxic and cognitively destructive virus. Symptomatic. AIDS is a virus too. AIDS is still perfection as far as I can see, as are those infected..
I am not judging, I am observing and commenting on that observation.

[quote]Any point can be argued with anyone. And any discussion where one party attempts to enlighten the other (obviously less enlightened) party is an argument. [/quote]
I don't agree with your definition of argument. A teacher in school teaches. He doesn't attempt to 'enlighten' (in the 'spiritual' definition) but to educate, offering food for thought! That is what I do. I offer food for thought. I am not telling anyone what to think, I just share what I see from experience. No argument. The words have meaning or they do not, to an individual. No argument. I don't want to, CAN'T, change anyone's mind, just 'jumpstart' it.

[quote]It does rather sound like you've given up searching and have settled into the mirk of perceived knowlege. [/quote]
Another erroneous and biased assumption.
After over half a century of 'searching' (for 'self', for 'Truth'), the results are; there is nothing to 'search' for.
Why is that a problem to you?
If you must be searching, you must do as you must.
Why not I?

[quote]If one is familiar with the power of belief, then the natural philosophical position to take is skepticism: "accept nothing unless proven or verified." While the Greek philosophers thought skepticism meant suspension of belief or agnosticism (admitting that one really did not know anything), many modern 'skeptics' are really 'debunkers' or 'disbelievers.' That is, rather than choosing to suspend belief in X, they choose to believe in not-X, often with a lack of criticality that they ascribe to believers in X. While skepticism is closely linked with empiricism - one should base all epistemological precepts on induction, observation, and experience - the two concepts are not identical. The skeptic realizes that both his reason and his senses can fail him at times, so both rationalism and empiricism are insufficient. Skepticism is based in the critical method: question and challenge all authority and all prevailing ideas. Scientific "skepticism" is limited in that it refuses to question its own radical privilege over other modes of comprehending the world, or its own possible insufficiency. [b]The true skeptic (zetetic) has no stake in any discourse/belief-system, religious, scientific, mythic, or otherwise, but he may borrow from any system the concepts he chooses to assimilate into a personal worldview.[/b] [/quote]

[quote]"Do not believe in anything
simply because you have heard it.
Do not believe in traditions
simply because they have been handed
down for many generations.
Do not believe in anything
simply because it is spoken and rumored by many.
simply because it is found written in your
religious books.
merely on the authority of your teachers
and elders.
But when, after observation and analysis,
you find anything that agrees with reason,
and is conducive to the good and benefit
of one and all,
then accept it (tentatively -n) and live up to it.
-- The Buddha's Kalama Sutra[/quote]

I claim no inherent superiority of one person over any other, not in 'thought', or 'belief' or any other way. All are of equally inherent 'value' in this great Tapestry of existence.
What is, is.

Peace
« Last Edit: Jun 30th, 2007 at 3:18am by nameless »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark)