Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Clang, Clunk and Whiff. (Read 984 times)
Gunsonwheels

Slinging Rocks!

Wyoming Shoshone River Valley
Clang, Clunk and Whiff.
May 22nd, 2007 at 1:10am

Been looking at the Balaeric target some more... has anyone looked at one of these up close and personal?  It is what I call an excellent "diffinitive" target... i.e. you get immediate auditory feedback of your throw... either a clang (hit of the steel center) or a clunk (a hit on the wood) or a whiff (nothing) which is a miss.  Is there seperation of the steel center from the plywood and is the steel prepped to ring?  Do they put a hole in the wood with the steel behind the hole or is it simply attached to the front of the wood?  We will have Balaeric targets at the Slingfest in Wyoming in September and we will have a session of engaging those targets at the specified ranges... and we will report how everyone did... (well... I'll post mine anyway... Vincente says only ten shots...  hope I can at least hit wood   Undecided)

Got 18 dozen golf balls delivered today... we'll definately have a GB ammo event or two   Smiley

George N

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Re: Clang, Clunk and Whiff.
Reply #1 - May 22nd, 2007 at 11:43am

lol oh no everyone who takes part will be logged - if just to see how awful we all are :-)

I am truly bad at aiming for specific targets. I'm hoping consistent ammo might help - but don't hold out much hope :-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

sv
Funditor

ireland
Reply #2 - May 22nd, 2007 at 1:57pm

the iron disc has a big bolt welded to the back which goes through the wood. it's held a little diatance off the wooden bit, so that it rings when hit

SV

IP Logged

Gunsonwheels

Slinging Rocks!

Wyoming Shoshone River Valley
Reply #3 - May 22nd, 2007 at 5:21pm

Thanks sv...

The stud out the back is easy and we'll put a couple felt pads behind it glued to the wood so the damping effect of touching the wood is lessened (better ringing)... also drill a hole just below the stud and cut a slit from the bottom into the hole (tuning fork effect).

Thanks again

George N

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #4 - May 23rd, 2007 at 7:45am

can you make them a lot  bigger ?
That way I might not miss. ;-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Morphy, Kick, Chris)