Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Braided sling problem... (Read 1862 times)
Sora

I'm slinging in the rain...

Hellgium
Braided sling problem...
Jun 9th, 2007 at 9:35am

Well, i just made my first braided sling (can't post any pictures, camera is doing weird) and i got a problem.
The ammo keeps falling out of the sling through that gap that you have when you make a braided sling (like the one from the article on this site) Does someone know how i can prevent this? if it help the sling itself is 38cm and the two braids for the pouch are each 10cm.
Thanks in adavance!

Hey dude, check out my new underhand style...&&BANG!!!...err...sorry...

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Re: Braided sling problem...
Reply #1 - Jun 9th, 2007 at 10:54am

10 centimetres (4 inches) is just is about right for a tennis ball.  And tennis balls are my recommended ammo for beginning slingers. They hurt less when you drop one on your head. 

My first sling was made according to Dan Bollinger's instructions in his article, 
Making a Braided Sling: An Illustrated Guide
.  Dan wrote that a 4-inch split pouch was good for rocks the size of a golf ball.  However, when I tried to load a rock in the sling, it slipped out between the straps.  But tennis balls fit perfectly.  Spread the pouch straps so that they go around the ball at right angles to each other, and you should have no problems.  If I don't spread the straps far enough apart, then I do sometimes loose the ball early (it falls out one side).

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

Sora

Hellgium
Reply #2 - Jun 9th, 2007 at 12:18pm

Oh 4 inch is for tennis balls, i also made my sling with that article so i thought it was for golf balls...
Well, i'm going to try it out right now and i'll post something when done.
thanks.

IP Logged

SunyJim
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

London, Ontario, Canada
Reply #3 - Jun 9th, 2007 at 12:34pm

I had the same problem and ended up adding some leather that I had from a furniture sample book. I deconstructed my braid to the pocket and then braided the leather in, then sewed it to the cord.

Of course failing some leather, you could just do the deconstruct of the braid, and just make it smaller than 4 inches by a little bit, (there may be some stretch in your cord when you start to spin it allowing the pocket to get even bigger) and then rebraid it at 3 3/4 inches.

IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #4 - Jun 9th, 2007 at 12:37pm

i used to sling exclusively with a sling similiar to the one in that article, and i used all sizes of ammo.  most were about the size of a golfball or a little bigger.  the trick is to balance the ammo on the two cords (it helps if the ammo is a little bit egg shaped and a little bit rough) like a little hammock with a space in the middle.

then i got some leather and turned a split pouch sling into an apache style sling and now it doesn't really matter what size or shape ammo i use as long as it is not so big it tips out of the pouch.

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

Zwiebeltuete
Descens

Fly! Angel, fly!

Germany, near Nuremberg
Reply #5 - Jun 9th, 2007 at 6:32pm

I can recommend the three-strap-pouch version. I had never fall anything out of this. I have a description at http://www.mbsks.franken.de/slinging/slinging.html#EtruscanSling.

Zwiebeltuete

Slinging since 2005-09-24.
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #6 - Jun 9th, 2007 at 7:14pm

the three strap pouch is much better than the 2 strander -  I personally feel the 2 strand pouch is totally bloody useless. A solid pouch is best. An aussie pouch is not entirely solid but is totally best :-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Sora

Hellgium
Reply #7 - Jun 10th, 2007 at 7:00am

I hope this picture attachment works...

sling_001.jpg (870 KB | 40 )
sling_001.jpg

IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #8 - Jun 10th, 2007 at 9:28am

sora, that looks like a good sling. 

it should work fine with tennis balls or rocks a little smaller than tennis balls...it is all about getting it to balance on the two straps

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

Pio
Descens

¡A cantazos!

Ciudad Real, Spain
Reply #9 - Jun 28th, 2007 at 11:25am

I have had that problem sometimes, and I think it’s easy to solve. Look at the tenth step in http://www.mallorcaweb.net/foners/ferfona/00_Aferfona.htm: it prevents not only from breaking, but, almost sure, will solve your problem. You can use almost anything instead of leather. Good luck.

Desciñéronse las hondas y comenzaron a saludarle los oídos con piedras como el puño. (Miguel de Cervantes, El ingenioso Hidalgo Don Quijote de la Mancha, I, cap. 18)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Curious Aardvark, Morphy, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Kick)