siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Re: slings in 300?
Reply #30 - May 29th, 2007 at 6:21pm

Quote:
Dale, the reason I go to the movies is to enjoy myself, not to study.  Tongue
I am guilty of doing a little research (namely reading wikipedia) ahead of time on the Spartans and Thermopylae (but not enough to know if I spelled that right).  I did that for the knowledge, and went to see it for entertainment.

this is the rationale for teachers showing movies loosely based on history.  things like reading the oddysey and then watching oh brother where art thou, despite the many similarities, the main reason for watching movies in classes is to keep the kids happy and quiet while you grade all of those research papers.

there are movies that are fun to take at face value, and there are movies that are good to take as serious attempts at art.  also there is artistic liscence taken all the time.

i am normally not the sort of person that people want to watch war movies with, or movies in which there will be anything outdoors related, because i often find myself criticizing the film for the mistakes and inconsistencies they make, and complaining that they should hire a better consultant.  i effectively ruin it for the other people watching the movie with me that would rather not know what they are doing wrong so that they can simply enjoy it as ignorant people.

so anyways; good to know not to expect any slings in the movie if and when i end up seeing it.

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, Chris, Morphy)