Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
How to Make a Rope Dart (Read 14767 times)
CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
How to Make a Rope Dart
May 9th, 2007 at 9:30pm

Well,
Inspired a long time ago by FTC's post( http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1141829822/0 ) and his generosity to send me a copy of "Spike and Chain" I decided to make a rope dart. Though very crude, it works very well.
Now, several months later, I put up some instructions on how you can make one. Nothing complicated, but perhaps the idea itself will inspire someone. You can find it here:

Some pics:

FTC's image must have stuck, because months later, taking this picture. I decided to use the same rope-coil method. Smiley

Interesting: The linked page is #11 in Google for 'Rope Dart' and 23rd for "ropedart" (a slinging.org thread holds #4 for the latter search!Smiley)

IP Logged

Stenny
Funditor

Don't laugh at me, I can
sling in every direction!

Re: How to Make a Rope Dart
Reply #1 - May 10th, 2007 at 11:21am

Looks certainly functional  Smiley.

Slinger, martial artist, knife thrower, blowgunner and general weirdo since 1998.&&Proud owner of official Zombie hunting permit and scars to prove it's worth.&&Underestimating a fighter or a weapon is the surest way to make plastic surgeons happy.

IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #2 - May 11th, 2007 at 7:11am

FunSlinger wrote on May 11th, 2007 at 12:46am:
CanDo, it looks substantial and strong. I'll have to do some reading as to how it is used/wielded, because just looking at the picture it looks like if it is swung around, that it would only strike things side-on and never pointy-end first.  Huh

Do you have some buffing/honing materials to get a mirror shine on that steel? And perhaps some fancy braiding and turkshead, pineapple, etc type knots at key places along the rope and then it'd look  Shocked as handsome as it is sturdy and functional.

Thanks,
If you check out the link above: http://www.instructables.com/id/E7O4T0VF1A4XYVB/ that will answer all of your questions. Paraphrased from that site: this one wasn't meant to be pretty, the next will look nice  Cool
There's a video on that link to show you how it's used.
« Last Edit: May 17th, 2007 at 8:03pm by CanDo »  
IP Logged

drum_slinger

Armed with a heart of
steel.

Reply #3 - May 12th, 2007 at 7:43pm

is spike and chain an actual book, or an ebook, because if it is an ebook, i would love to get a copy if i could.

Funditor et celsus.&&&&Cape Hoc!!
Zyahtiger@aol.com  
IP Logged

Dravonk
Funditor

Aachen, Germany
Reply #4 - May 13th, 2007 at 1:44pm

The videos look as if this weapon is almost as dangerous for the wielder as for the victim. What are your experiences?

IP Logged

drum_slinger

Armed with a heart of
steel.

Reply #5 - May 13th, 2007 at 8:12pm

worst I've ever had happen was because my dart is at a wierd angle cuase it is a nail through a loop at the end of a rope was tody when it came back at a forward angle instead of blunt side first, I got a little scratch, nothing major\

Funditor et celsus.&&&&Cape Hoc!!
Zyahtiger@aol.com  
IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #6 - May 13th, 2007 at 9:25pm

drum slinger,
PM me your e-mail.

FunSlinger,
Ay, it most definitely is worth doing right the first time. I was very well unsure of how it would work, so made this as a test. With my schedule, 'doing it right' would leave it completed sometime in the next few months  Tongue. With the beginning of the summer, I hope to make a nice one:
~Weight concentrated further forward
~Cool grinds and angles
~Chain links
~Red Flag
~Etched designs in the steel
~Braided line with a bit of knotwork
~Quench Line
RR spikes aren't really mild steel, the carbon content varies I think up to 60% -Look for ones with HC stamped on the head. They can actually be hardened to make functional knives!  I should mention that this one was indeed, heat treated, though I'm not entirely sure that did anything, as it was a rush job.

Dravonk,
I have a high-power light in my back yard on a street lamp pole. This lights up everything as though it were day, but leaves a crisp shadow everywhere. I practice facing away from the light, and by following the shadow, I can keep it from killing me. I just take everything very slow, especially at first, so that I can't get in too much trouble if I mess up.  You could practice with a bag of sand or something instead of steel for safety...

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #7 - May 14th, 2007 at 12:51pm

link to video no longer works :-(

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #8 - May 14th, 2007 at 6:30pm

[quote author=curious_aardvark link=1178760654/0#9 date=1179161490]link to video no longer works :-(
[/quote]
yes it does  :-? :-/

Perhaps youtube lost a lawsuit, appealed and then won in the past couple of hours :)

IP Logged

lololololol
Tiro

Reply #9 - May 17th, 2007 at 3:11pm

http://youtube.com/watch?v=uhW67MBO8M8  direct link to video
http://www.instructables.com/id/E7O4T0VF1A4XYVB/  link to article (second one referenced in post contains a comma at the end that breaks the link)

IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #10 - May 17th, 2007 at 8:03pm

lololololol wrote on May 17th, 2007 at 3:11pm:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=uhW67MBO8M8 ; direct link to video
http://www.instructables.com/id/E7O4T0VF1A4XYVB/ ; link to article (second one referenced in post contains a comma at the end that breaks the link)

Thanks for pointing that out, It's fixed now.

IP Logged

Bikewer
Interfector Viris Spurii

I love Slinging.org!

St. Louis, Mo
Reply #11 - May 23rd, 2007 at 12:25pm

A related weapon is the "meteor ball", essentially a just a weight on the end of a rope.   Jackie Chan does a nice little exhibition with one in that Shanghai Noon movie, using a horseshoe as the weight!

I fooled around with one a bit, seems like it has a lot of potential.  You can make hard "throws" sling-style, letting the rope slide through your hand, and use the weight as a flexible weapon ala the Manriki.

Also the rope functions for trapping and deflecting.

From my limited experiments, it seems you'd do best with a non-abrasive rope, or gloves!
Also a soft "ball" to start; as the man above says, it's a little dangerous to the user.

IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #12 - May 14th, 2009 at 4:18pm

Off topic replies have been moved to This Thread

IP Logged

Galvanicfish

Just not right.

Central Ohio
Reply #13 - May 14th, 2009 at 7:11pm

Ya know, one good thing about these gorram spammers is the pulling up old threads I wouldn't normally read.  Not that I encourage them or anything, if I had my way they''d be flayed alive and rolled in margarita salt.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana&&&&

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
tv listings
Reply #14 - Oct 26th, 2009 at 9:04am

Off topic replies have been moved to This Thread

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar)