Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Painful effects of slinging (Read 2704 times)
Ethan
Funditor

so much depends upon a
red wheelbarrow...

On the edge of a lake...
Painful effects of slinging
May 21st, 2007 at 10:58pm

Has anyone ever hit themselves with their own sling/projectile? I remember a while ago when I was beginning to sling, and I was on a railroad track slinging bits of rock. I really whirled one of them and was about to send it to the heavens when I cracked myself in the skull. I was on the ground and bled slightly, and had a huge lump for over a week.
Has anyone else injured themselves with their own sling? How about hitting yourself with the projectile, accidentally hurled vertically?
Or am I the only one with such poor luck and beginner skills?

"Young men go to war. Sometimes because they have to, sometimes because they want to. Always, they feel they are supposed to. This comes from the sad, layered stories of life, which over the centuries have seen courage confused with picking up arms, and cowardice confused with putting them down."&&--Mitch Albom, The Five People you meet in Heaven
WWW Ethan Sithapprentice21  
IP Logged

Gunsonwheels

Slinging Rocks!

Wyoming Shoshone River Valley
Re: Painful effects of slinging
Reply #1 - May 21st, 2007 at 11:15pm

In the mid eighties when I was trying to learn the figure eight I whacked myself quite a few times.  I think that was why I like my side arm variant better... less painful   Cry

Considering I started throwing in the fifties... ah... gee... who can remember...??? Undecided

George N

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #2 - May 22nd, 2007 at 12:48am

Not too long after I joined this forum, figuring out the figure-8 became all the rage here.  Not a few of us whacked ourselves.  It was a running not-quite-joke that the figure-8 style was not compatible with children.  Especially if said children were not yet conceived.

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

Gunsonwheels

Slinging Rocks!

Wyoming Shoshone River Valley
Reply #3 - May 22nd, 2007 at 12:52am

After a recent head bashing at a slinging class (from an inexperienced helicopter) I came to the conclusion the helicopter is well suited to killing others (i.e. "friendly fire") and the figure eight is well suited for killing yourself...   Roll Eyes

George N

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #4 - May 22nd, 2007 at 2:30am

I have hit myself on the left ankle/shin a few times with the fig 8 when the cords got tangled and the rock stayed in the pocket.  Luckily, they were not full power shots and I did n't hurt myself that badly.  I could easily have broken bones otherwise.

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #5 - May 22nd, 2007 at 3:42am

Ethan wrote on May 21st, 2007 at 10:58pm:
Has anyone ever hit themselves with their own sling/projectile? I remember a while ago when I was beginning to sling, and I was on a railroad track slinging bits of rock. I really whirled one of them and was about to send it to the heavens when I cracked myself in the skull. I was on the ground and bled slightly, and had a huge lump for over a week.
Has anyone else injured themselves with their own sling? How about hitting yourself with the projectile, accidentally hurled vertically?
Or am I the only one with such poor luck and beginner skills?

You are definitely NOT the only one to have hurt himself with his own sling! Sending rocks skyward happens to everyone at some time or other, especially if using underarm styles. Railroad ballast stones are just about the worst you can get too. They are usually crushed rock, all sharp irregular angles, which tends to hang up in the pouch giving a very uncertain release.

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

Dravonk
Funditor

Aachen, Germany
Reply #6 - May 22nd, 2007 at 5:49am

Fig-8 with a sharp stone to the forehead. Just bled a bit. The first thing I did after it happened was throwing some more fig-8s.

IP Logged

sv
Funditor

ireland
Reply #7 - May 22nd, 2007 at 6:18am

i hit myself on the head with an empty pouch when practising the fig 8 moves - damage was restricted to spectacles
the fig 8 sequence is maybe too complex to master safely, unless using soft ammo.  it's the common theme for self-inflicted injury so far

SV

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #8 - May 22nd, 2007 at 6:29am

when I first started I managed to bounce stones of my right leg a few times. And these days I can occasionally hit my slinging hand with the sling, just have to remember to keep the fingers close together :-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Reply #9 - May 22nd, 2007 at 9:39am

It happenend a few times to me, that I was hit by shatters of the stones. I sling on quite stony ground and if I shoot to early with an underarm style, the rock hits the ground right before me. No serious injuries, but it hurts. Once I nearly dislocated my arm because a stone didn't go out of the pocket. Got a nice sore arm.

IP Logged

Æthelbera
Interfector Viris Spurii

Resident Cavegirl

grieving- august 13th/09 :(
Reply #10 - May 22nd, 2007 at 11:43am

Anything "painful" is just a learning experience.

...&&Each all must his end abide. august 13th, rip Sad&&Varje man är sin egen konung.
WWW Æthelbera  
IP Logged

Lathron
Ex Member

Reply #11 - May 22nd, 2007 at 2:07pm

i never hit myself, but when I give it to my friends to try it, actually they usually do. hit themselves, not me Cheesy

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #12 - May 24th, 2007 at 6:07pm

Quote:
Anything "painful" is just a learning experience.

every body remember that next group outing Bjärn come to lol
« Last Edit: May 25th, 2007 at 3:37pm by lobohunter »  
Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #13 - May 25th, 2007 at 12:25am

Wear armor!!!!!!!!! Grin

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

wannabeslinger
Ex Member

Reply #14 - May 25th, 2007 at 3:06pm

i had a stone slip out of the pouch and i covered my head just in time, so it hit me on the forearm lol

ive been trying to get speed with the figure 8 but seems stupid to have something slinging two inches from your face lol

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Chris, joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark, Kick, Morphy, Rat Man)