Send Topic Print
sling trap (Read 14417 times)
slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
sling trap
May 16th, 2007 at 12:13pm

Just got done reading the life of Alexander the Great. The sling shows up once in a while in battle.
  One of the best was when he was in a rocky area of Persia. The army was tricked into going into a narrow rocky valley. From on top they got pelted with arrows,slingstones, even boulders. Of course, Alexander doesn't retreat, but tries to make a tetsudo to protect them.   Eventually they have to retreat, but at the loss of many men.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Trebuchet
Descens

Ave, Caesar! Baliares
te salutimus!

Montgomery, AL
Re: sling trap
Reply #1 - Oct 3rd, 2007 at 9:33pm

slingbadger wrote on May 16th, 2007 at 12:13pm:
Just got done reading the life of Alexander the Great. The sling shows up once in a while in battle.
 One of the best was when he was in a rocky area of Persia. The army was tricked into going into a narrow rocky valley. From on top they got pelted with arrows,slingstones, even boulders. Of course, Alexander doesn't retreat, but tries to make a tetsudo to protect them.   Eventually they have to retreat, but at the loss of many men.

Alexander was one amazing dude, even if he did go a bit bonkers at the end.  I’m a little surprised (although I shouldn’t be) at his use of the “turtle” (testudo).   I thought it was a Roman notion.  But it makes excellence sense and, as I’ve said before many times, our ancestors were not idiots.

Trebuchet

Go tell the Spartans, stranger passing by, that here, obedient to their law we lie.&&&&

IP Logged

JTK
Funditor

Give me a sling and a
javelin and im a war
machine

Western Kentucky
Reply #2 - Dec 18th, 2007 at 10:53am

I just finneshed the book mossflower by Brian jaques ,slings galore

I missed!  thump  I missed bad...
superj654321  
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #3 - Dec 18th, 2007 at 11:20am

[quote]even if he did go a bit bonkers at the end[/quote]

well syphilis will do that to ya :-)

I suppose the thing about the romans was that they weren't too proud to use someone elses idaes - as long as it worked :-)

Just look at pasta - invented by the chinese and now mostly associated with the italians :-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Lasse C

Nodeo, ergo sum

Vänersborg, Sweden
Reply #4 - Dec 18th, 2007 at 4:51pm

Curious Aardvark wrote on Dec 18th, 2007 at 11:20am:
  Just look at pasta - invented by the chinese and now mostly associated with the italians Smiley

I know this is a bit off topic, but.. sorry, that“s not true.
There are plenty of evidence for pasta (including dried pasta found in ethruscian graves) in what is today Italy way back pre-Marco Polo. I think I“ve even come across some documentation of pasta from Roman age, but at the moment I can“t recall the source.

That the Chinese invented pasta, and Marco Polo brought it back to Italy is just another of those things that have been repeated often enough that many people "know" that they are true. Lots of that going around. (You can“t see the Great Wall of China nor the pyramids of Egypt from the moon, either - in case anyone still believed that one...  Wink )

Lasse C
Happy little mythbuster

IP Logged

axon50

Dein Schleuder baut auf
Ihnen.

nz
Reply #5 - Dec 18th, 2007 at 10:44pm

Lasse C wrote on Dec 18th, 2007 at 4:51pm:
Curious Aardvark wrote on Dec 18th, 2007 at 11:20am:
  Just look at pasta - invented by the chinese and now mostly associated with the italians Smiley

I know this is a bit off topic, but.. sorry, that“s not true.
There are plenty of evidence for pasta (including dried pasta found in ethruscian graves) in what is today Italy way back pre-Marco Polo. I think I“ve even come across some documentation of pasta from Roman age, but at the moment I can“t recall the source.

That the Chinese invented pasta, and Marco Polo brought it back to Italy is just another of those things that have been repeated often enough that many people "know" that they are true. Lots of that going around. (You can“t see the Great Wall of China nor the pyramids of Egypt from the moon, either - in case anyone still believed that one...  Wink )

Lasse C
Happy little mythbuster

Have you read The History Of Pasta? 'cuz i haven't......... i don't even know if their's a book called that. Wink

Žęr węron ongemang eallra žisra rinca seofone hund manna ža že węron wineserhande, žara ęlc cuše weorpan stan mid lišere and ne misweorpan. &&&&16 ferses 20 heafodwearde Demena bec. (Judges 20:16)

IP Logged

axon50

Dein Schleuder baut auf
Ihnen.

nz
Reply #6 - Dec 18th, 2007 at 11:12pm

but yeah, alexander was quite amazing, one of the ancient superpowers of the ancient world, along with nebuchadnezar,cesar, gengis khan, england, and at the moment america, the world has an amazing legacy of super powers....

Žęr węron ongemang eallra žisra rinca seofone hund manna ža že węron wineserhande, žara ęlc cuše weorpan stan mid lišere and ne misweorpan. &&&&16 ferses 20 heafodwearde Demena bec. (Judges 20:16)

IP Logged

Lasse C

Nodeo, ergo sum

Vänersborg, Sweden
Reply #7 - Dec 19th, 2007 at 3:17am

axon50 wrote on Dec 18th, 2007 at 10:44pm:
 Have you read The History Of Pasta? 'cuz i haven't......... i don't even know if their's a book called that.

I don“t know if there is a specific book called "The history of Pasta", either - but because I find it interesting I have read about the history of pasta, yes.
And the point you want to make is...?  Roll Eyes

BTW, taking a little care to evaluate sources of information and comparing with other sources is a great way to weed out myths and find actual facts. As I wrote, there are a lot of stories going around which are taken for true just because they have been repeated often enough.

Lasse C

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #8 - Dec 19th, 2007 at 11:47am

lol did I mention marco polo ? I don't think so. Everyone knows the old 'marco polo brought everything back to europe' is a pile of old wives tales :-)
And anyone who thinks that mainland europe and china had no connection before marco polo is an idiot - it's a single contiguous landmass - of course there were many connections long before polo.

I suspect if you checked you'd find the chinese had pasta long before the italians had civilsation. The chinese certainly had civilisation long before most of europe.

I stand by my assertion :-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

axon50

Dein Schleuder baut auf
Ihnen.

nz
Reply #9 - Dec 19th, 2007 at 5:44pm

Lasse C wrote on Dec 19th, 2007 at 3:17am:
axon50 wrote on Dec 18th, 2007 at 10:44pm:
  Have you read The History Of Pasta? 'cuz i haven't......... i don't even know if their's a book called that.

I don“t know if there is a specific book called "The history of Pasta", either - but because I find it interesting I have read about the history of pasta, yes.
And the point you want to make is...?  Roll Eyes

BTW, taking a little care to evaluate sources of information and comparing with other sources is a great way to weed out myths and find actual facts. As I wrote, there are a lot of stories going around which are taken for true just because they have been repeated often enough.

Lasse C

I was just (in a kinda sarcastic indirect way) pointing out that pasta's not that important (so I probably shouldn't have made that post),
but yes, i have found that checking as many sources as possible is a good way to check if something is true Smiley. It almost always works (90+% of the time).

IP Logged

axon50

Dein Schleuder baut auf
Ihnen.

nz
Reply #10 - Dec 19th, 2007 at 5:45pm

[quote author=curious_aardvark link=1179331981/0#8 date=1198082845]lol did I mention marco polo ? I don't think so. Everyone knows the old 'marco polo brought everything back to europe' is a pile of old wives tales :-)
And anyone who thinks that mainland europe and china had no connection before marco polo is an idiot - it's a single contiguous landmass - of course there were many connections long before polo.

I suspect if you checked you'd find the chinese had pasta long before the italians had civilsation. The chinese certainly had civilisation long before most of europe.

I stand by my assertion :-)
[/quote]
the chinese had noodles not pasta, their is a slight difference. ;)

IP Logged

Ethan
Funditor

so much depends upon a
red wheelbarrow...

On the edge of a lake...
Reply #11 - Dec 19th, 2007 at 6:48pm

Well, generally if something has an actual religion dedicated to it, it's pretty important... Cheesy

Ramen is Chinese, right? Most other pasta has relatively (OK, extremely) italian names... But that is totally worthless, because names change, and trans-culture items tend to achieve new names...

The pizza in its well-known form (the pizza pie) is actually Italian-American, right? Just thought I would throw out another controversial "Italian" comestible...

According to everyones favorite non-credible information source, wikipedia.org , depending on how you define "pasta" it has been in China, Greece, Italy, Israel... Horace, Galen, Isho bar Ali, Athenaeus, etc. wrote about it...

Back to the original topic...

Alexander was very cool, or very evil, depending on how you look at it. It seems that Ancient dictators and conquerors are seen as cool, while more modern ones are seen as evil.
Alexander, Caesar, various Middle-eastern warlords...

Then Charlemagne, Napoleon, Frederik of Prussia...

Then you have Hitler, Stalin, various Middle-eastern warlords... Seen as evil sickos.

I'm not saying that they weren't, because I think they were. But why, because Alexander killed thousands and brought havoc so long ago does it make him cool? Because the slaughtered innocents are nameless? Because the genocideded cultures are gone?
Just some thoughts...

"Young men go to war. Sometimes because they have to, sometimes because they want to. Always, they feel they are supposed to. This comes from the sad, layered stories of life, which over the centuries have seen courage confused with picking up arms, and cowardice confused with putting them down."&&--Mitch Albom, The Five People you meet in Heaven
WWW Ethan Sithapprentice21  
IP Logged

axon50

Dein Schleuder baut auf
Ihnen.

nz
Reply #12 - Dec 19th, 2007 at 10:46pm

Ethan wrote on Dec 19th, 2007 at 6:48pm:
Well, generally if something has an actual religion dedicated to it, it's pretty important... Cheesy

Ramen is Chinese, right? Most other pasta has relatively (OK, extremely) italian names... But that is totally worthless, because names change, and trans-culture items tend to achieve new names...

The pizza in its well-known form (the pizza pie) is actually Italian-American, right? Just thought I would throw out another controversial "Italian" comestible...

According to everyones favorite non-credible information source, wikipedia.org , depending on how you define "pasta" it has been in China, Greece, Italy, Israel... Horace, Galen, Isho bar Ali, Athenaeus, etc. wrote about it...

Back to the original topic...

Alexander was very cool, or very evil, depending on how you look at it. It seems that Ancient dictators and conquerors are seen as cool, while more modern ones are seen as evil.
Alexander, Caesar, various Middle-eastern warlords...

Then Charlemagne, Napoleon, Frederik of Prussia...

Then you have Hitler, Stalin, various Middle-eastern warlords... Seen as evil sickos.

I'm not saying that they weren't, because I think they were. But why, because Alexander killed thousands and brought havoc so long ago does it make him cool? Because the slaughtered innocents are nameless? Because the genocideded cultures are gone?
Just some thoughts...

The bible describes alexander as a pursocuter of saints, the reson (i think) that he is so populair, is because he was a millitary genius : Huh, but i suppose we shouldn't praise alexander as much as we shouldn't praise hitler, point taken. (if that's what you meant).

IP Logged

Ethan
Funditor

so much depends upon a
red wheelbarrow...

On the edge of a lake...
Reply #13 - Dec 19th, 2007 at 11:30pm

I didn't really have much of a point, other than, while military genius is genius and fun to study, and weapons are fun to weild (Duh. Look at the site name...), war isn't necessarily cool.

It's pretty much never cool, because either you are an invader, therefor bad, or being invaded, therefor the other guy is bad.
Either way, someone has to be evil...

"Young men go to war. Sometimes because they have to, sometimes because they want to. Always, they feel they are supposed to. This comes from the sad, layered stories of life, which over the centuries have seen courage confused with picking up arms, and cowardice confused with putting them down."&&--Mitch Albom, The Five People you meet in Heaven
WWW Ethan Sithapprentice21  
IP Logged

Lasse C

Nodeo, ergo sum

Vänersborg, Sweden
Reply #14 - Dec 20th, 2007 at 8:48am

[quote author=curious_aardvark link=1179331981/0#8 date=1198082845] I suspect if you checked you'd find the chinese had pasta long before the italians had civilsation. The chinese certainly had civilisation long before most of europe.
[/quote]
OK, I“ll buy that!
I guess I jumped to the Marco Polo conclusion too quickly. Whether pasta was invented by the chinese and spread, or if it is one of those many things that have been independently invented in several places, I“ll leave undebated.

Have you tried the braided leather sling yet, BTW?

LC

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini, David Morningstar, Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner)