Send Topic Print
purchasing ammo (Read 2979 times)
casual universe
Tiro

slinging stoned

washington state, usa
purchasing ammo
Jun 8th, 2007 at 2:58am

what is the cheapest/ best ammo that you know of? i'm thinking lead fishing weights. any better/ cheaper sources? anybody manufacturing them? and does anybody know what the best shape is? besides all-natural rocks?

IP Logged

Africa_Slinger

I love Slinging.org!

Johannesburg, South Africa
Re: purchasing ammo
Reply #1 - Jun 8th, 2007 at 3:25am

Welcome.

Some members would make their own lead glands wich is shaped like a egg or american football. The romans used these same shapes in lead. You could also make glands from salt and flour (there is a post futher down the page) or even cement. You could cut rebar to little lengths etc etc.

Do some reading in the guides section for more diy stuff.

Coenie

Keep your shoulder to the wheel&&Your hand to the helm&&Your eye on the ball&&Your nose to the grindstone&&Your ear to the ground&&And you will not have time to put your foot in your mouth.&&&&(unknown)

IP Logged

ArizonaSlinger

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #2 - Jun 8th, 2007 at 11:30am

I would like to make rebar bullets.  I would make them 1.5 times as long as the diameter. I would then put a bushy yarn tail on it about 2.5 times as long as the diameter.

Anyways, here is a table that shows the relationship between rebar size and projectile mass. The mass of the projectile is based on the calculation that the projectile is 1.5 times as long as the diameter.

I would probably use 5/8 (.625) inch or 15.88 mm diameter rebar.  If these pieces are cut to a length that is 1.5 times the diameter, they would have a mass of 37 grams.  I might instead choose to make them twice as long at the diameter in which case they would be 49 grams.  I know this is on the light side, but I would like to carry a bunch of these to use for "plinking".

Weight            Weight            Nominal Diameter                        Grams

(lb⁄ft)            (kg/m)            (in)            (mm)            
0.376            0.561            0.375            9.525            8.015
0.668            0.996            0.500            12.70            18.97
1.04            1.556            0.625            15.88            37.05
1.50            2.240            0.750            19.05            64.0
2.04            3.049            0.875            22.23            101.6
2.67            3.982            1.000            25.40            151.7
3.40            5.071            1.128            28.65            217.9
4.30            6.418            1.270            32.26            310.6
5.31            7.924            1.410            35.81            425.6
7.65            11.4100            1.693            43.00            735.9
13.6            20.2840            2.257            57.33            1744

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #3 - Jun 9th, 2007 at 7:36pm

what's rebar ?

The cheapest ammo is the stuff you pick up from the ground :-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #4 - Jun 9th, 2007 at 9:29pm

"Rebar"  =  "reinforcing bar"

It is steel rod, anywhere from around a quarter-inch to a couple of inches in diameter (depending on where it is going to be used).  You make a loose framework of rebar, and then pour concrete all around it.  The technique is called reinforced concrete construction.  Concrete itself is great under a compressive load, but just pulls apart under tension.  The rebar framework provides strength under tension.

There's a good article about
rebar
at Wikipedia.  In case anyone's interested, the article has also been translated into Arabic, Bulgarian, German, Esperanto, Norwegian, Polish, Russian, Swedish, and Thai.

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

casual universe
Tiro

slinging stoned

washington state, usa
Reply #5 - Jun 9th, 2007 at 10:42pm

how hot does rebar have to be to melt? maby i'll just get a melon baller and have at a hunk of cold lead... i'm kind of afraid of molten metals... i want 1" diameter lead/ iron/ and or steel ball bearings...

anybody ever think that the football shaped projectiles were originally spherical but squashed on impact? maybe the clay ones were soft when hurled, too.

who does all the scientific tests on aerodynamics and momentum and shape and mass and spin and stuff? because i know that cheap stones spin differently depending on the throw, which massively affects aim. front and backspin are the most basic principles that i understand...

anyway, lots of questions... i think i'm going to make some cement ones.. someday...

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #6 - Jun 10th, 2007 at 2:04am

Mild steel melts at around 1500 degrees Fahrenheit Celsius (around 810 Celsius 2730 Fahrenheit).  However, rebar is usually cut with a carbide saw.

No, the lead glandes were molded in the oblong shapes.  If they were deformed by impact, then the molded-in inscriptions would not be readable anymore.

As for finding (used) steel balls, you might look for a metal recycler, or perhaps a manufacturer that uses ball mills (a concrete place, or perhaps a sheet rock maker).  Ball mills are used to grind stuff up.  Eventually the balls are worn out and have to be replaced.  Seems to me like they would still be fine for slinging.  So far I have had no luck finding such a place, but I haven't been looking very hard.  Most of my slinging is done with tennis balls, and the few times I use something harder, I use landscaping rock.  River rock can be found very cheaply.

EDIT: Thanks to LoboHunter for pointing out my error.  Didn't pay attention when I was transcribing the temperature.
« Last Edit: Jun 18th, 2007 at 2:03am by Dale »  

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

ArizonaSlinger

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #7 - Jun 13th, 2007 at 12:56am

If you're going for cheap and easy ammo, I wouldn't bother metling rebar.  I would just find someone to cut it for you.  I think they come in 12 foot lengths.  You could cut it into one inch lengths and have a ~144 pieces of ammo.

casual universe wrote on Jun 9th, 2007 at 10:42pm:
how hot does rebar have to be to melt? ...

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #8 - Jun 17th, 2007 at 8:05am

[quote]"Rebar"  =  "reinforcing bar"

[/quote]

Um, that's all I needed lol
weirdly I knew what reinforced concrete was. ;-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #9 - Jun 17th, 2007 at 5:47pm

oops...

Went overboard a bit, did I?

Oh well, nothing new there...

EDIT: But I was WRONG as well.  Nothing worse than a know-it-all that doesn't...
« Last Edit: Jun 18th, 2007 at 2:05am by Dale »  

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #10 - Jun 17th, 2007 at 6:17pm

Dale wrote on Jun 10th, 2007 at 2:04am:
Mild steel melts at around 1500 degrees Fahrenheit (around 810 Celsius).  However, rebar is usually cut with a carbide saw.

No, the lead glandes were molded in the oblong shapes.  If they were deformed by impact, then the molded-in inscriptions would not be readable anymore.

As for finding (used) steel balls, you might look for a metal recycler, or perhaps a manufacturer that uses ball mills (a concrete place, or perhaps a sheet rock maker).  Ball mills are used to grind stuff up.  Eventually the balls are worn out and have to be replaced.  Seems to me like they would still be fine for slinging.  So far I have had no luck finding such a place, but I haven't been looking very hard.  Most of my slinging is done with tennis balls, and the few times I use something harder, I use landscaping rock.  River rock can be found very cheaply.

ummm thats 1500 celsius http://education.jlab.org/qa/meltingpoint_01.html but you don't have to take my word lol

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #11 - Jun 18th, 2007 at 2:06am

Thanks for pointing out my goof, Lobo.  Not quite sure how I did that.  I'd like to blame my source, but I checked back and it was right.

IP Logged

AZtopstitcher
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

New River, AZ
Reply #12 - Jun 18th, 2007 at 9:30pm

Putting together some of the ideas already voiced here I'd like to hear your opinion of this solution. It isn't necessary to actually melt steel in order to reshape it. If one were to take a couple dozen 1/2"x 1.5" cut rebar pieces and place said rebar in the trough of a charcoal forge, bring it up to red hot.  Drop the red hot blank into a stamping die designed to taper both ends. Place the top on the die and give it a couple solid blows with a 20 lb sledge or drop hammer. Open the die and behold a chunk of rebar formed into an approximation of a football.

Do what you've always done and you'll get what you've always got."

IP Logged

ArizonaSlinger

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #13 - Jun 24th, 2007 at 2:18am

AZtopstitcher,
I like your idea of stamping the rebar.

IP Logged

1srelluc
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Jun 26th, 2007 at 8:22pm

Use egg sinkers. You can buy a mold to cast them in the weight you want and they are the right shape. I have found out that 2 to 3oz. sinkers sling best. Much more weight than that is hard on you. The molds are about $30.00 US. You can get  used lead wheel weights at most tire shops for little or no cost. I use lead cable sheathing myself. It was free. Casting equipment is as simple as a cast iron lead pot and ladel for about $20.00 US. A simple heat source is a gas or propane camp stove. Its a extra plus if you fish and can cast your own sinkers too. I surf fish so I go through a lot of sinkers.

Just melt the wheel weights in your pot (the steel clips will float to the top) in a well vented area. Avoid water near your casting site like the plague, water in  molten lead will make it splatter. DO NOT have a cell phone on or other distractions (wife, kids, friends) around while casting.  Its a one-man show. You develop a rythem while casting and you will be surprised how much ammo you can make in an hour.

IMHO casting is the way to go as far as makeing consistant ammo. If you price  what a 2-3oz egg sinker costs your set up will pay for itself in no time. There is also the satisfaction of making something that works well yourself.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, Morphy, vetryan15, Chris, Rat Man)