Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
I am curious.... (Read 1863 times)
Loki
Ex Member

I am curious....
May 29th, 2007 at 2:30am

I was just wondering what muscles are used with each style of slinging. And if we know what muscles are used wouldnt it be possible to work those muscles to prevent injuries and improve performance over all?. Maybe I am just being overly technical. But what are everybodies thoughts on this subject?

Loki

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Re: I am curious....
Reply #1 - May 29th, 2007 at 2:36am

Makes perfect sense, Loki.

I'd look at baseball pitcher and tennis player's workout routines and make adjustments.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #2 - May 29th, 2007 at 6:12am

not sure about tennis and baseball. Tennis certainly is very different. Baseball is closer, but still the mechanics involved are quite different.

Not everybody uses their waist in slinging or legs.
Shoulders, forearms, wrists and elbows seem to take the most consistent battering from slinging. So anything tennis players and baseball players do to strengthen elbows would definitely be beneficial. As elbows are common injuries in both sports.

The best everyday thing would probably be a powerball.

So tint - elbows mate, what's good for strengthening  them, that doesn't involve a tennis racket ? (always ask a pro :-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

sv
Funditor

ireland
Reply #3 - May 29th, 2007 at 6:29am

slinging IS the workout - try to make a few casts, even feeble ones, with your non-slinging arm and you will see the difference. i warm up by swinging the empty sling, but the days of sore muscles are long past 

SV

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #4 - May 29th, 2007 at 8:31am

I wasn't very clear in my last post.  By pitcher and tennis players' routine, I ment the fitness excercises that they do (ie. weight training) to strengthen their body rather than the actual sport itself.

Elbows are tough.  Once you get hurt, it takes a long time to heal but at the same time strengthening is about puting stress in the area so that it will adapt.  Sportsmen over-train often, and create even more injuries.  So one needs to be careful.

To prevent injuries to the elbow, strengthening the forearm muscles is the key.  Holding a weighted bar (I use a baseball batt) in reverse grip and lift it from a stand up position so that the weighted side of the bar goes up and down from behind you.  This excercise is most popular amoung tennis players who have elbow problems.  15 reps is about ideal.

IP Logged

Loki
Ex Member

Reply #5 - May 29th, 2007 at 10:35am

I was noticing that unless you are using a straight arm technique the triceps and shoulders ghet used ALOT. And the abs are also brought in to turn into a throw. I would also like to avoid looking all huge and muscular on one side and weak on the other. LOL  Grin

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #6 - May 29th, 2007 at 12:40pm

lol I do the arm lifting thing with an 8lb log I keep in my workshop. Also holding the extreme end and then putting your arm out straight and either holding it for shoulders or lifting it vertical just using your wrist is good for both forearms and wrists. Though you probably want something a bit lighter. I've been using my log for years so am use to it. A baseball bat or something of that ilk would probably be better - cricket bat in england :-)
This is what I mean:-
[url]http://members.aol.com/curiousaardvark/loglift1.wmv[/url]
This sort of thing and powerballs are good as you can do them while you are watching telly.
Yep slinging is the best exercis for slinging - but if you can help yourself out at a tiume when you would ordinarily not be using your arms then that will definitely help as well :-)

And yes it does have eyes and I am holding it upside down in the video :-)

logeyes1.jpg (20 KB | )
logeyes1.jpg

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

sv
Funditor

ireland
Reply #7 - May 30th, 2007 at 7:40pm

Quote:
I would also like to avoid looking all huge and muscular on one side and weak on the other

i think you'll get away with it ha ha

http://zoo.zool.kyoto-u.ac.jp/ethol/mov/04/0402/momo040225ul01.mov

SV

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Kick, joe_meadmaker, Morphy, vetryan15, Rat Man, Chris)