Send Topic Print
Hello from Here (Read 6036 times)
nameless
Tiro

Here
Hello from Here
Jun 16th, 2007 at 2:32am

Hi all.
I have been a bladesmith (among a few other 'things') most of my life.
Now, I carve uniquely beautiful and well balanced walking canes (aka; war clubs). Designs are reminiscent of the south seas designs, to the Incan.
Helps a man to walk, just for style, perhaps, and is always at hand.
It is about the only 'weapon' that can legally be carried in Amerikkka.

Most, these days are carven from hickory pick-axe handles. The wood is usually bi-colored (for beauty. Only one in twenty have the required grain structure, along with the beauty) and well aged.
Tough to carve, guaranteed not to break when you need it most!
The last one had the 'edges' lined with graduating silver coins embedded into the wood, the slightly rounded 'flats' are adorned (armored) with more silver coins bent to fit on the wood and brass nailed to the stick. There is a carven raised 'handle' on the 'bottom' above the steel ferrule and hardened bolt head tip (counterbalance).
Well, that was just a hint to whet your whistle.

From 'steel' I have pounded everything from tiny hideout blades to polearms and swords, iron shod canes and staves, maces, bludgeons, etc...

I like the idea of variable lethality within one weapon (within one mind).
Of course, to know how to make these weapons 'efficiently' one must master the weapon itself, and 'work' from there. Fine tunings make a world of difference.

As for who I am.. well, if you know who 'you' are, you know who I am.

If not, and if you can 'stand it', you are welcome to catch a 'glimpse' (not related to weaponry at all, unless you consider knowledge and understanding 'weapons'..) here;

My blog; Truth Reality and Existence
[url]http://truthrealityandexistence.blogspot.com/"[/url]

and;

somewhat 'mirrored' but not all, here;
[url]http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.ListAll&friendID=84026732"[/url]

Please feel welcome to visit.
Definitely not for everybody.
Peace

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Re: Hello from Here
Reply #1 - Jun 16th, 2007 at 3:17am

Do you sling? Huh

IP Logged

nameless
Tiro

Here
Reply #2 - Jun 16th, 2007 at 6:14am

I have tried, numerous times to sling. I am rather a dead-eye with an elastic powered 'slingshot', but remain worthless with a common sling. That doesn't stop me from practicing when I can, but I still have difficulty with the broad side of the barn! Just not enough practice, I suppose, but for 'strays' and such in town here, the old wrist rocket suffices.
(I can 'sling' arrows nicely, though.)
I do appreciate the elegance and grace of the sling; perhaps I, too, will someday be elegant and graceful in its use.
Peace
« Last Edit: Jun 16th, 2007 at 7:40am by nameless »  

IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Reply #3 - Jun 16th, 2007 at 11:14am

Good to have another cane wielder in the group
Anxiously waiting for pictures of both slings and sticks...  Cool

I'm currently working on an Iron-Bamboo Walking/Hiking stick
I'll  have to look at hickory handles as shaft material ...
but then I need to build a shaving horse

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...
THIS ADVICE IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

IP Logged

nameless
Tiro

Here
Reply #4 - Jun 17th, 2007 at 2:51am

Steven wrote on Jun 16th, 2007 at 11:14am:
Good to have another cane wielder in the group
Anxiously waiting for pictures of both slings and sticks...  Cool

Thanx. I'll post a pic or two as soon as I do!
The last sling that I made was braided suede, with an integrally braided (on the edges) piece of the same leather, as pouch. Oh how I tried to hit something... deliberately...

Quote:
I'm currently working on an Iron-Bamboo Walking/Hiking stick
I'll  have to look at hickory handles as shaft material ...
but then I need to build a shaving horse

Much heavier than bamboo! Much!
The only time that I have used bamboo (a personal favorite substance!) is to hide swords and such inside.
No, actually a nicely tapered piece of a six sectional bamboo fishing pole. from where the handle attaches down a few feet can be quite an elegant and strong shaft.
But, for sheer whackability (the ability to deliver/withstand a solid whack), hickory (properly cured) is at the top of the list with little competition.
Of course, one of the drawbacks is that I remember each cane's construction by the number of blisters from carving.
Some say that if you put some alcohol on the surface or soak in water, it softens the wood, temporarily (till it dries), for easier carving. I haven't tried it.
Perhaps because I'm an idiot that enjoys pain? Perhaps for the 'cane' to be granted 'life', 'mana', the pain is necessary? Perhaps I don't want to place the 'cane' ('warclub') in any possible condition of 'weakness', and pain is a small price to pay? Perhaps all of the above? Ha....
There are the inlays and surface carving (like the South Seas clubs), and (almost) lastly, I baptise it in a linseed oil mixture.
Working cured hickory is a far step from the simple joys of bamboo!

When you say 'iron/bamboo' do you mean iron shod on the bottom? Top too?
(Dontcha love 'show-an-tell'? *__- )

How old does a horse have to be to shave?
(sorry..)

IP Logged

nameless
Tiro

Here
Reply #5 - Jun 17th, 2007 at 3:14am

The four characters in the foreground are hickory.

This one is a 'tooth' inlayed (traditional) olivewood rootball club/cane. Toasted and aged..
Antiques made while you wait!!
(Rather ironic, an 'olivewood' club! Ha!)

I'm going to need a sizing tutorial one of these days.

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #6 - Jun 17th, 2007 at 4:26am

I really like the sound of your canes and I hope I can get to see some soon. I too am quite fond of sticks and clubs. My favorite right now is a simple rattan cane. Low key but almost indestructable. Stick around (pun). This is a great site.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

nameless
Tiro

Here
Reply #7 - Jun 17th, 2007 at 4:51am

Thanx kahuna. Those pix are of some canes that I carved.
Perhaps if I 'stick' around long enough, I just might learn to use one of these slings efficiently. Just practice, I suppose. But there is so much knowlege around here that perhaps I can absorb some by osmosis (and some skill)?
Peace..

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #8 - Jun 17th, 2007 at 6:50am

For some reason I'm not getting your pictures. This seems to be happening alot. Sad

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Reply #9 - Jun 17th, 2007 at 10:09am

nameless wrote on Jun 17th, 2007 at 2:51am:
[

(sorry..)

Neigh ... nothing to be sorry about we enjoy bad jokes and puns Cheesy

Iron bamboo the walls of the bamboo grow in thickness until after about 3 years growth there is no hollow. The bamboo has become a solid shaft. Very dense very heavy bamboo.  Shocked

http://www.yucatanbamboo.com/index2.php?page=iron

I stand in awe of your sticks Cool .... and the amount of work
that goes into them.
I cord wrap (whip) a handle on a shaft ,  put a
crutch tip on the bottom and call it a stick  Embarrassed

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...
THIS ADVICE IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

IP Logged

nameless
Tiro

Here
Reply #10 - Jun 18th, 2007 at 2:38am

Steven wrote on Jun 17th, 2007 at 10:09am:
nameless wrote on Jun 17th, 2007 at 2:51am:
[

(sorry..)

Neigh ... nothing to be sorry about we enjoy bad jokes and puns Cheesy

Iron bamboo the walls of the bamboo grow in thickness until after about 3 years growth there is no hollow. The bamboo has become a solid shaft. Very dense very heavy bamboo.  Shocked

http://www.yucatanbamboo.com/index2.php?page=iron

I stand in awe of your sticks Cool .... and the amount of work
that goes into them.
I cord wrap (whip) a handle on a shaft ,  put a
crutch tip on the bottom and call it a stick  Embarrassed

Thanx for the kind words.
There can be as much, if not more elegance in the simplicity of your stix, than in the complexity of mine (which I try to make look 'simple').

WOW! I never heard of the iron bamboo before. I'm going to have to look into this. This is what grows locally??? Ain't you the lucky one!  Thanx for the link! Wow! Something new! Who'da thunk?!
Gotta get me some. From what i saw on the first page of the link, they dont seem to taper from the root up. Do they? My stix gotta have that nice taper (if possible). No cracking?! Again, wow!
Thanx again!
Peace

IP Logged

Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua
Interfector Viris Spurii

Matthew 11:25-30

Reply #11 - Jun 18th, 2007 at 3:51am

Nice wood work, Nameless.  Welcome to the Eagle's nest.  I perceive that you may do well with the staff sling should it prove of interest to you.

I visited your site.  Definitely interesting.

Quote:
The 'Belief' has numerous and often quite ingenius methods of propagation and self-protection. The hosts quite commonly kill and die for 'their' beliefs. The host is even driven to identify with his 'Belief virus', defending his 'beliefs' with any means necessary. Nothing too vicious or depraved to uphold the 'pride' that is personal identification with the 'belief'!

It is easy to kill for one's beliefs.  It is not so hard as well to die for one's beliefs.  I think it is much harder and commensurately more productive to instead live for one's beliefs.

God bless,

TS

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #12 - Jun 18th, 2007 at 9:40am

[quote]Now, I carve uniquely beautiful and well balanced walking canes (aka; war clubs). [/quote]
Now that's a man after my own heart - sod modesty, tell it like it is :-)
And they are pretty good. Beautiful, yes, unique - yes, any woden artifact is. But uniquely beautiful ? ie: beautiful in a way that nothing else in the universe is ?
Probably not, lol
Don't you just love semantics ;-)

[quote]"Thought doesn't enhance the joy and beauty of life but only removes one from the direct experience of it."
[/quote]
So the only thing that really experiences beauty is a rock ;-)

Lol oh we're going to have some fun :-)

Between you and techstuff I might get some really excellent arguments going ;-)
The kind of stuff that at the end not even the arguers have any idea what was going on.

Welcome to the forum - really :-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

nameless
Tiro

Here
Reply #13 - Jun 18th, 2007 at 5:25pm

Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua wrote on Jun 18th, 2007 at 3:51am:
Nice wood work, Nameless.  Welcome to the Eagle's nest.  I perceive that you may do well with the staff sling should it prove of interest to you.

Thank you for the welcome.
I have never tried a staff sling (though, I am good with a staff). Perhaps you might be right. I shall try one at my earliest! Thanx for the hint. Hitting anything particular has been a fleeting dream with the 'hand held' version. But i will continue to abuse my ego with one. I love a challenge!

Quote:
I visited your site.  Definitely interesting.

Thanx (I think) *__-

Quote:
The 'Belief' has numerous and often quite ingenius methods of propagation and self-protection. The hosts quite commonly kill and die for 'their' beliefs. The host is even driven to identify with his 'Belief virus', defending his 'beliefs' with any means necessary. Nothing too vicious or depraved to uphold the 'pride' that is personal identification with the 'belief'!

Quote:
It is easy to kill for one's beliefs.

Personal experience?

Quote:
It is not so hard as well to die for one's beliefs.

I do not agree. My experience is that Xtians (like Muslims) highest desire is to be 'martyred' for the subject of their 'belief infection'.
An interesting thing about the 'virus' is the delusional blindness that it propagates. Those would not be 'bullets' flying at one (or flames, or a guillotine..) but the face of Jesus (or whatever concept one has) welcoming one into 'heaven'.

Quote:
 I think it is much harder and commensurately more productive to instead live for one's beliefs.

Ease has nothing to do with it. It is like discussing an infection of the flesh-eating bacteria (though in this case it is a 'mind eating' virus). Ease of 'symptoms' is meaningless. There are 'symptoms'. Period. The symptoms of the 'belief' virus are many and nasty. Toxic. Wars are fought. People kill and die happily for their (idolatrous) concepts, 'beliefs', of their 'gods'. The virus is often spread at sword-point, 'for their own good (delusional behavior, and destructive)! Indiginous cultures have been violently destroyed while being converted to the 'one true religion'... 250,000,000 murdered in the name of Jesus to date... The symptoms of this terrible 'belief' infection are horrendous and toxic for all concerned. It is not only the 'religious' aspects, but any 'belief' at all has similar toxicological symptome.
A DELUSION is an 'illusion' BELIEVED to be 'Reality/Truth'.
There can be no 'delusion' without an infection of the 'belief virus'.

An interesting and rather indepth read can be found here; http://cscs.umich.edu/~crshalizi/Dawkins/viruses-of-the-mind.html on the subject.

Quote:
God bless,

Ditto

IP Logged

nameless
Tiro

Here
Reply #14 - Jun 18th, 2007 at 6:04pm

[quote author=curious_aardvark link=1181975538/0#12 date=1182174004][quote]Now, I carve uniquely beautiful and well balanced walking canes (aka; war clubs). [/quote]
Now that's a man after my own heart - sod modesty, tell it like it is :-)
And they are pretty good. Beautiful, yes, unique - yes, any woden artifact is. But uniquely beautiful ? ie: beautiful in a way that nothing else in the universe is ?
Probably not, lol[/quote]
Modesty is a vain illusion. No one that might be considered truly 'modest' ever thinks that he is, nor 'tries' to be.
I am simply 'honest', and yes, I tells it like I sees it!
Each of us are completely unique perspectives.
The work that I produce is a product of that unique perspective and it is that interpretation that makes my items absolutely unique. You will never see another just like them. Anywhere. And, yes, 'beauty' is in the eye of the beholder, and THIS beholder finds beauty in 'perfection' of form and function!  

[quote]Don't you just love semantics ;-)[/quote]
It is 'semantics' that define our 'reality'. In the beginning is the "WORD"!
I love when people erroneously use 'semantics' in a dismissive way. It is not to be 'dismissed' so easily.
Nothing can exist without 'definition/context', semantics!

[quote][quote]"Thought doesn't enhance the joy and beauty of life but only removes one from the direct experience of it."
[/quote]
So the only thing that really experiences beauty is a rock ;-)[/quote]
Or a serene and meditative (thoughtless) Zen Conscious awareness (lucidity).

[quote]Lol oh we're going to have some fun :-)[/quote]
Fun is fun! *__-

[quote]Between you and techstuff I might get some really excellent arguments going ;-)
The kind of stuff that at the end not even the arguers have any idea what was going on.[/quote]
First, I don't 'argue', I rather discuss. Ask questions, answer questions..
Secundus, I no longer (vainly) attempt to rationally and logically discuss the area of 'belief' with one so infected.
'Belief' is non-rational, emotional, prideful, delusional and therefore incapable of logical and rational discourse.
It is 'symptomatic', rather than 'thoughtful'. One symptom of an infection of the belief virus, is that one becomes incapable of 'critical thought' (on the subject of the 'belief), and, rather, seeks 'validation' and 'propagation'.
So, I don't think that I shall be engaging in fruitless verbal gladitorial combat for the enjoyment and entertainment of the 'masses'! *__-

[quote]Welcome to the forum - really :-)  [/quote]
Thank you. Nice to be here.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, Chris, Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini)