Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Chinese slingers?? (Read 21131 times)
english
Ex Member

Re: Chinese slingers??
Reply #45 - Jul 20th, 2007 at 9:18am

Quote:
What does ganja do, get you high and gives you the munchies, and it's effects can be permanent for those who abuse it. it's widely documented that prolonged use marijuana can depress the CNS thus making you SLOW  Shocked even if you stop using, so once the damage is done, thats it.
Abusing alcohol is much worse than abusing weed, and unlike with weed, you can actually OD on it, and get addicted to it.  It can make you slow, but only if you abuse it, and the whole "marijuana psychosis" thing is an effect that is much worse if you drink to excess.  I don't smoke it, and I don't intend to (except when I'm about 80 - then I'll start doing everything under the sun just to see what it's like before I pop my clogs), but it shouldn't be illegal, just as kava shouldn't be illegal.  It's a very hypocritical system we have in western countries.  Legalise the lot, I say, and get taxes from the drugs - and more importantly, educate people about the real risks and not invented ones, so that they can make a reasoned choice.

Quote:
the dampener for me is that you cant use your legs especially when they are so versatile at tripping, trapping and snaring your oponent.
Using the legs in a throw is great fun as well.  There's a technique in shuaijiao called the "rowing hook" (huagou, I think, but I'm not sure of the exact Chinese) where you hook your leg in front of the opponent's leg, and just as he thinks you're going to trip him back, you loop your foot around the back of his ankle and flip his leg forward.  But there's no groundwork in shuaijiao, unlike judo.

IP Logged

_kava_

Sling making fanatic ;)

Australia
Reply #46 - Jul 20th, 2007 at 10:50am

hmmm well yes I agree with what your saying, and I am pro chioice on most things. but I find it laughable that a country can legalise weed, but ban Kava as it would be in my opinion the lesser of two evils.

illegal drugs are deemed so because it is acknowledged that they can and do possess a threat to those who use them and others in the community in which the user resides. Alcohol is legal so most people have easy access to it and that is why it is easier to abuse. sure dude, legalise illegal drugs and collect the taxes, but do you want to deal with the raft of social issues that come along with doing so.
my guess would be no.

Kava isn't an illegal substance and has been used by communities in the south seas since they first populated the islands there. don't want those who read this and don't know about kava to think I'm some sort of druggo Wink

what is shuajiao, is it a hybrid or an ancient form of gung fu? the move you describe could it be the common 'ankle tap'. man, I love that move, it's so simple.
the thing about throwing people always comes back to balance, you gotta break their centre balance,only then can they be thrown (exluding brute force or weight - both of which can help)

at the risk of soundin' like a newbie, how do you get quotes to show up in blocks like in your posts, I've looked everywhere for the magic button but can't seem to find it Huh

but umm yeah, drugs are bad, don't do 'em (unless the doctor tells you to)  Smiley

Kava_Fiend

_Orta recens quam pura nites_

some people are like Slinkies
     not really good for anything
        but they still bring a smile to your face
           when you push them down a flight of stairs

www.youtube.com/user/NoturnoNativa

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #47 - Jul 20th, 2007 at 12:52pm

The quote button is the one with a page with a blue arrow pointing to the right, just next to the typewriter and the hash.

Shuaijiao is the oldest Chinese martial art, and the origin of pretty much all Chinese systems, even the predominantly striking ones.  It's basically Chinese wrestling, and there are a few different styles styles.  Mongolian wrestling is a relative of shuaijiao, and they developed together - the Mongol or other nomad styles probably influenced shuaijiao more than the other way, but there are a lot of training methods in shuaijiao which are unique (equipment training, mostly).  I think that the nomad styles had more influence, because shuaijiao is almost exclusively a northern style, and there are few southern shuaijiao teachers.   Shuaijiao is almost certainly the origin of sumo (Chinese is "xiangpu", which in the Tang dynasty, the time of most Chinese influence on Japan, was the name of shuaijiao), and probably the origin of the oldest organised forms of jujutsu, but obviously once it reached Japan, it became very much a Japanese thing, and jujutsu developed pretty much independently.
  And shuaijiao is an element in all Chinese martial arts as well as a separate system.  It's just the throwing side. You could study, say, taijiquan, and then enter a shuaijiao tournament, so long as you know the rules and train hard.

"Ankle tap" could be the name of it.  I love all the leg hooking techniques.

It really is difficult to think of a reason why pot would be legal but not kava.  Pot is definitely a stronger drug with more obvious effects.

IP Logged

smgjerald
Descens

Ancient weaponry rules:-)

Redneck country,Norway:-D
Reply #48 - Jul 20th, 2007 at 1:01pm

we trained in "illegal" tecniques when I started wrestling,we were strictly told we could never use it,but was important to train balance.
Many of the trows in wrestling utilizes the opponents bodyweight and/or momentum,but a few requires brute strength(look at russian wrestling legend Karelin,he manhandled everybody!)
Have done alot of martial arts,started Tae Kwon Do at age 6,and did that for about 12 years.done Kickboxing,Greco-roman wrestling,pro-wrestling and a little shootfighting awhile back but my shoulder couldn´t take it..started Pro-wrestling when I was 22,and used alot of my martial arts background.

What can I say,I was a energetic kid,and my parents needed to make me blow off some steam.
What I have observed is the similarities between all forms of martial arts,many of the same throws are utilized.Even in TKD,especially the original Tkd, not the pure competitive sports version wich is popular these days.

"What the hell are you doing now?"my dad everytime he came home and witnessed my siege weapon projects,the most patient man who ever lived:-)
smgjerald  
IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #49 - Jul 20th, 2007 at 1:42pm

Quote:
many of the same throws are utilized.
Definitely.  Shuaijiao has similar throws to judo, which are similar to ones in many European wrestling styles, and even African styles.  I know that looking at the Beni Hasan images (the oldest martial arts images in the entire world, from Egypt), I can see many techniques that I recognise.  The main differences between styles are 1) training methods and 2) body mechanics.  For instance, shuaijiao has a lot of equipment training - wooden clubs, braided ropes, weighted ropes (or, nowadays, elastic ropes), bundles of canes - which are not found in judo.  And doing a basic over the shoulder throw in judo is not the same as in shuaijiao - in which you use a powerful, explosion upwards at the hips.

The only other martial arts I've ever done are judo, when I was about 7, muay thai for a very short while (gym was too far away), taijiquan, and now, Brazilian jiu jitsu, Sanshou kickboxing and Shuaijiao.  Sanshou (or sanda) is a set of rules for kickboxing in China, where throws are legal, but no groundwork.  You could use any technique you want so long as its in the rules, and it's pretty exciting to watch.

IP Logged

_kava_

Sling making fanatic ;)

Australia
Reply #50 - Jul 21st, 2007 at 3:12am

Quote:
The quote button is the one with a page with a blue arrow pointing to the right, just next to the typewriter and the hash.

thanks for that english, I must be goin' blind. Grin

it is interesting that you say that a basic over the shoulder throw in judo would be different from Shuaijiao, because the throw you described with the 'explosiveness from the hips' is also used in judo.
what I have discovered in training in martial arts namely judo, TKD, boxing, karate and the list goes on, is that all the techniques are just variations on a theme - there are only so many ways to hit, kick, throw and grapple your oponent.

just gotta be able to strike hard and fast.

kava_fiend

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #51 - Jul 21st, 2007 at 5:07am

Quote:
it is interesting that you say that a basic over the shoulder throw in judo would be different from Shuaijiao, because the throw you described with the 'explosiveness from the hips' is also used in judo.
what I have discovered in training in martial arts namely judo, TKD, boxing, karate and the list goes on, is that all the techniques are just variations on a theme - there are only so many ways to hit, kick, throw and grapple your oponent.
The power in a boxing punch, a Jeet Kune Do punch, and a taijiquan punch, are all different.  The basic ideas are the same - using as much of the body as possible in an explosive  movement - but they all carry it out differently.  There are only so many ways to hit and throw, but the training for them and the precise body mechanics are different, like the difference between a muay thai roundhouse kick and a TKD roundhouse kick, and the difference between the shuaijiao throw and the judo throw. I consulted my brother - we threw each other (he's a judoka), and his throw was much smoother than mine and there was no jump with the feet as he threw, but just a subtle push upwards.  It's the little things.  The throw is essentially the same, though.

If you're interested in seeing some shuaijiao, you can see it on Youtube.  Some pretty cool videos up about techniques, showing competitions, etc.  An alternative, older spelling is "shuai chiao".

IP Logged

LKH9
Funditor

Malaysia
Reply #52 - Jul 21st, 2007 at 11:41pm

If I did not make any mistakes, 'shuai jiao' directly means wrestling. Roll Eyes

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #53 - Jul 22nd, 2007 at 4:41am

Yes, it does - Brazilian Jiu Jitsu in Chinese is just Baxi Shuaijiao, Brazilian wrestling.  But even in China, people say "shuaijiao" when they mean "zhongguo shuaijiao", and sometimes they just say the exact style - like Baoding Kuaijiao (Baoding style fast wrestling), Tianjian Guanjiao (Tianjin style wrestling), that kind of thing.  When speaking in English, it's fine just to call it shuaijiao normally.

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #54 - Jul 24th, 2007 at 2:27am

Quote:
smgjerald,

Kava, tribal stuff? well maybe; it is used by the Islander peoples of the south pacific and I imagine many of them live traditional tribal lives.

Kava isn't actually alcohol. It's a plant / herb. you mention Absynth (Kylie Minogue is one hot green faerie  Smiley) which tastes like licorice / aniseed. umm, I can't really describe the taste of Kava as after about, four or five drinks Kava makes your lips and tongue go numb, it's a cool sensation though. However it does smell the same as nutmeg.

I think I read somwhere that Kava is illegal in scandinavia. I'm pretty sure that it is illegal in germany.

If you ever do get the chance try it,by all means do, you wont be dissapointed.

Kava_Fiend

Tastes like mud. Tongue

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

_kava_

Sling making fanatic ;)

Australia
Reply #55 - Jul 24th, 2007 at 5:10am

english,
checked out shuai jiao on youtube, I was quite impressed with the skills shown, reminded me of my judo days.

Quote:
Tastes like mud.  Tongue
- bigkahuna

well, it does come from the roots of the plant, so it probably does taste a bit 'earthy' and it also looks like dishwater, or so some of my friends say.

I havn't tasted mud, but I'm sorry, I will have to disagree with you on that one. there are two different types of Kava, Waka and Lawenna and each has it's own flavour. I always found the taste and smell similar to nutmeg.
still, it's not for everyone, I guess.

Kava_Fiend

IP Logged

Trebuchet
Descens

Ave, Caesar! Baliares
te salutimus!

Montgomery, AL
Reply #56 - Oct 3rd, 2007 at 9:26pm

happy dragon wrote on May 22nd, 2007 at 6:40am:
I have been searching around and have not managed to find any info on the use of the sling by the Chinese. As I'm sure many of you are aware the Chinese people have throughout their colorful history, made use of everything and anything as an effective weapon and so I find it rather surprizing that there is no mention of it. (taking into account of course my horrendous pc skills)
Does anyone have any info on the subject of..sling fu?? Smiley

The answer is simple, Grasshopper.  The inscrutable Chinese were too busy grooming actors for the many Kung Fu movies they would make in future years, and preparing David Carradine for his role in the TV series “Kung Fu.”

Shao-lin Temple Boxing took lots of time, and memorizing the sayings of the venerable Confucius occupied the rest.

Very simple, Locust … I mean, Grasshopper.

Trebuchet
Cool

Go tell the Spartans, stranger passing by, that here, obedient to their law we lie.&&&&

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, David Morningstar, Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark)