Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Third Class - First Blood     A Warning (Read 3755 times)
Dravonk
Funditor

Aachen, Germany
Re: Third Class - First Blood     A Warn
Reply #15 - Jul 2nd, 2007 at 6:11am

Last day an accident happend here, luckily with tennis balls. I was in a park with a sports field where I practiced slinging. Of course that drew attention to me and some kids wanted to try, too. I thought it was safest if they practice a clean release first and told them to swing the sling back and forth to release underhand with very low power. (That is what I did when I started).

Then a boy came who said that he had already done this and he got to 50 or 80 meters with a heavier ball. Of course he didn't do the low power throw I adviced but did some sidearm throw with a 180 degree rotation of his whole body. Quite powerfull, he could sling as far as I did with other styles.

One of his friends came who had only seen him slinging and wanted to do it, too. Of course I told him to swing it back and forth and do a low power release, but did he listen? No, of course he wanted to be even better than his friend and didn't only do a 180 degree rotation, but started to spin with his whole body faster and faster, ignoring my calls to stop that as it is very dangerous. Then he released...and slammed the tennis ball with full force against the chest of his friend, close to the stomach.

He fell down immediatly, obviously with a lot of pain. He said he could breath and didn't want me to call for help. After a while he got up again, though bad tempered and with a big bruise at his chest.

So even tennis balls can be painfull. Before that happend some small girls wanted to throw stones. When I kept denying that, saying that it is too dangerous, they wanted me to present a throw with a stone to them. Again I refused. I was standing in a park! Kids...

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Re: Third Class - First Blood     A Warning
Reply #16 - Jul 2nd, 2007 at 10:45am

Was the kid hurt one of the Boy Scouts? If so I would be very careful on how that is handled. One slip up can have the Scouts be pulled from the event by their Council. It would be different if it had occured on Scout property.
  I don't mean to sound discouraging, but being in Scout here in the states
( and  in the TransAtlantic council) for almost 20 years, I pretty much know the mentality of councils. Be sure all paperwork is in order and kepp them up to date on all things. Have council reps there if you can. I wouldn't want the fun to be ruined by one bad experience.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Dravonk
Funditor

Aachen, Germany
Re: Third Class - First Blood     A Warn
Reply #17 - Jul 2nd, 2007 at 11:44am

slingbadger wrote on Jul 2nd, 2007 at 10:45am:
Was the kid hurt one of the Boy Scouts?

Was that regarding Gunsonwheel's report or regarding my report? If the latter is the case, it had nothing to do with boyscouts in my case, I was just playing around in a town park.

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #18 - Jul 3rd, 2007 at 10:15am

Gunsonwheel

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Gunsonwheels

Slinging Rocks!

Wyoming Shoshone River Valley
Reply #19 - Jul 5th, 2007 at 6:10pm

Our boy wasn't reported to Scouts as all issues like that aree taken care of within the sponsoring organization.  Besides... ours was smiling through the whole thing...   Smiley

George N

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, Kick, Chris, Morphy, joe_meadmaker, Rat Man)