Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
making a knife- sharpening the blade? (Read 8538 times)
Admiral.Gallaway

Avast, me mateys, throw
'em to th' sharks

Wisconsin
making a knife- sharpening the blade?
Jun 11th, 2007 at 2:01pm

Hi Guys!
Haven't been around in a while, but now that it's summer my creative juices are flowing!
So, I have this old butterknife- rather small, that I'm trying to sharpen to make into a usable knife- say for whittling or other odd jobs... The problem is, I can't get a good edge on it. I need some help with that aspect. The only things I have around the house are some old files and lots of sandpaper. I don't really have much money, so I don't want to go buy something  Tongue Any suggestions or trick as to how to get a good edge?
Thanks,
~Admiral

IP Logged

PeanutChewSlurpy
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Bayville, NJ, USA
Re: making a knife- sharpening the blade?
Reply #1 - Jun 11th, 2007 at 3:03pm

Try consulting the folks at www.bladeforums.com , or www.jerzeedevil.com/forums . I think butter knife blades are too thin, though.

IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Reply #2 - Jun 11th, 2007 at 3:14pm

Sharpen with sand paper (look up "scary sharp" in google)
or
for quick edge sharpen on the bottom ring of a ceramic cup or bowl
Steven says: 'P.S. Butter knife is probably wrong metal for a good sharp edge. See if you can find worn out hacksaw blade. snap on a bias, sharpen snapped edge and mount in a handle.   Good inexpensive carving blade'

See the following threads
http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1145551311/13#13
http://gpvec.unl.edu/filesdatabase/files/feedlot/sharp1.htm

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...
THIS ADVICE IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #3 - Jun 11th, 2007 at 4:04pm

there is no such thing as a too-thin blade.  thin blades cut more efficiently becuase there is less drag.

buttt

most butter knives are made from cheap stainless steal that alot of higher end knife makers and knife companies would not even condisder suitable for handle material.  it is very soft and will not hold an edge even if you can put one on there in the first place.

i suggest you find an old grey blade paring knife at a fleamarket or pawn shop or the basement, attic or cutlery drawer.  the old gray, dirty looking blade is carbon steel and will likely be fairly hard as knife blades go.  carbon steel, when heat treated properly, will hold an edge for a long time and sharpen up well.

get a paring knife, even a stainless one.  they cost about a dollar and come close to sharp usually.

i like to convex cheap knife blades sometimes using the sandpaper on a peice of wood for support, and then sharpening with mousepad/sandpaper method.  google search and you will come up with lots of results.  read a few of the sites to get a good idea of what is happening.  some sites will have better written instructions and some sites will have better pictures.

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

Admiral.Gallaway

Avast, me mateys, throw
'em to th' sharks

Wisconsin
Reply #4 - Jun 11th, 2007 at 5:12pm

thanks guys, that helps alot. I guess I'll abandon the idea of using the butterknife, but now I have another question:
I got my hands on this surgical quality blade (leftover from a dissection kit), and I was wondering if it would be suitable for a knife etc. I don't doubt it, so my question is, "how to make a good handle for it?" Is there a good way to make one that folds in? or should I just try to make it fixed?
I believe it is #22 in this pic. It's described on the little container as "sterile single-use carbon steel", so I wonder if "single-use" would have any effect on the making of a knife from it...
Edited:
I'd like to make the handle out of wood, btw

IP Logged

fogish

Slinging?!

Oregon, USA
Reply #5 - Jun 11th, 2007 at 5:51pm

What do you plan on doing with the surgical blade? It is much easier to use the handle that is specially made for the blade to mount onto. They hold a good edge, but they are so thin that they do not handle lateral forces very well (bend very easily, and snap at the mounting pointing), they are for small precise incisions. I would not suggest it for an everyday use knife.

IP Logged

Admiral.Gallaway

Avast, me mateys, throw
'em to th' sharks

Wisconsin
Reply #6 - Jun 11th, 2007 at 9:24pm

fogish wrote on Jun 11th, 2007 at 5:51pm:
What do you plan on doing with the surgical blade? It is much easier to use the handle that is specially made for the blade to mount onto. They hold a good edge, but they are so thin that they do not handle lateral forces very well (bend very easily, and snap at the mounting pointing), they are for small precise incisions. I would not suggest it for an everyday use knife.

I'll probably use it for cutting things, carving a small amout of wood here and there, etc. I wont be using it like a bowie knife or something...

IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #7 - Jun 11th, 2007 at 9:50pm

Those blades are designed to be extremely sharp for cutting soft things. It is certainly an excellent blade, but will not suit your needs. Even working on soft material, they are meant to be used indefinitely or resharpened. Surgeons are known to change blades such as this mid-insicion because they can go dull so quickly. If you like this style though, (because in and of itself, it is great for some carving if you have enough of them) go to a hardware or hobby store and buy an "X-acto knife" set. They're very similar, will have a nice handle, and plenty of extra blades.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #8 - Jun 12th, 2007 at 6:45am

knife sharpening need not be hard or expensive.
as an example I have a tungsten carbide sharpener that cost me £12 from a gamekeepers fair.
I also have tungsten carbide sharpeners that I use for my kitchen knives (which do need to be SHARP) that I bought from poundland. They both are pretty much identical in what they do and how well they work.

So keep your eyes open in your local buck stores.
You can also pick up cheap diamond files from cut price tool shops. No they don't last as long as expensive alternatives - but hell it's diamond, you aren't going to wear it out in an afternoon either :-)
I've seen three grades of diamond file in  a pack going for as little as £4 - approx $7

The next time I see the tungsten carbide sharpeners in poundland I'll buy a few and stick them up for trade as they really are excellent.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #9 - Jun 12th, 2007 at 10:05am

Why not get an inexpensive exacto blade kit. Most hobby and arts and crafts stores sell them. When the blade gets dull, snap in a repalcement.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #10 - Jun 12th, 2007 at 10:09am

Also, I grew up sharpening blades. My Dad ran a business. Even for just casual cutting, he never used anything but carbon steel. He really did not like stainless. In many ways, I see his point. I have some carbon knives that are sharp enough to make the wind bleed. Shocked i cannot get that with stainless.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Admiral.Gallaway

Avast, me mateys, throw
'em to th' sharks

Wisconsin
Reply #11 - Jun 12th, 2007 at 10:37am

CanDo wrote on Jun 11th, 2007 at 9:50pm:
Those blades are designed to be extremely sharp for cutting soft things. It is certainly an excellent blade, but will not suit your needs. Even working on soft material, they are meant to be used indefinitely or resharpened. Surgeons are known to change blades such as this mid-insicion because they can go dull so quickly. If you like this style though, (because in and of itself, it is great for some carving if you have enough of them) go to a hardware or hobby store and buy an "X-acto knife" set. They're very similar, will have a nice handle, and plenty of extra blades.

hmmm, for some reason in the dissection they had me scraping a fish's skull apart  Shocked So I guess that the people with the dissection didn't know what they were for, or didn't expect me to use the blade again; but they only gave me two! (something's fishy there  Grin [sorry]).
Thanks to everyone else who contributed, I'm learning a lot here  Smiley

IP Logged

Admiral.Gallaway

Avast, me mateys, throw
'em to th' sharks

Wisconsin
Reply #12 - Jun 12th, 2007 at 10:41am

By the way, in case you were wondering, I'm making a new knife because I lost my old pocket knife Sad I'll probably be looking around at rummage sales too this year, see if I can find any good old penknives...

IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #13 - Jun 12th, 2007 at 6:49pm

yes look around at rummage sales, resale shops and antique furniture resale stores (sometimes nice old knives get left in drawers etc).

look for smooth gray blades, or good names like Case, Queen, Fighting Rooster, Buck, etc.

or you could get a solid carbon steel Opinel off of ebay or at ragweed forge (just past middle of page) for about $10 US.  i don't actually have one yet...but i have read nothing but good about them.  or for a fixed blade look around for a mora.

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #14 - Jun 13th, 2007 at 12:45pm

Also Camillus, and Kabar, both from Western New York. (plug plug plug)
  Schrade, Onion,  Gerber, and of course, good old Swiss Army, either from Wegner or Victorinox.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, Chris)