Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
accuracy - how long?!! (Read 4380 times)
penny
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

England
accuracy - how long?!!
May 8th, 2007 at 5:29pm

hi!
~I'm british and I'm a total beginner to the sling, as in since saturday. I made my own crude sling out of a fake leather handbag (of course what else?!) and some braided leather string. I was just wondering how long it takes to get vaguely accurate?! i've been aiming at a telegraph pole for many hours, with the only result that my right arm really hurts!!! not that im impatient, i just need fellow support and advice! great site by the way, really useful Smiley xxx

IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Re: accuracy - how long?!!
Reply #1 - May 8th, 2007 at 6:26pm

penny wrote on May 8th, 2007 at 5:29pm:
I was just wondering how long it takes to get vaguely accurate?

Depends on your specific skill set, target size, distance, slinging style etc... Vague accuracy in oh  Undecided 500 casts or so ....
try different things .... but only change one thing at a time.  Make every throw the same as the previous throw; keep in mind ..
it's not "practice makes perfect." It is "perfect practice makes perfect."
Welcome to the slinger's journey of discovery.  Smiley

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...
THIS ADVICE IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

IP Logged

wanderer
Interfector Viris Spurii

Texas
Reply #2 - May 8th, 2007 at 7:11pm

Welcome to the forum!

There has been a lot of discussion on this Smiley. Search for 'accuracy' over the past year and you'll find a lot.

I found this posting helpful, although I'm still not much good.  Angry
    http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1163279512/10#10
It should apply to pretty much any style you might be trying.

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #3 - May 9th, 2007 at 6:15am

Hi Penny,

I thought I posted a reply before but it seems to have disappeared into the ether, so welcome from Australia.

Your question is hard to answer because it depends on so many factors; the style you are trying to learn, your natural physical ability and strength, even what you consider to be accurate. At least I can help with a good workable sling. I would love to send you one of my slings. They are specially tailored for newcomers in that they hold tennis balls securely. For safety's sake it's best to start with tennis balls. However the slings do work with stones provided they are not too small. (If you specifically want to sling small stones I will send the appropriate sling.)  Just advise me of your postal address by PM. I keep all such addresses absolutely confidential.

Regards,

Aussieslinger

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

penny
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

England
Reply #4 - May 9th, 2007 at 7:56am

[Welcome to the slinger's journey of discovery.  Smiley [/quote]

i can tell its going to be quite a special journey!! ok more specifically, can you hit a telegraph pole from 30 metres? how long does that kind of accuracy take, for you i mean , other more personal factors aside.

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #5 - May 9th, 2007 at 8:30am

Again, it depends on the technique. Seems everyone has their favorite cast that works for them. That's the one they are generally most accurate with. Also, depends on how much you practice. Try different casts, and see what works for you

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #6 - May 10th, 2007 at 6:09am

A telegraph pole from 30m is actually a surprisingly difficult target because even though tall, is very narrow, so your side to side dispersion has to be very good even if your range estimation is way off. Something like a standard rubbish bin would be a better target. Even then you may not hit it the first few times but once you get the range right you may hit it almost every time.

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

penny
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

England
Reply #7 - May 10th, 2007 at 8:35am

ok, i'll try a bigger target, a suppose a telegraph pole was a little optimistic!

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #8 - May 10th, 2007 at 1:23pm

see, what most people don't realise is that telegraph poles move. It's true, too fast to see but they do move - so in all probability you're on target :-)

try to start with something easy to hit like a field or a wood - that's not being facaetious. Just get used to general distance casting without any specific aiming and as your throwing gets easier and you sling further you'll find that you can start concentrating on accuracy without the actual slinging requiring any attention.

The more natural the cast the easier it is to get it going in the right direction.
And on that note I'll put my wellies on and go sling some rocks for the dog :-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

penny
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

England
Reply #9 - May 10th, 2007 at 2:12pm

aaaaaah, well i thought they might! i have suspected it for some time but i didnt want anyone to think i was making excuses you know. general areas, will do.  Smiley

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #10 - May 11th, 2007 at 6:30am

And it's not just telegraph poles - I'm convinced that fence posts, gateposts, individual trees and small road signs - also have this quantum like ability to simply move out of the way just when your stone is about to hit them.

This is why you can successfully sling at a whole wood and be confidnt of hitting an actual tree - the buggers don't know which one you're aiming at - so they don't move in time :-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #11 - May 11th, 2007 at 1:50pm

Aardvark, you are a genius!!  That is it, exactly!  Quantum uncertainty: if a given tree knew you were aiming at it, it could move out of the way.  But if your aim is so uncertain that no tree knows where the stone is, none of them move.

This implies that the better a slinger I am, the less frequently I will hit any tree.

Ahhhh ... I feel so much better now!
« Last Edit: May 12th, 2007 at 1:29am by Dale »  

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

Chaotic Rage

Vous etes saoul!

Reply #12 - May 11th, 2007 at 6:03pm

There has to be some formula to prove that! Because it happens to all of us  Smiley

The best luck I have is when I use a baseball-like overhand cast. Also, don't try to sling at completely full power- half to threequarter power seems about right. Hope it helps.

&&
Roychipoqua  
IP Logged

penny
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

England
Reply #13 - May 12th, 2007 at 6:37am

This implies that the better a slinger I am, the less frequently I will hit any tree.

this means im probably the best slinger here!!  Smiley Grin

IP Logged

Gunsonwheels

Slinging Rocks!

Wyoming Shoshone River Valley
Reply #14 - May 12th, 2007 at 11:09am

Welcome to the site penny and all the slightly obtuse people who frequent it.    If you are looking for accuracy try to find a throwing technique that most fits the way you throw without a sling.  Then work with that style.  I slung for many years just for the fun of being able to throw with such power and distance and wondered how anybody could be accurate...  but then I found a throwing style that fit the way I throw without a sling well enough that like overnight the accuracy came.  But C_A's right about things still moving... just not so much and as often as before...    Wink

George N

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, Chris, David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini)