Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Chinese slingers?? (Read 21053 times)
happy dragon
Tiro

Punk Rock Slinger

Chinese slingers??
May 22nd, 2007 at 6:40am

I have been searching around and have not managed to find any info on the use of the sling by the Chinese. As I'm sure many of you are aware the Chinese people have throughout their colorful history, made use of everything and anything as an effective weapon and so I find it rather surprizing that there is no mention of it. (taking into account of course my horrendous pc skills)
Does anyone have any info on the subject of..sling fu?? Smiley

IP Logged

funda_iucunda

Watt den een sin Uhl is
den annern sin Nachtigal.

Germany (north of Hamburg)
Re: Chinese slingers??
Reply #1 - May 22nd, 2007 at 3:26pm

Many weapons have been used and invented throughout Chinese history. It would be somehow natural that slings where in use.
Maybe Tint has some information about slinging in Chinese history.

funda iucunda

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #2 - May 23rd, 2007 at 11:50am

Considering the fact that the Chinese came up with the concept of the Trebuchet, I would say they had to have knowledge of the sling. As far as I know ( feel free to correct) while the Europeans had knowledge of the torsion catapult, (onanger) they found the trebuchet during the 1st Crusade.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #3 - May 23rd, 2007 at 12:26pm

Slings were used in Tibet.  But the main part of China have no record of it ever being in use.  There isn't even a proper word for the sling in the language.  One reason  may be due to the early invention of crossbows.

So as far as I know, I am the first Chinese slinger! (probably not! Tongue)

IP Logged

LKH9
Funditor

Malaysia
Reply #4 - May 23rd, 2007 at 11:09pm

I think, the sling is almost an alien to the chinese. Chinese rarely know what it is....

I feel upset when I watch dramas/movies about chinesebattles. A group of slingers can do some serious damage to the troops, if the chinese know what the sling is back then. Poor peasants could have easily become a killer with those things. Why didn't they use it? Tongue

So, I guess it was totally forgotten becasue of the bow and arrow. Roll Eyes

IP Logged

funda_iucunda

Watt den een sin Uhl is

Reply #5 - May 24th, 2007 at 5:05pm

Korfmanns thesis concerning the south west Asian history was that in early times the use of the bow excluded the use of the sling and vice versa. May be that China is a proves that idea though it was not in the focus of Korfmann.

funda iucunda

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #6 - Jun 22nd, 2007 at 9:39am

[quote]Poor peasants could have easily become a killer with those things. Why didn't they use it? 
[/quote]
you've answered your own question.
It was probably a proscribed weapon, use, manufacture or explaining punishable by death.

Try and put things into context, ancient chinese (actually not that ancient) society was totally stratified. peasants (essentially owned things) and not peasants.
Somewhat like the japanese and europaen model killing peasants was not a crime as such - unless you were a peasant.

It's why a lot of the chinese martial arts use farming implements as weapons, you did not have to hide your weapon.

But slings in the hands of peasants - that would have been a village massacre every time. Eventually the idea dies so the peasants might live and they find other things to use that have legitimate alternate uses.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

funda_iucunda

Watt den een sin Uhl is

Reply #7 - Jun 23rd, 2007 at 1:40pm

The illegality of slings would not be sufficient to explain why there is no slingingtradition in China. If it is legal to kill peasants it would have been no escape for the peasants not to have slings. And against noble men (or others) a resistance by use of farming implements would have been no real excuse ("Believe me, I just pierced him with the fork but not with a sword...!"). Besides that is the sling a normal tool for shepherds. It would not have been unusual to be seen with a sling, at least in regions where cattle is guardes by shepherds.

I think that it is rather a question of cultural tradition. As we know it from Europe there are countries which have a slinging tradition as for example Spain or which do not have as Germany.

funda iucunda

IP Logged

Dravonk
Funditor

Aachen, Germany
Reply #8 - Jun 25th, 2007 at 6:42am

During some time all weapons were banned on Okinawa and that led to the development of karate and a lot of farming weapons. I guess the main point was they were "concealable". It was expected that a farmer had those tools, so he could handle them all the time. Swords and knifes were simply not accessible. (I have read there was one knife per village in Okinawa, bound and watched at the center). Of course slings are easily accessible and concealable, but can you do daily training with it when it is illegal? It is hard to do that indoors.

For the situation in Germany I guess that slings just weren't effective in the woods that covered Germany. In fact, it is very dangerous. I already had stones flying back at me because I accidently hit a tree.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #9 - Jun 25th, 2007 at 7:11am

actually it's all much simpler.
The chinese had repeating crossbows in 200 bc.
Basically they were just too technologically advanced to bother with slings much in the last couple of thousand years :-)
And you really are underestimating the worthlessness of peasants. Also the peasant mindset was such that they accepted this. Rebellion was very rare in chinese history and always treated with amazing ruthlessness.

It's difficult for westerners to get their heads round the whole chinese social setup. Also bear in mind it ran almost unchanged for longer than any other soceity in world history.

But basically it's probably just that they outgrew slings long before the majority of our ancestors had even bothered to start digging holes to crap in.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Dravonk
Funditor

Aachen, Germany
Reply #10 - Jun 25th, 2007 at 7:23am

[quote author=curious_aardvark link=1179830423/0#9 date=1182769866]The chinese had repeating crossbows in 200 bc.
Basically they were just too technologically advanced to bother with slings much in the last couple of thousand years :-)[/quote]
Is a repeating crossbow comparable to a sling? The crossbow would have to be placed on a pole in order to operate the lever and the single shots would be rather weak with a low range. As an ultra-light weapon that can be carried everywhere the sling is still superior. And the sling has a higher range.

IP Logged

smgjerald
Descens

Ancient weaponry rules:-)

Redneck country,Norway:-D
Reply #11 - Jul 10th, 2007 at 6:45pm

The repeating crossbow was handheld and was not very accurate but..and there is a big but here:they were poisontipped and were apparently very feared.

also thinking about their neighbouring tribes(most noteably the mongols,as it is them I know something about:-) would slings be effective considering their hit & run tactics?mongols massacred half of europe even the swedish and german knights who were reportedly econsidered elite forces of their time.
Didn´t seem to matter if they had slings or not though, since they defeated the chinese armies in short order Roll Eyes

repeater.GIF (26 KB | )
repeater.GIF

"What the hell are you doing now?"my dad everytime he came home and witnessed my siege weapon projects,the most patient man who ever lived:-)
smgjerald  
IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Jul 17th, 2007 at 3:50am

Quote:
Try and put things into context, ancient chinese (actually not that ancient) society was totally stratified. peasants (essentially owned things) and not peasants. 
Somewhat like the japanese and europaen model killing peasants was not a crime as such - unless you were a peasant. 
Killing nongmin has always been a crime, unless you were the emperor.  And Chinese society wasn't that stratified - there were a few peasants who became emperors and founded dynasties (notably, Song and Ming dynasties were founded by peasants), and technically, the civil examinations were open to anyone remotely educated, so even peasants could enter and move up a notch.  Chinese society was divided into SPAM - scholars, peasants, artisans and merchants.  Scholars were the highest, peasants were considered second because of their inherent importance, artisans were next because they were skilled and at least they weren't the dreaded merchants, who tried to make money, a very un-Confucian idea.  But it could and did move around.
  The reasons slings would not be used is because, as Tint says, crossbows were developed early on (maybe even as early as 1000BCE), and Chinese farming is not about shepherding or big herds.  Growing crops and keeping pigs are the traditional Han things to do.  And since one major use of the sling and good reason to practise it during peacetime is to keep predators away from flocks and the herded animals in line, slings would have become a bit of a redundant weapon, and lack of practise would cause it to be neglected.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #13 - Jul 17th, 2007 at 3:43pm

plus they'd already eaten all the predators :-)

And it was me mentioned the crossbows ;-)

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Jul 17th, 2007 at 5:35pm

Tint mentioned them in his post, fourth down.

Actually, China used to have a lot of predators, and now they've mostly been (you're right) eaten or used as medicine.  Tigers, leopards, bears, wolves, Mongolians...

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, Rat Man, David Morningstar)