Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
projectile on a string (Read 2454 times)
ArizonaSlinger

I love Slinging.org!

projectile on a string
May 24th, 2007 at 12:24am

When I was a kid some of the neighbor friends and I would amuse ourselves by throwing a sock with sand in it. We would fill the sock with sand such that the sand filled the "toe" area.  We would then swing the sock in an underhand motion with the axis of rotation being the shoulder and the elbow straight. It is only recently that I have realized that this is not too dissimilar from a sling. What if this concept can be improved upon? Perhaps it has. But I am not aware of it.  So I will propose it as if it were a new idea:

What if a projectile was attached to a string?  There would be no retention loop or retention string.  The projectile would be attached to a single strand of string. The string-projectile can be twirled and slung. The string would be released with the projectile. As the projectile flies through the air, the string would trail behind it.  The trailing string would stabilize the flight and would prevent the projectile from spinning in an errant manner thus preventing bad slices.

+-----------------------------O

ArizonaSlinger

IP Logged

Dravonk
Funditor

Aachen, Germany
Re: projectile on a string
Reply #1 - May 24th, 2007 at 4:59am

That is a Bola Perdida.

(According to the German article on it, it means "Lost Ball").

IP Logged

y0dsa
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

The Danelaw, UK
Reply #2 - May 24th, 2007 at 5:16am

The Bola Perdida is also known as a Crazy Ball - seefor example,  http://www.flight-toys.com/bolas.htm

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #3 - May 24th, 2007 at 6:26am

we all had those :-)
You can get similiar things for dogs to chase. And I used to put  atennis ball in a sock as a kid :-)

There is nothing new under the sun arizona slinger :-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Dravonk
Funditor

Aachen, Germany
Reply #4 - May 24th, 2007 at 12:49pm

I guess it is even older than slings. I imagine it being the ancestor of the sling. Some people might have bound string to weights for whatever reason, then they found out it can be used as a nice weapon to hit targets with (->meteor hammer, rope dart) or it can be thrown quite efficiently. But as they didn't like making a new string for each projectile they developed the sling. Just my guess.

IP Logged

neogeo
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Washington State, USA
Reply #5 - May 24th, 2007 at 7:02pm

The Ewoks use them in Return of the Jedi too. One hits himself thus displaying the virtue of tennis balls as ammo.  Grin

With a bacon and egg breakfast, the chicken is involved but the pig is committed.

IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #6 - May 24th, 2007 at 8:14pm

when i was younger we had fox tails that were used in the same manner.

there is also the french (?) arrow...it is a dart with  a string tied to the end with a heavy tip if i remember correctly.  it is thrown in the same manner as the fox tail or your sock toy.

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua
Interfector Viris Spurii

Matthew 11:25-30

Reply #7 - May 24th, 2007 at 8:14pm

I agree that they were probably precursors to the sling and fairly effective.   I plan on implementing the following device as part of my personal NEO mitigation strategy.

TS

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #8 - May 24th, 2007 at 9:22pm

siguy wrote on May 24th, 2007 at 8:14pm:
when i was younger we had fox tails that were used in the same manner.

there is also the french (?) arrow...it is a dart with  a string tied to the end with a heavy tip if i remember correctly.  it is thrown in the same manner as the fox tail or your sock toy.

Lawn Dart??? Shocked

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

Loki
Ex Member

Reply #9 - May 24th, 2007 at 9:50pm

I have used tohose for years, in fact that is what I train with while in the city most of the time. I use nylon line, one eigth of an inch, strung through a golf ball and I also use one with a tennis ball. They work really well for training.

Loki

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #10 - May 26th, 2007 at 3:12pm

http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1178760654
the rope dart we have a couple theads on it this being the latest

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Chris, Rat Man, Kick)