Send Topic Print
Howdy folks (Read 2416 times)
PeanutChewSlurpy
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Bayville, NJ, USA
Howdy folks
Jun 7th, 2007 at 3:07am

Hey boys and girls, how's it going? The message said to post here, so here I'm posting. I got a sling a few years ago, because I thought it would be fun to learn to use it and break bottles and such. I came closer to breaking the windows on my dad's beloved F-250. So it's been put away for a while. Then just the other day, I was sitting in my basement, thinking about what to do. I looked from my leatherworking bag and paracord down to my sling. Leather bag and cord, sling. Leather and cord=sling. Bingo! So I got to work, and have made six; three with circular cups that will probably fall apart, two based on an article I found here (How to Build a Simple Sling), and one oval one I did freehand. I have nowhere to test any of my creations without running the serious risk of breaking something, though.

So, yeah, there's my introduction. Howdy folks. Smiley

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Re: Howdy folks
Reply #1 - Jun 7th, 2007 at 4:41am

Greetings from Australia,

Finding a good place to sling can be a problem especially for city dwellers, but keep in mind that a sling is only as dangerous as the projectile. If you stick to tennis balls you can probably sling in the local park without worrying anybody. Works for me.

Regards,

Aussieslinger

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #2 - Jun 7th, 2007 at 9:45am

Football fields and golf balls

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #3 - Jun 7th, 2007 at 11:32am

Golf course (driving range) and golf balls.

Building with blank brick wall and tennis balls.

Baseball field and tennis balls!  I spend my lunch hour on the pitcher's mound, slinging a dozen tennis balls and running around fetching them.  My goal is not to have to fetch any of them: if I bounce a ball off the backstop, it comes right back to me.

Park (or other open field), dog, and tennis ball.  Automatic ball retrieval!

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

Captain Paul
Descens

der Schleudermeister

Bell Buckle,Tennessee
Reply #4 - Jun 7th, 2007 at 1:08pm

If you are slinging tennis balls,try making a small slit in the ball and placing some lead shot (like in a shotgun shell) inside the tennis ball and then seal the slit with RTV silicone.  This will make a dead ball which will have a tendency to keep the ball from bouncing everywhere and make retreival much easier.

Never look down on someone--unless you are helping them up !

IP Logged

PeanutChewSlurpy
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Bayville, NJ, USA
Reply #5 - Jun 7th, 2007 at 11:54pm

Come to think of it, there is a park nearby. With any luck, there'll be some open space amidst the woods. If I was still employed, I could have scored a couple dozen used golf balls, but alas, 'tis too late. If I can get ahold of some tennis balls I'll try them. But wouldn't the pouch have to be huge?

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #6 - Jun 8th, 2007 at 2:42am

Not really.  I guess it depends on your definition of "huge" Grin.

Just give it a try with the sling you've already got.  Chances are they'd hold a tennis ball OK.  Otherwise you may have to make some new slings.

good luck!

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #7 - Jun 8th, 2007 at 7:08am

My pouches are specifically tailored for tennis balls. Just PM me your mailing address and it's on the way.

IP Logged

PeanutChewSlurpy
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Bayville, NJ, USA
Reply #8 - Jun 8th, 2007 at 1:34pm

I appreciate the offer, Aussie, but I think i'd like to get to know people better before giving out my address.

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #9 - Jun 8th, 2007 at 7:46pm

Sure, we Australians are pretty dodgy.  Embarrassed  After all we walk around upside down, drive on the wrong side of the road and have winter in June - August. But I never kiss on the first date either.

Offer's still open though. Just let me know when you think protocol has been observed. Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar)