Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
My Nylon Sling (Read 4714 times)
OwThatsMyEye
Tiro

Bloomington, MN
My Nylon Sling
Jun 4th, 2007 at 2:11pm

Here is the sling I made a few days ago.  I used 1/8 nylon rope and some old straps off of a backpack. It hasn't given me any problems so far and is holding up wonderfully.

IP Logged

Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua
Interfector Viris Spurii

Matthew 11:25-30

Re: My Nylon Sling
Reply #1 - Jun 4th, 2007 at 2:45pm

Well played.....OTME!  A utilitarian after my own heart.  I've no doubt that you will go far in the way of the sling.

Like your monicker.....If I remember correctly....a short quote from Ben Franklin immediately before inventing safety spectacles.

TS

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Africa_Slinger

I love Slinging.org!

Johannesburg, South Africa
Reply #2 - Jun 5th, 2007 at 1:58am

Good looking sling there. Surely will last a long time.

Coenie

Keep your shoulder to the wheel&&Your hand to the helm&&Your eye on the ball&&Your nose to the grindstone&&Your ear to the ground&&And you will not have time to put your foot in your mouth.&&&&(unknown)

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #3 - Jun 5th, 2007 at 6:23am

nice pouch, reminiscent of aussies mass production line :-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #4 - Jun 5th, 2007 at 5:34pm

SWEET!!!!!

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #5 - Jun 5th, 2007 at 7:33pm

Quote:
SWEET!!!!!

Not-sweet??

Lobo, did you mean to say:

SWEET!!!!!

I think I'll go hide now, before Lobo chucks a rock at me...

And I agree, that's a nice pouch design.

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #6 - Jun 5th, 2007 at 7:43pm

that's a really nice pouch design...i think i sense some experience with the sewing machine... Tongue

is that artificial sinew whipping to hold the loops closed at the joints?  just be careful that those are really right, or else they might slip with heavy slinging...i have had a few slings come apart that way.

it looks like you have had the chance to throw some rocks already...how did it go?

also, just out of curiosity, what grip/style/ammo combination do you use or feel most comfortable with?

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

OwThatsMyEye
Tiro

Bloomington, MN
Reply #7 - Jun 6th, 2007 at 12:58am

siguy wrote on Jun 5th, 2007 at 7:43pm:
that's a really nice pouch design...i think i sense some experience with the sewing machine... Tongue

is that artificial sinew whipping to hold the loops closed at the joints?  just be careful that those are really right, or else they might slip with heavy slinging...i have had a few slings come apart that way.

it looks like you have had the chance to throw some rocks already...how did it go?

also, just out of curiosity, what grip/style/ammo combination do you use or feel most comfortable with?

Naw dude, that was accualy the first time I've ever use a sewing machine. I had to watch the video tape on how to use it two times before I accualy figured the thing out.

But yea I whiped the loops together with some old saddle stiching thred that my dad had lying around.  I wraped them tight as hell too, I had to use a plyers to pull the sting throu at the end.  After that I put two layers of Elmer's glue over the thred.  I made the loop holes in the pouch by heeting a nail up with a torch and pressing it throu the nylon. It makes a perfict hole that wont unravel the stiching of the pouch so i really don't think that will give me much trouble.

The rock chucking has been going great so faw.  Just a couple of hours ago myh friend and I were chillin' at the park and I was slinging some rocks about the size of my fist at a paper bag that was about thirty feet away.  On my first shot I missed the bag by about two feet and the rock smashed throu a wood fence right behind it.  I meen this thing was demolished, the plank I broke was about 3/4" X 6" and it snaped it in half and was riped out by the nails on top and bottom landing like 10' behind the fence.  The power you can generate with one of those things amasing, I think I'm going to have to be more carefull with that in the future.

As for my "grip/style/ammo" I feel most comfortible and get the best resalts when I hold the tab thingy between my index finger and thumb.  I then spin it counter colckwise above my head, parallel too the ground,  one or two times then I relese it under hand on my right side at somthing like a 45 degree angle with my body. Ammo... I first thoght I would mainly be slinging golf ball since I have a plentiful supply of them for my treebuche, but my ideal ammo I've found would be a smooth football shaped rock about an 2" diameter by 3" long.

Mind you, I 'm not pretending that I know what I'm talking about with any of this poopy, I've only been at it for a week or so but I'm lovin' it so far.  I think this is the longest thing I've ever written on a forum before. Ask alot of questions get alot of answers.

-Matt aka-OwThatsMyEye

IP Logged

AZtopstitcher
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

New River, AZ
Reply #8 - Jun 6th, 2007 at 2:57pm

Like your design a lot. I will have to copy that!

Do what you've always done and you'll get what you've always got."

IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #9 - Jun 6th, 2007 at 3:40pm

thanks matt for that response. 

i expected that those stitches would take some experience to do skillfully...

about slinging at the park...i don't use any kind of dangerous ammo when i am slinging with other people around or in public places like parks, schools etc.  tennis balls and koosh balls are great for that sort of thing...rocks are incredibly dangerous (learned this the hard way) and should only be used when slinging alone with absolutely no chance of a person being around.

sounds like you are having alot of fun with this...it really is a great hobby.

hope to see you around for a while yet... 

EDITED to add;
how is minnesota for slinging?  lots of wide open spaces?

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

linkomies
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Uurainen-Finland
Reply #10 - Jun 28th, 2007 at 2:43pm

Can you get some instructions for that kind of pouch (THATS AWESOME!)and how long is the pouch?

Give man a fire and he's warm for the rest of the day. Set him to fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #11 - Jun 29th, 2007 at 6:51am

what other instructions do you need ?
You can see the three strips of material that were used. He's given details on how the holes were made and the stitching done.
Just read the thread again - slowly ;-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #12 - Jul 8th, 2007 at 4:08pm

wow somebody can sew!

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #13 - Jul 8th, 2007 at 4:09pm

Dale wrote on Jun 5th, 2007 at 7:33pm:
Quote:
SWEET!!!!!

Not-sweet??

Lobo, did you mean to say:

SWEET!!!!!

I think I'll go hide now, before Lobo chucks a rock at me...

And I agree, that's a nice pouch design.

Its not Rocks I desire to chuck lol

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Morphy, Kick, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15)