Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Slings in roman army; Switzerland; legio 3,10,12 (Read 3619 times)
Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Slings in roman army; Switzerland; legio 3,10,12
May 7th, 2007 at 4:21pm

Recently I found an old paper on my desk. It mentions some founds of glandes in Switzerland, Grison with stamps on them. These glandes were marked with stamps of the legiones. There were stamps with the following inscriptions: L.III ; LEG.X ; L.XII . Besides several other metal founds, there was a fragment of a round lead block. It weighs now 918 gramm and was once probably 2000 gramms heavy. The fragment has on its surface round punches, strike signs and "bubbles" (->melting?). There was the speculation, that it may was used for manufacturing glandes. This things may were lost from roman soldiers in 15 B.C. in relation with the "Alps campaign".

If anyone is interested in this article in german, I'll scan it and send it to you.
In worst case, I may translate some lines into English. It was published in: "Jahrbuch der Schweizerischen Gesellschaft für Ur- und Frühgeschichte; 2004" pages 297-303

Just wanted to tell you this few things...
Teg

IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Re: Slings in roman army; Switzerland; legio 3,10,
Reply #1 - May 7th, 2007 at 11:58pm

I wou;d be intrested in the translated version of this

Marc Adkins

Teg wrote on May 7th, 2007 at 4:21pm:
Recently I found an old paper on my desk. It mentions some founds of glandes in Switzerland, Grison with stamps on them. These glandes were marked with stamps of the legiones. There were stamps with the following inscriptions: L.III ; LEG.X ; L.XII . Besides several other metal founds, there was a fragment of a round lead block. It weighs now 918 gramm and was once probably 2000 gramms heavy. The fragment has on its surface round punches, strike signs and "bubbles" (->melting?). There was the speculation, that it may was used for manufacturing glandes. This things may were lost from roman soldiers in 15 B.C. in relation with the "Alps campaign".

If anyone is interested in this article in german, I'll scan it and send it to you.
In worst case, I may translate some lines into English. It was published in: "Jahrbuch der Schweizerischen Gesellschaft für Ur- und Frühgeschichte; 2004" pages 297-303

Just wanted to tell you this few things...
Teg

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

funda_iucunda

Watt den een sin Uhl is
den annern sin Nachtigal.

Germany (north of Hamburg)
Reply #2 - May 8th, 2007 at 4:20pm

Teg wrote on May 7th, 2007 at 4:21pm:

Hi Teg,

I'm very interested in this article. Sounds interesting, especially that big lead block. Translation is not necessary. Many thanks in advance

funda iucunda

IP Logged

wanderer
Interfector Viris Spurii

Texas
Reply #3 - May 8th, 2007 at 7:15pm

Teg,

Looks like a very interesting article.

I'm OK with the original language too. I'd be grateful for a copy if you make one.

Wanderer.

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #4 - May 9th, 2007 at 9:43pm

Good find Teg! Thanks.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Reply #5 - May 10th, 2007 at 3:33am

PM me your email and I'll send you a scan as soon as possible. The translation is still in progress. I've got the half until now.

IP Logged

funda_iucunda

Watt den een sin Uhl is
den annern sin Nachtigal.

Germany (north of Hamburg)
Reply #6 - Jun 1st, 2007 at 4:47pm

Many thanks for the article, Teg. I read much about the march Marcus Junkelmann did in 1985 together with his fellow legionaries. His book is quoted in the article. Looks as if we now have evidence about at least a part of the original route of the Roman army crossing the Alpes 15 BC.

funda iucunda

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Chris, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini)