Send Topic Print
the middle ages (Read 3399 times)
casual universe
Tiro

slinging stoned

washington state, usa
the middle ages
Jun 9th, 2007 at 10:59pm

hello all, I am looking for sources on weaponry of the middle ages, specifically the use of slings, even if only by shepherds or what, as long as there is some sort of literature on it... anyone? otherwise i could use info on trebuches

IP Logged

PeanutChewSlurpy
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Bayville, NJ, USA
Re: the middle ages
Reply #1 - Jun 10th, 2007 at 3:01am

Might wanna check out the history of slinging section. But, medieval warfare happens to be a passion of mine. Slings are, aside from the arm, the oldest ranged weapon I know of. Most notably, and famously, it was sued by the Greeks, the Romans, the Saxons, the Vikings, the Celts...the list goes on. It is cheap and easy to make, the ammunition is generally plentiful, free, and reuseable. While it isn't lethal against a fully armored knight, being pelted by hundreds of stones while encased in a large metal can must have been distracting at the least. Against lightly or unarmored opponents, and well-placed stone can be lethal; that amounts to plenty of casualties in a battle, as most of the combatants were farmers, peasants, servants. They couldn't afford good, fancy weapons like the lance, the sword, or a warbow. this made them vulnerable.

And that's just a fraction of military information. You might try checking out www.netsword.com, but watch what you say; they've been kind of snooty lately. If you think of a more specific question, feel free to ask. Smiley

IP Logged

casual universe
Tiro

slinging stoned

washington state, usa
Reply #2 - Jun 10th, 2007 at 9:54am

to peanutchewslurpy...

how many slings have been found from say great britain after 1400? what about writings or stories?

what was more popular, slings or trebuches? did "arthur" use slings? how accurate was a shepherd sling? 

who is british? ask your great grand-dads if anyone would hunt rabbits or deers with slings.

ummm... what did slings have to do with history? how much is recorded?

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #3 - Jun 10th, 2007 at 11:01am

lol okay many points brought up by casual universe :-)
but first:-
[quote]of stones while encased in a large metal can must have been distracting at the least[/quote]

Given the force of impact and the size of stone that would have  been used for armoured knights 'distracting' is the best you could have hoped for. A really good head shot should at least cause concussion and with luck impact with sufficient force that you could break the knight's neck, or knock him off his horse.
And if you manage to knock him off his horse, he's dead meat.

[quote]how many slings have been found from say great britain after 1400[/quote]
None, bows had replaced slings long before then.

[quote]did "arthur" use slings?[/quote]
No. Even given the whole which century was arthur around in debate - it was still way after slings were in common use as a battlefield weapon.

[quote]who is british? ask your great grand-dads if anyone would hunt rabbits or deers with slings[/quote]

(sighs in lamentation of the american education system). Our great great great grandfathers had guns. Guns start kicking in around regularly 400 years or so ago (might be longer, someone will no doubt get it right :-) for the 1,000 or so years before that bows were the prime weapon of choice (remember robin hood ?).

I would say the most common rural hunting weapon for the last 500 years or so has been various implementations of the shotgun. Slings in britain pretty much died out after the romans buggered off. So it's possible they were brought here by the romans and left with them. I don't think there are any recorded instances of any of the primitive tribes of britain using slings in battle (obviously against the romans - nobody else wrote it down) The celts and gaels used them, as they are recorded in lists of grave goods. But I don't think any have been found in english burial mounds (please correct me if this is not the case).

Just because you can go back 200 years in america and find pioneers and wilderness survivors doesn't mean you can do that for anywhere in europe :-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #4 - Jun 10th, 2007 at 11:37am

History of the Northern Peoples, by Olaus Magnuss is a good source for late period slings. It was written in the late 1500's.

other than that, slings only get casual mentions in most history books. This is because of it not being considered a "noble " weapon. Knights and other nobility would not have used it.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

PeanutChewSlurpy
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Bayville, NJ, USA
Reply #5 - Jun 11th, 2007 at 12:57am

You might try looking into a book called The Maciejowskie Bible. It's considered the authority on medieval weapons illustrations, but it's not easy to find the whole book for sale, just pictures of the original. As far as 'really good head shots' and their proposed effectiveness...in that kind of battle, the only kind of shot there is is a lucky one. When the forces are massed together, it's not hard to hit someone, so I imagine the common practice was to just lob the stone or whatever in the enemy's general direction. Breaking a knight's neck? Unseating him? I have my doubts. Plate armor (including helms) was very thick, and all secured together to prevent such things from happening.

Bows didn't replace slings. I reiterate my previous point: the average Joe could not afford fancy weapons like a good bow. The favorite wood for bows, for several hundred years, was yew. This wood was VERY valuable, and VERY expensive. This is not to say another wood cannot be used, but it still would not be cheap in terms of time and energy spent by the busy farmer. The common fellow that wanted a ranged weapon used a sling. There were always common folk using common weapons.

If king Arthur ever really existed, he probably didn't use a ranged weapon at all. Antoine Fuqua is an idiot.

I don't know any specific sling resources, or mentionings. I don't have the resources for that yet. Slings or trebuchets...both were probably very popular. Trebuchets, though, were very expensive, and not much good in a close quarters situation. They were best used in seige warfare, where battlements and walls needed to be destroyed. Plus, they're both essentially the same thing; a trebuchet is just a giant sling.

A sling is as accurate as the slinger. If you mean how accurate was a shepherd with a sling, he was probably pretty darn good. Those sheep are his livelihood; if a wolf takes even one, his family might not eat for some time. There's a saying I read on a Magic: The Gathering card that made a lot of sense:"The less a man has, the harder he'll fight for it."

The word 'British' typically covers England, Wales, Ireland, Scotland, etc. Most of the English I've spoken to don't like being called English and prefer British, for some reason.

None of my great grandfathers are alive.

Slings, I imagine had a lot to do with history. They probably provided meals for a lot of human beings, not to mention slew a giant or two, thereby allowing those humans to breed and get us where we are today. If you're interested in the complicated view of things, that is. Check out some old tapestries or books on war befor 1600AD or so. You should be able to pick out the sling in some form or another, somewhere.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #6 - Jun 11th, 2007 at 7:59am

[quote]Breaking a knight's neck? Unseating him? I have my doubts. Plate armor (including helms) was very thick, and all secured together to prevent such things from happening[/quote]

Well working on the principle that knights - being on horses are very conspicuous targets and at close range - less than 100 yards - stones weighing over 1lb can be slung accurately with real force. It's doable :-)
Get on a horse in plate armour and let me try and knock you off ;-) I reckon I can do it lol

Had  a series of similiar discussions last year with someone who 1) claimed big axes were unpractical because he couldn't use one and 2) that an armoured knight was more than  a match in a hand to hand contest with an unarmoured fighter.
It all boils down to the individual - I can use a big axe. And if you can't move faster than a knight in full armour - you deserve to be chopped up ;-)

But as for slings in common use in england - there is no mention in any tales or legends or records. They just don't seem to have been commonly used here and do seem to have been entirely replaced by the bow or not used in the first place. The only remnants in museums date from roman periods. Which tells you something :-)

[quote]The word 'British' typically covers England, Wales, Ireland, Scotland, etc. Most of the English I've spoken to don't like being called English and prefer British, for some reason.
[/quote]
Which is odd as pretty much all the english I've met (and I live here ;-) tend to object to being lumped in with the welsh and irish :-)
English and british are two different identities. You'll find that the welsh, scots (particularly the scots) and the irish will tell you the same. You're english first and british second. And if you're scottish - well you're scottish, many of them object to the british label at all :-)

these days british tends to cover anyone born in the isles - indian, pakistani, west indian, bengali etc
The trend is very definitely towards british as a second identity and whatever ethnic background you own as your first identity.

So lumping celts and gaels in with the angles and the saxons - very bad idea, they were all very seperate peoples with different customs and cultures and weapons.
I suppose the picts might have used slings but, again I don't think there is any concrete evidence.

[quote]Plus, they're both essentially the same thing; a trebuchet is just a giant sling.
[/quote]
Nope - not having that :-). A sling is a man portable weapon consisting of two cords and a pouch - it can be made with very little skill. While trebuchets share the same principles - trebuchets require complex carpentry knowlege, are true artillery weapons, expensive to both make and maintain. You might say that a .22 pistol and a 50mm self propelled gun are the same thing as they both use the same principle. Or that a two handed sword is the same as a small knife because they both use the same principle.

Just because siege weapons are used it does not indicate that hand slings are also used - and vice versa.
Slings fell out of use in military terms very very quickly. You can train a man to fire a crossbow reasonably accurately in about 10 minutes. It takes years to be as accurate with a sling. A bow takes slightly longer to learn to use acceptably - a day or so.
So while bows and crossbows were more expensive to make, they could be used by everyone with minimal training. If your crossbowman died, someone else could pick up the weapon and continue. Not so with a slinger. He dies - you lose his weapons firepower.

Also personal weapons like bows were often held by the soldier, who was also a peasant. so slings also fell out of use domestically as bows took over.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Dravonk
Funditor

Aachen, Germany
Reply #7 - Jun 11th, 2007 at 8:35am

PeanutChewSlurpy wrote on Jun 11th, 2007 at 12:57am:
the average Joe could not afford fancy weapons like a good bow.

Wasn't there a law in England saying that the "average Joe" had to buy a war-capable bow?

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #8 - Jun 11th, 2007 at 11:57am

the average joe was a militia man. He had no choice. As for afford a bow. Many probably made their own. Quality would have varied, but there were a lot more trees back then (in spades !) and wood was cheap :-)
The best would most likely have been provided by their squire and remained the squire's property.

It is a mistake to think of peasants as individuals. They were pretty much all owned and owed allegiance to one squire or another. squires in turn owed allegaince to a more powerful lord and so on.
But the peasants had very little choice in how their lives were lived.

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #9 - Jun 11th, 2007 at 12:48pm

Slings were in use in England. You just have to dig deep enough. Anglo Saxons used both slings and fustibals
  The best source I have found is the Gesta Stephani, about the wars of King Stephan in the 1200's. He attacked a castle in Exeter with slingers.
  Also, during the Baron's Wars, some scholars from Cambridge held off attacking nobilty wit a sling assault.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

SEB

Oh dear...there goes the
neighbourhood

Netherlands
Reply #10 - Jun 28th, 2007 at 7:30am

hi casual universe

here are some links that might be of use:

http://www.chrisharrison.net/projects/sling/index.html

http://www.mnemosyne.org/mia/search

by this last one type "sling"in the search area and you will get a lot of midievel paintings from slings

hope this is helpfull

is it a bird? is it a plane? no, it's a...DUCK!!&&ffffFFFkadef!!...auw, that's not a duck, thats a rock!!

IP Logged

ADAXL

Greetings to Slinging.org!

Vienna, Austria (Europe)
Lets address the questions
Reply #11 - Jun 28th, 2007 at 1:16pm

how many slings have been found from say great britain after 1400?

I dunno. Slings were often made from organic material (leather or cord) and did not last long. 

what was more popular, slings or trebuchet?

What was more popular - the pistol or the howitzer? Sling and trebuchet were very different weapons, with very different applications. The trebuchet was popular to toss big rocks at castles.

did "arthur" use slings?
Not Arthur himself, but the simple men of his army. The sling was a weapon of shepherds or peasants. Here is an image of a slinger on the Bayeux tapestry. Look for the guy named "TUROLD". The slinger is just below him: http://rubens.anu.edu.au/htdocs/laserdisk/0214/21425.JPG. The tapesty shows what things were like in the 11. century, so there were probably slingers before.

how accurate was a shepherd sling? 
Difficult to tell. Remember that all these ranged weapons in the middle ages were used like we use machine gun fire: against massed targets. An archer or slinger did not target the 437th knight from the left, but shot volleys in an orderly fashion at an enemy army. The sling had the huge benefit that ammunition was easy to come by, so volley shooting was even more practical than with bows, where the archers had to watch their ammunition expenditure.

Get these images from the Maciejowski bible:
http://www.medievaltymes.com/courtyard/maciejowski_images_28.htm - panel 28 David kills Goliath
http://www.medievaltymes.com/courtyard/images/maciejowski/leaf42/otm42rc&d.gif - A close-up from panel 42, You can see a slinger with a blue shield on the right side

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Battle_najera_froissart.jpg - Battle of Najera, 1367. You can see a slinger dressed in green right of the center. This man has a shield too, and good armor.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #12 - Jul 2nd, 2007 at 7:30am

[quote]Remember that all these ranged weapons in the middle ages were used like we use machine gun fire: against massed targets[/quote]

Which of course depends on the skill of the slinger. There is absolutely no reason why slingers could not also have been used as snipers, concentrating on a particular knight or commander. 

Also bear in mind it's much easier to sneak around with a lsing than it is to sneak around with a longbow. So it's probable that slingers were used as ambush troops as well.

Please stop making these sweeping assumptions based on your own levels of skill.

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #13 - Jul 2nd, 2007 at 10:39am

There are several instances of slingers being in high rocky places and ambushing armies. Also, Alexander once used slings as an ambush weapon right in an enemies'camp. They had them hidde, and pulled them out at the last second.

IP Logged

ADAXL

Greetings to Slinging.org!

Vienna, Austria (Europe)
Reply #14 - Jul 2nd, 2007 at 3:46pm

[quote author=curious_aardvark link=1181444384/0#12 date=1183375855][quote]Remember that all these ranged weapons in the middle ages were used like we use machine gun fire: against massed targets[/quote]

Which of course depends on the skill of the slinger. There is absolutely no reason why slingers could not also have been used as snipers, concentrating on a particular knight or commander.[/quote]

Of course, slings could be used for precision shooting. I was merely decribing he normal military application in a pitched battle. There are few historical accounts of precision fire by slings or bows. Davids duel against Goliath comes to mind, but this was a legendary fight, and even the bible presents it as an unusual victory obtained with the help of god. There is also the legend about King Harold getting killed by an arrow at Hastings (1066), but this is historically unclear. Celtic Irish legends are full of precision slinging: Lugh killed Balor of the Evil Eye with a sling. Queen Medb was killed by a sling missile cast by the vengeful Furbaide while bathing, and so on.

However, I couldn't find any real-world account of sling sniping.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, vetryan15, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, Chris, Kick, Curious Aardvark)