Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Setting up world sling records and organisation (Read 3334 times)
Gunsonwheels

Slinging Rocks!

Wyoming Shoshone River Valley
Re: Setting up world sling records and organisatio
Reply #15 - May 21st, 2007 at 7:18pm

Going to NZ this week... 6 hours behind but one day ahead... going west (to NZ) is the easy part it's coming back east that bites ya...   Shocked

George N

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #16 - May 23rd, 2007 at 8:09am

I think wyoming is about 7 hours behind me, but jetlag only really hits you the first day or 2. then I tend to get back to sensible sleeping habits. I find that not sleeping on the plane really helps. That way your first sleep on landing is pretty much the right period. And you adjust very quickly.

But 5am ? why ??????????????? (I know why gow would be up  - it's the fact that he might expect the rest of us to be there that's the problem ;-)lol

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #17 - May 24th, 2007 at 7:08am

Gunsonwheels wrote on May 18th, 2007 at 10:09pm:
i.e. not as much about slinging as about a culture...???

Both really. They may not see the two as being distinct. It would also explain why they apparently do not make any attempt to promote slinging as a sport outside their own environment. In fact they may see it as a negative thing in that their slinging, the materials used and the style, is something that gives them a unique identity. It probably wouldn't matter if both were proven to be inferior, just as modern bows shoot more accurately than long bows. Have to admit it is certainly sets them apart.

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #18 - May 24th, 2007 at 7:19am

yep - so you can't call the balearic slinging bods a world wide organisation.

So we still need a proper central organisation for collecting and varifying records.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #19 - May 25th, 2007 at 12:54am

Some time ago I proposed, in this Forum, that each country represented here start by establishing their own Slinging Federation. These National Federations could then come under the umbrella of a International Slinging Federation. Each country could hold their own competitions and the best could come to an international competition with the best of that going to.......dare I say it..... The Olympics!!!!!!

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #20 - May 25th, 2007 at 4:38am

why do it the roundabout way - surely - given the paucity of slingers - it makes more sense to have one worldwide organisation. There probably aren't enough slingers to populate an organisation for each country :-) - yet !

IP Logged

Africa_Slinger

I love Slinging.org!

Johannesburg, South Africa
Reply #21 - May 25th, 2007 at 4:44am

Grin

Sometimes there is just too much talking. What C_A is saying should be fairly simple.

You stand on the one side of a field at a demarcated area and hopefully sling to the other side of the field where there is a open landing area for the projectile. Have one or two people stand at each end of where all the action is. Then you measure between the two points and that is it. You do not realy have to have other slingers to validate the effort, grab your nearest bobby, mounty, policeman, church minister, doctor, laywer etc, etc, etc to validate your effort according to the rules laid down at slinging.org and post the results page (downloaded from slinging.org) with the appropriate signatures of said people on it.

Any body could fake the result and signatures, so nobody would know, but since we do not get any monetary rewards or any reward for that matter, you would just be kidding yourself. (I know some golfers like that)

Replies????????

Coenie.

ps. Wind factor and ground slope should be discussed. I recon 2m/s wind should be OK, ground slope?

Keep your shoulder to the wheel&&Your hand to the helm&&Your eye on the ball&&Your nose to the grindstone&&Your ear to the ground&&And you will not have time to put your foot in your mouth.&&&&(unknown)

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #22 - May 28th, 2007 at 7:31am

works for me :-)
And exactly what I'm trying to get across - as long as there is somewhere that collects the records and can to a certain extent state that the distances are genuine, that's the start.

Once that's established, then it all rolls on from there.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Morphy, vetryan15, Rat Man, Kick, Chris, joe_meadmaker)