Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Come One Come All (Read 1298 times)
Gunsonwheels

Slinging Rocks!

Wyoming Shoshone River Valley
Come One Come All
May 22nd, 2007 at 5:14pm

We still have a number of various accommodations available...

IMG_0029a.JPG (94 KB | )
IMG_0029a.JPG

George N

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Re: Come One Come All
Reply #1 - May 23rd, 2007 at 7:49am

nice posters :-)

Point blank accuracy I can do, it's when the target leaves arms length I have problems :-)
Rapid casting eh ? rules me out.

But it's looking like a blast :-)

So what's this siege casting involve ?
Just height or height and distance - a minimum height and max distance ?

Very hard to practice when i'm not sure what I'm practicing for :-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Gunsonwheels

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #2 - May 23rd, 2007 at 11:04am

I'd have to defer to some of the members who have more historical knowledge for details but here is the scenario I concocted from what little slinging history I have read:

You are a slinger and part of an army approaching an enemy fortification... you (and your fellow slingers) are ordered to the forfront upon approaching the castle to be the primary "siege engine".  The enemy is clustered behind their walls and concentrated immediately behind them.  Your detailed instructions are to drop stones immediately behind the wall so they rain down upon the enemy soldiers.

At the slingfest we will use a section of a canal running across the back of the property... we will place two flags on the canal bank marking the extremitites of the "enemy fortification" (and possibly two yellow poly ropes across the surface of the canal to aid the score keepers).  Out of several to many casts (TBD), see how many you can splash in the water (the canal is 40-45 feet wide and represents, for this competition, the "clustering of the enemy soldiers").  The range is relatively extreme TBD) , the angle of the shots will need to be relatively high and the stones need to come down "upon the enemy" (splash in the water) in order to be scored as a "hit".   Just another shooting game...

I metioned in an earlier post about laying siege to a local house of ill repute in my mis-spent youth.  The target was a metal awning running along the "front" of the house's entrance.  After the law arrived I adjusted my fire to drop stones on the roof behind the awning... (farther away from our location) the roof was about 50-60 feet deep (an old commercial building on the main drag of an old gold mining town... the "house's" entrance was actually on the back of the building, on the top floor,  and we were about a block away and on up the side of the "gulch" on a hill overlooking it all.

I tried to find a similar setup (house of ill repute) but thought it better to stick to the canal out back.   Wink  Attached is a photo of the range and landing area (canal)  looking down on them from the bluff which is above and behind them both.  The "point blank" range will be in this same area with the targets just above the two small structures.  Our home is shown with the garage/guest quarters (bedroom, toilet & shower, and four bed "bunk-room") and "north shop" (the photo is facing North).  The camper and a small trailer also serve as additional sleeping areas.  The distance from the road (runs left to right, paved and "way out front") to the canal is about 1500 feet so we'll be able to make the "siege casting" distance as far as we want... (did I hear "length of someone's arm???)   Grin

IMG_0016_001.JPG (120 KB | )
IMG_0016_001.JPG

George N

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #3 - May 23rd, 2007 at 11:59am

Oh I can do that - I can hit a canal :-) Anything smaller is doubtful but that's my size of target :-)
For someone who practices on whole woodlands, a canal is just about right :-)
Going to have to figure either some way of measuring the height or insuring the missile has passed over a certain height though.  I suppose a rope between two poles with a net hung between might do.
It has to go over the net - if we used golf balls (should be recoverable from a canal) it wouldn't need to be a fine mesh net.

Say a 10 - 20 metre section of hung netting. Dunno about height. But it's a thought anyway :-)
Any fish in the canal ? I know I asked before but can't remember the answer :-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

fogish

Slinging?!

Oregon, USA
Reply #4 - May 24th, 2007 at 11:56am

This is going to be fantastic, if you make this too extravagant it may have to be an annual thing at your place. How deep is the canal? 45 feet wide might give it a pretty strong current, but if it's not too bad I can bring some of my freediving gear and grab golf balls or CA if he gets too rowdy.  Tongue

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #5 - May 26th, 2007 at 3:15pm

wow! being a south west nebraska boy. that pic makes me more than a bit home sick

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

Gunsonwheels

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6 - May 27th, 2007 at 12:21am

When they shut it off our first year I saw quite a few fish in the pools left over... fisher-type birds were sitting on the banks waiting their chance... nothing in the last couple years though...
Golf balls would be recoverable after shutoff in the fall (a couple weeks after we meet) so it's good... I just got a gross and a half...  maybe that's ONLY a good start   Smiley
Don't recommend getting in that water during the season though.. some have tried and some have died...   Sad
Siege casting doesn't require a height except as a NECESSARY component of the distance.  We will have a 20 x 30 foot canopy for shade and shelter and the PB targets will be located between that and the canal...  the siege firing line will be behind both of those (i.e. they will be between the siege firing line and the canal... you will have to elevate to clear the "obstructions" as well as to get the necessary carry to even reach the canal...  this all makes it more interesting as dropping the rock down at the moment the canal occurs (45' distance) becomes harder than it might first appear... but maybe we should move up closer and establish such an arbitrary height for the flight path as an alternative to the above...???   We can do both if we don't run out of balls...

George N

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #7 - May 28th, 2007 at 7:17am

[quote]Siege casting doesn't require a height except as a NECESSARY component of the distance[/quote]

Just thought if we were shooting over a keep wall - it'd need to be a certain height :-)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Kick, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, Chris, Morphy, Rat Man)