Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Setting up world sling records and organisation (Read 3327 times)
Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Setting up world sling records and organisation
May 17th, 2007 at 7:30am

okay just got through typing this out on the world record thread so here's the idea:

[quote]I thought I was cynical - and then I heard of techstuff lol

david engvall was making sure that he was not stating that it was a 'traditional' sling. It is technically still a sling and despite ts reported  change in regulations the record still stands.

I personally would like to see two records. one for a pouched sling and glande and one for the engvall style hi-tech sling.

The way it's going to have to be done is that a world authority on slings (and there is only one as far as I know, all be it a sort of consensus authority) come up with a standard against which a record can be applied.
The throw being adjudicated as technically and accurately as possible by at least two people judged to be of sound character and integrity (bugger, might just have disqualified myself from judging).

If you look at it most athletic records are judged and administered  by the relevant athletic associations.

It does not have to be in the guinness to be a world record. It just has to be judged and measured by several trusted and qualified indviduals who everyone else will believe (yep that's me out) and approved by an appropriate association with enough membership to make it stick.

So on that unexpected note (honestly hadn't thought of any of this till I started typing) what say slinging.org makes up some rules and regulations for new sling records. we can trial them out in september and fine tune for a standardised system of throw measurement that can be used anywhere 4 or more slingers are gathered with the appropriate measuring kit.[/quote]

If we can come up with a body or official organisation (membership fees may be required, or not) that is recognised by other organisations then our records will stand the test of time.

It's something that's been hinted at on and off since chris set the site up.
But I think it might be time we started to seriously think about becoming official and getting some standardised throw and competition guidelines down on paper.  

IF we want a proper world slinging record or records - I don't see any other worldwide group of people out there who can set it up and make it stick.

what do you think ? (and before you all start moaning about admin- such things are not an insurmountable obstacle, given the breadth of membership, education level and intelligence of the average member).

I say we can do this, I believe we should do this. Better than spending a few more years wingeing about guinness surely :-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua
Interfector Viris Spurii

Matthew 11:25-30

Re: Setting up world sling records and organisatio
Reply #1 - May 17th, 2007 at 1:06pm

Quote:
Better than spending a few more years wingeing about guinness surely

Ouch.  Ok, I promise no more wingeing....about her former relevancy and all that.

CA, you have my vote for Grand Poobah of said organization.

TS

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #2 - May 17th, 2007 at 1:52pm

Also copied from the David Engvall topic:
Dale wrote on May 17th, 2007 at 1:26pm:
There is already a world authority on slinging (according to Vicente): the Federació Balear de Tir de Fona (FBTF).  I think it would work quite well to let them handle the traditional slinging records (Vicente is dead-set on traditional materials and techniques).  Slinging.org can handle the free-for-all -- er, freestyle -- slinging records, such as Larry Bray's (dacron cords, not traditional), David Engvall's (kevlar cords, hook and dart instead of pouch and stone), and any subsequent records set by TechStuf, David Taylor, Yurek, Tint, KnollSlinger, or whoever.

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

Gunsonwheels

Slinging Rocks!

Wyoming Shoshone River Valley
Reply #3 - May 17th, 2007 at 4:50pm

Sounds like a good plan... again back to Silhouette shooting... rigid original but at least one other classification... "Unlimited"... and maybe a few in between.

Went to a cannon shoot a couple years ago and a couple brothers had built guns on 50 caliber barrels (or maybe it was 20mm) but it was like mounting a long range rifle on a carriage to compete against vintage (replica) Civil War stuff.  The match director looked the situation over, talked about the unfair advantage with the owners and proceeded to create a special classification for just them... complete with their own trophy and prize money.  EVERYONE participated and NO ONE went home feeling cheated out of something.  I congratulated him on his creativity in making the event a success for ALL who showed up to participate.  Until we get everything sorted out I believe we will need to show a similar creativeness in running competitions.  Taking a mindset that things have to be a certain way and only that way... well... I don't really think we want to be that kind of organization...   Smiley

George N

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #4 - May 18th, 2007 at 6:55am

(actually I was going to volunteer dale as grand poobah ;-)
the balearics. Cover balearic style and competitions only and are not what I'm envisaging. Plus they tend to have the (no actual offence intended here) niche mindset. 'This is our sport, this is how it's done, anything else is wrong and we don't recognise it'. And I don't read spanish ;-)
The balearic slingers have made no attempt to promote their sport outside of the balearic isles and seem to keep it almost as something outsiders are discouraged from doing (this may not be the case but it is the impression I get).
Slinging.org takes an almost opposing view in that the sling can be for everyone and if your style and kit isn't classic - well who cares.

Initially what is needed is a reliable set of methods and regulations to govern how a distance throw is measured. Again I don't think it would pay to be too pedantic. gps, bike wheel measuring, even long measured bits of rope - would all work for me. As long as each throw was properly documented and witnessed I would consider it valid.
Only 2 categories are needed.
1) traditional pouched sling (using any materials you wish and any throwing style)
2) non traditional sling to cover compound slings and dart slings and whatever else anyone  comes up with that isn't two bits of cord joined by a pouch.
Anything else is overcomplicating and utterly unnecessary.

My idea is to try and put the whole concept of recorded throws into the realms where everyone with a minimal set of equipment can give it a go. IN yureks case he would have to have found the glande to document that it actually went that far - other than that it ticks all the boxes. IN that the distance was measured, and the throw witnessed.

If we can get it down to a sensible set of guidelines then that is a solid platform to start building a proper association upon.
But the emphasis has to be accessability.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Gunsonwheels

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #5 - May 18th, 2007 at 11:17am

Quote:
But the emphasis has to be accessability.

Is that read as "here's what so and so did..."    or as "here's what was done and how it is documented and you decide what so and so did" ???  The first is a conclusion and the latter is 'here's the data... make your own conclusion'.  The first always raises my ire and suspicion (the media does it almost exclusively) and the latter evokes in me a "hey... way cool".

George N

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #6 - May 18th, 2007 at 4:45pm

Quote:
'This is our sport, this is how it's done, anything else is wrong and we don't recognise it'. ...  The balearic slingers have made no attempt to promote their sport outside of the balearic isles and seem to keep it almost as something outsiders are discouraged from doing (this may not be the case but it is the impression I get). 
Slinging.org takes an almost opposing view in that the sling can be for everyone and if your style and kit isn't classic - well who cares.

Curious_Aardvark, what you wrote encapsulates several lengthy discussions amongst ourselves and with Vicente.   Vicente represents the FBTF, and we went around with him several times before coming to a civil understanding.  In fairness to him, he went to a good deal of effort to communicate with us, but he appears to have depended on Google Language Tools or Babelfish or other computerized translators, for his English.  This in itself caused a good deal of difficulty.

The FBTF folk do allow anybody to acquire a license to participate in their contests ... but one must travel to Mallorca or a neighboring island to participate; no sanctioned contests occur elsewhere.  This may be simply because no one elsewhere has gone to the trouble to set up a "branch office" of the FBTF.

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #7 - May 18th, 2007 at 5:10pm

the ftbf does not encapsulate what I'm talking about. That's it really. They are all about their particular sport and it has pretty rigid regulations. I'm not putting them down, but they have their niche and it's not one I either want to impinge on or believe represents the consensus views of slinging.org and it's forum.
How you can claim to be worldwide association if you have to go to mallorca just to compete ?
It's just not us (the global us ;-).

I'm just talking about initially setting up some decent guidelines for distance throws and how to measure/document them.

Forget competitions for the moment, or memberships.  That can come later if necessary.

Even the largest forest fire has to start with a single spark. So lets make some sparks and see where it leads :-)

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #8 - May 18th, 2007 at 7:59pm

The FBTF exists for a specific reason; to preserve the tradition of slinging that is so prominent in their history, just as various longbow shooters seek to preserve the archery tradition in England and Wales. To that end they allow no synthetic material at all which excludes most of our slings, and their requirement for two full rotations and high release excludes all Greek style variations, Fig.8 and all under and side arm styles, ie. just about all of us are out because of the way we sling as well. How pointless! The purpose of slings, just like any other weapon, is to hit the target with sufficient "killing" force. Those should be the only criteria. Anything set up by Slinging.org should not be in opposition to, but still independent of, what they do. I think their targets and point scoring system are great but their restrictions on style and equipment are just un-necessary for those who are not a part of their particular tradition.

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

Gunsonwheels

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #9 - May 18th, 2007 at 10:09pm

i.e. not as much about slinging as about a culture...???

George N

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #10 - May 19th, 2007 at 11:13am

yeah, what I said :-)

IP Logged

Dravonk
Funditor

Aachen, Germany
Reply #11 - May 19th, 2007 at 2:23pm

I can understand why they limit the materials though I do not think it matters much. But I don't get why they limit the styles. It's not like the ancient slingers limited their styles.

I'd suggest that we set our records at our meetings. With that I mean every meeting that has been announced previously here in the forum and where at least three forum members showed up (who all agree on the record). Then some nice pictures of the surroundings and I guess most os would believe it. Maybe we could say that if there is wind you make your throw against the wind?

IP Logged

Gunsonwheels

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #12 - May 19th, 2007 at 4:34pm

For the Wyoming Slingfest...

Distance stuff isn't that simple... we have a good landing area bounded on one end by a reservoir and on the other end by a field of alfalfa... the landing area works if we stand in the alfalfa and throw toward that landing area (clear ground).  Distance matches require you have the ground (500 meters plus) and that you can verify the spot the projectile lands (ground clear of brush, grass, crops, boulders, etc.)

Anyway...  we will be throwing from west to east and it just doesn't work any other way (unless we stand in a boat on the reservoir...  Cheesy ) and when the wind blows it is usually out of the west.  (hoping for a real calm day at this point)  We will be meeting over two or possibly three days so we'll make it work (I have found about 5 am it is almost always calm around here   Wink)

George N

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #13 - May 21st, 2007 at 7:23am

[quote](I have found about 5 am it is almost always calm around here   ) [/quote]

So that's just you then :-)
No way am I intending to see 5am any time soon lol
Not given a choice anyway :)

IP Logged

wanderer
Interfector Viris Spurii

Texas
Reply #14 - May 21st, 2007 at 8:19am

C_A, since you are soming from Europe, 5am might be easier than you think Wink. Do I just say jet-lag?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, Rat Man, Chris, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Kick, Curious Aardvark)