Send Topic Print
flying targets (Read 2015 times)
sv
Funditor

ireland
flying targets
May 22nd, 2007 at 2:03pm

here's a link to the best ever target

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=4566...

welcome to fortress europe - aka prison planet

SV

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Re: flying targets
Reply #1 - May 22nd, 2007 at 3:04pm

And I thought it was getting bad here, with cameras at controlled intersections to catch those that scoot through while the light turns red.

Only trouble with taking one of those down, is that it would take so many tries that they could paint a portrait of me, not just take a photo.

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

funda_iucunda

Watt den een sin Uhl is
den annern sin Nachtigal.

Germany (north of Hamburg)
Reply #2 - May 22nd, 2007 at 3:41pm

On flying objects I would try a bola. With a little skill it should be possible to hit them. These machines are the real outcome of our developing "Brave New world" à la Orwell. But when a couple of months later some terrorists copy these machines for their own purposes then all politicians are surprised. Angry

funda iucunda

IP Logged

Gunsonwheels

Slinging Rocks!

Wyoming Shoshone River Valley
Reply #3 - May 22nd, 2007 at 3:44pm

Wrong strategy...  whip a steelie at it before they can pan their camera your way... maybe you'll get lucky...  don't want to belabor the David and Goliath thing but have a little faith baby...   Wink

George N

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #4 - May 23rd, 2007 at 8:04am

nice airgun target :-)

sling might be a little obvious.

But it's actually a really good idea. Police helicopters are deployed on everything from muggings to burglaries to kids riding motorbikes on footpaths. And they cost the tax payer thousands each time they take flight. If this bit of kit helps catch the scum, and saves money doing it I'm all for it :-)

If one helped catch the bastar-d who'd just mugged your mother - would you object ?
:-)

But yeah I can see them having a very short shelf life - don't forget slingshots are very legal in the uk and the ball bearing ammo is very easy to buy. And they don't look armoured.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

sv
Funditor

ireland
Reply #5 - May 24th, 2007 at 2:44am

c_a, i would agree that helicopters are an unnecessary waste of money, as a fixed-wing aircraft is equally good

as far as the flying drone is concerned:-

Quote:
Merseyside Police are boasting about their latest toy to combat crime and anti-social behaviour. The force plan to trial a small model helicopter next month to help monitor sporting events, parks and open spaces and deal with serious incidents. The micro-drone can fly at heights in excess of 500m (1640ft) and is equipped with camera and video equipment.

Assistant Chief Constable Simon Byrne says that:

"We're always looking at ways of putting more officers on the streets, and maximising technology is a powerful way of achieving this. Our drone will be used primarily to support our anti-social behaviour taskforce AXIS, in gathering all important evidence to put offenders before the courts.

"Other uses may include monitoring public disorder, crowd control during large scale events, and use during traffic congestion. We're also looking at its potential during firearm operations. For us, this is a cost-effective way of helping to catch criminals and supports similar technology we're already using in our vans and helicopter."

Have the Merseyside cops been conned by smooth talking gadget salesmen? Anyone who has ever piloted a remote control craft will know that communications kit can fail, motors can stop, rotor blades do come off and pilots do get disorientated. While we await the first case of compensation by concert goers in Liverpool or punters at Aintree racecourse for serious injury by a falling drone, Britain’s sky guardians might be interested in the use of a remote helicopter above the people of Merseyside.

The force’s planned use of the drone may actually be illegal; the flying of any craft over a crowd and at heights exceeding 400ft in built up areas would certainly break the rules established by the Civil Aviation Authority.

With the onset of sunny weather and young ladies sunning themselves in parks, gardens and beaches around Merseyside the micro-drone is a voyeur’s dream, although the operators of the device would never tolerate such action, in the same way private security firms who run many of Britain’s CCTV spy cameras in shopping malls and town centres would never tolerate any abuse of their equipment – yeah right!

New ways of dealing with crime are often being sought as an excuse for not dealing with the tried and trusted method of dealing with crime – having experienced officers on the streets!

thie above quote is from the BNP (British National Party)

SV

IP Logged

Dravonk
Funditor

Aachen, Germany
Reply #6 - May 24th, 2007 at 5:37am

The crime rate is dropping (at least in Germany) and still a mood is created where we all feel more and more threatened. And then they buy high-tech stuff that makes us getting used to constant surveillance.

As far as I heard it would be legal for everybody to own and use one of these in Germany.

Curious Aardvark wrote on May 23rd, 2007 at 8:04am:
And they cost the tax payer thousands each time they take flight.

They cost thousands each time you buy them. After that you only have to reload the batteries.

Curious Aardvark wrote on May 23rd, 2007 at 8:04am:
But yeah I can see them having a very short shelf life - don't forget slingshots are very legal in the uk and the ball bearing ammo is very easy to buy. And they don't look armoured.

According to the article they are supposed to work in military conditions. They say you can even blow away a rotor and it still should be able to fly back. I don't know how hard it is to hit it. Though a shotgun should do the trick. But you would first have to notice the helicopther.

sv wrote on May 24th, 2007 at 2:44am:
c_a, i would agree that helicopters are an unnecessary waste of money, as a fixed-wing aircraft is equally good

A fixed-wing aircraft has a higher range but it is a lot harder to consistantly monitor a fixed point. (You would have to fly circles around it).

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #7 - May 24th, 2007 at 6:24am

dravonk most of what you've quoted of mine was about helicopters the police currently use, not the new toys :-)
A helicopter costs thousands just to send up after kid on a motorbike - read my post again, I'm in favour of the new things :-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Dravonk
Funditor

Aachen, Germany
Reply #8 - May 24th, 2007 at 12:45pm

[quote author=curious_aardvark link=1179857026/0#7 date=1180002255]dravonk most of what you've quoted of mine was about helicopters the police currently use, not the new toys :-)
A helicopter costs thousands just to send up after kid on a motorbike - read my post again, I'm in favour of the new things :-)[/quote]
Oops, I didn't get that. They send manned helicopters after kids on motorbikes?! I have never seen a police helicopter yet. I guess they are only used here in extreme cases. (Although some politicians debated over whether to use them against graffiti sprayers...yeah, sure.)

(PS: Shouldn't this thread be in the other topics section?)

IP Logged

funda_iucunda

Watt den een sin Uhl is

Reply #9 - May 24th, 2007 at 4:57pm

Kids on motorbikes might be dangerous. But the police helicopter chasing them is not available for avoiding real crime at that moment. In my opinion it's a wrong allocation of public money. I made the sad experience that speed control normally is set only at places where it makes money but not at there where it would be really necessary to avoid bloody accidents. Even if we would renounce from all of our privacy and freedom in favour of high tech control (I myself won't agree to that) we should at least demand effective security instead of expensive toys for police men.

funda iucunda

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #10 - May 25th, 2007 at 12:34am

Put some guns on thoses babies then you'll have a real crime stopper!!! Roll Eyes             OR A LASER!! YEAH THAT"S THE TICKET!!!!!  Hey Techstuff check this out, laser equiped spy helicopters!!!!!!! Roll Eyes Didn't I see something like that in Terminator 2/3?

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #11 - May 25th, 2007 at 4:41am

[quote]In my opinion it's a wrong allocation of public money[/quote]
My point exactly, the new things are a good idea.

Not sure about guns (this being england lol) but they could probably equip them with indelible dye bombs or paintball guns with same in them. Now that would be fun :-)

Mind you the police have now been officially issued with tasers, so maybe an ionisation laser/taser setup could be fitted.

IP Logged

funda_iucunda

Watt den een sin Uhl is

Reply #12 - May 25th, 2007 at 3:19pm

Even more simple and fantastic: give each of them a towel and send them up hitch hiking. Today!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Kick, Chris, Morphy, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker)