Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Tennis Ball Lifespan (Read 3733 times)
Gunsonwheels

Slinging Rocks!

Wyoming Shoshone River Valley
Tennis Ball Lifespan
May 21st, 2007 at 6:26pm

Going to tennis balls for class instruction of the sling...  any users (slingers or tennis players) out there that can comment on about how long they last before going flat/dead???  I know they make a "high altitude" version that's supposed to have a less permiable shell (leaks the air pressure inside at a slower rate) but I don't really want to pay the premium for them.   Guess we really don't care if it bounces right anyway unless we're thinking of rebounding off heads with occasional errant throws.   Grin

George N

IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Re: Tennis Ball Lifespan
Reply #1 - May 21st, 2007 at 6:30pm

tennis balls, in a slinging application, should last until well after you lose them.  they are designed to take alot of abuse, and they really aren't for distance throws etc being fairly...un-dense?...they won't go that far or that high due to the low density, so you don't have to worry about them depressurizing etc.

i can almost gaurantee that the slingers will wear out before the tennis balls, assuming you don't lose them all.

are you teaching them in some sort of sports feild or indoor gym, or just in a random clearing somewhere?  it shouldn't be too hard to find most of them if you are somewhere with mowed grass...as long as the students don't throw too far... Grin

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

Gunsonwheels

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #2 - May 21st, 2007 at 7:08pm

Appreciate your reply... yes...  I guess the loss rate will exceed the flattening rate..   Smiley

We will have the boys stand right in front of a backstop to practice throwing.... one boy at a time while the others watch and shag any errant throws.   I have three 10 ft. by 10 ft. backstop panels... two are made for stopping golf balls and the third is 23 oz. canvas.  I have three frames for them...  two which are 1" schedule 40 pipe joined at the corners with plain pipe elbows.  For the Slingfest I'll use sockets made from 1 1/4" pipe that have a bullet (machined 1 3/8" dia. steel) point welded into one end.  I drive the sockets into the ground and simply insert the frame into that socket (1'' slides nicely into 1 1/4") and attach the backstop.  I'll pull the sockets with the tractor loader after we're done in Sept.  For the classes,  I am fabricating a crossmember with 1 1/4" vertical pipe sockets welded on the ends to hold one of those same backstop frames.  The cross-member attaches to a small utility trailer so when I arrive at a site, I simply screw the pipes on their elbows, insert the frame  into  the sockets and attach the backstop.   The mass of the trailer keeps everything upright but I also have the option of running guy ropes down from the tops and anchoring with 1" diameter steel stakes.  Oops... sorry... didn't mean to do a core dump on your question.   Embarrassed

Anyway we can park the trailer (and backstop) just about anywhere (yard, park, driveway, open field (gots lots of them here in Wyoming), etc.)

George N

IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #3 - May 21st, 2007 at 8:14pm

Hi,
A tennis player here. Going 'dead' or 'flat' isn't a concern with slinging. This changes how the balls bounce and impact the strings of a raquet but shouldn't be any issue for a sling (where there be no impact).
I've balls literally years old that've been buried out back by my dog. Work just fine for slinging Smiley

Head down to a local tennis club and ask if they have any 'dead' balls; this way you should be able to get a whole lot for free since they're usually just thrown out.

IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #4 - May 21st, 2007 at 8:36pm

that is another thing i wanted to clear up for gunsonwheels, that when a tennis ball goes flat it still holds its shape.  not like a basketball will get all floppy all over the place.  i have punched holes in tennis balls for various applications and they still hold thier shape becuase they are made from ridgid rubber.

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #5 - May 21st, 2007 at 9:17pm

Yeah, just ask for old balls from a tennis club.  For the purpose of slinging, they will last a long time. 

For the game of tennis though, a ball should bounce to 53 inches to 59 inches in height when dropped onto a flat cement surface from 100 inches above.  Also, it should weigh between 56 to 59 grams.  Due to the nature of the game the balls would depreciate out of this standard very quickly and tennis players often throw them out after a couple hours of play.  I love the game but i got to say it is one of the most enviromentally unfriendly sport there is!

IP Logged

Gunsonwheels

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6 - May 21st, 2007 at 11:23pm

Thanks for the suggestion about sub-standard balls.  I'll have to go to the the big city to the North and see what I can find...

Thanks again.

Tint,
Why "environmentally unfriendly" re: tennis???... 'cause of all the balls it turns into "waste"?   Maybe we just don't have enough slingers in the world...   Grin

George N

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #7 - May 22nd, 2007 at 3:29am

My experience of tennis balls is pretty much as stated by others. The big advantage of good balls, even old ones, is that if thrown against a solid brick wall they bounce back saving the effort of having to retrieve them. However cheap quality balls do not survive this pounding long and split along the seam.

If you want to improve their slinging characteristics you can cut a small hole and fill with sawdust, rice or something similar. Then superglue shut the hole. They fly much better once weighted this way but even good ones will split if thrown against a hard surface. Great for using in open grassy areas where they can easily be found.

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #8 - May 22nd, 2007 at 6:32am

cheap tennis balls sold for dogs last for about 5 minutes and then fall apart - whether this is due to slinging or the mastication they take from the dog - who can say. But decent tennis balls last huge amounts longer. When I can find ones that other people have lost :-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Gunsonwheels

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #9 - May 22nd, 2007 at 7:47pm

I appreciate all the suggestions...   I got in the yellow pages and called a quasi-local tennis club.  They  sell all their dying balls to a second hand sports store and I called them and arranged with them to buy 200 at two bits apiece.     ..."a good start...???"   Grin

George N

IP Logged

pancaker

Ohio
Reply #10 - May 25th, 2007 at 7:56am

Gunsonwheels,

I often practice with tennis balls indoors, 5-8 meters from a wall (squash court). The balls can go "flat" (don't bounce as much, make different sound) after just ten or so full power throws. After, say, 50 full power throws, they start to fall apart and become more like slinging a rubber sock. By that time it's a challenge just to load them in the pouch.

Slinging at a backstop that's not solid is probably the best way to go, sounds like you have an excellent set up planned.

IP Logged

pancaker

Ohio
Reply #11 - May 25th, 2007 at 8:02am

To build on Aussieslinger's post,
The easiest (and in my opinion best) way to add weight to tennis balls is something I read on this forum long ago:

Inject them with water using a syringe (helps if you have a doctor friend) until the ball is completely full. They become much heavier, fly nicer, and I think they even bounce better. These last me forever, or until I lose them.

If your backstop is sturdy enough, it could be interesting to have a couple of these weighted balls. Some slingers might find them more responsive and satisfying to throw. But watch out, these can hurt a lot.

IP Logged

pancaker

Ohio
Reply #12 - May 25th, 2007 at 8:17am

I think it would be great to pin/clip/sew a small metal plate to your backstops (maybe just the canvas one) as a target.
Because the backstops are flexible and absorb energy, these wouldn't need to be super-sturdy designs. But they'd add motivation and feedback to training.

IP Logged

wannabeslinger
Ex Member

Reply #13 - May 25th, 2007 at 1:27pm

unless it hits off a wall and rolls under a car tire or something <-- Grin

then it should last for a really really long time

IP Logged

funda_iucunda

Watt den een sin Uhl is
den annern sin Nachtigal.

Germany (north of Hamburg)
Reply #14 - May 25th, 2007 at 3:09pm

Tennis balls rather get out of sight than out of shape. I bought a 35 old house last year and we still find old tennis balls behind and under bushes. They look terribly but they are in shape. Cheesy
For slinging I buy old tennis balls on the flea market here. They cost about 50 €cent and work very well untill vanishing in the bushes... Shocked

funda iucunda

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, Morphy, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Chris, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker)