Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Greetings from Phoenix AZ (Read 1634 times)
AZtopstitcher
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

New River, AZ
Greetings from Phoenix AZ
Jun 1st, 2007 at 11:51am

Hi all. Just amazed at some of the beautiful craftsmanship displayed in the gallery. Wow.. The how to articles are great. I made my first sling yesterday and this morning actually had some initial "success" with it. ( The stones landed mostly in front of me! And I didn't bash my shins or worse.) No pictures yet, but the sling was made on a sewing machine. I made the pouch from a 7" section of 2"-wide nylon webbing and the strings from 1"nylon fishing tape (used to pull cable through conduit). Once sewn to the back of the pouch, I folded the tape in half and sewed it together to reduce air resistance.     I am impressed at how far some of the shots flew. So far i have tried overhead and underhand throwing. I grew up in near the ocean and we would cast hand lines off the jetties. The timing of release is very similar. Just an observation.  Looking forward to learning more about this ancient art and becoming proficient at it.

Do what you've always done and you'll get what you've always got."

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Re: Greetings from Phoenix AZ
Reply #1 - Jun 1st, 2007 at 11:54pm

Pleasure to have you!

Look forward to talking to you.

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #2 - Jun 2nd, 2007 at 12:36pm

Greetings and welcome!

Yes, hand-casting a fishing line ought to be just about the same motion as using a sling.  That's a new sport to go on our cross-training list, along with tennis, baseball, frisbee, hammer throw and golf.

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

AZtopstitcher
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

New River, AZ
Reply #3 - Jun 2nd, 2007 at 7:37pm

I am having more fun with this... Yesterday I made a second sling. This time used a couple of 1" D rings I had laying around the shop. Sewed them to the tapered and folded in ends of the webbing. This makes a very nice pouch. I think someone posted pics of a similar design in the gallery, so it's not exactly original. I think the articulating d rings could make for a cleaner release of the payload. For strings I used a smooth-surfaced jute twine coated with beeswax. It's made for tying springs in traditional furniture. (I have an upholstery shop).  Parachute chord might be better, but I don't have any around.

The next pouch will be "magnum" caliber, using 3.5" wide jute webbing. It should launch a baseball no problem.

Anyways, thanks for the welcome here. Going to take another look at some of the fancy braiding in the gallery. It must take a long time to learn that craft. Wink

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #4 - Jun 4th, 2007 at 10:42am

upholstery shop eh ?
I reckon you'd do well trading some of your fabric offcuts in the trading forum, sounds like you've got some interesting materials to play with :-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

AZtopstitcher
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

New River, AZ
Reply #5 - Jun 4th, 2007 at 12:39pm

[quote author=curious_aardvark link=1180713076/0#4 date=1180968124]upholstery shop eh ?
I reckon you'd do well trading some of your fabric offcuts in the trading forum, sounds like you've got some interesting materials to play with :-)
[/quote]

This thought  crossed my mind yesterday. I have a ton of fabric remnants. Have not seen much fabric used in photos here. I guess it could be good for pouches and bags.  I have some bronze colored, coated nylon remnants strong enough for making pouches and thin enough to make strings. Also have boxes and bags of leather scrap - mostly upholstery weight. And six full reels of 2" nylon webbing.  1 roll of jute 3.5" webbing....hey I going to paste this over to the trade section now!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, Rat Man, David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark)