Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Festival vs. Tourney (Read 5472 times)
Gunsonwheels

Slinging Rocks!

Wyoming Shoshone River Valley
Festival vs. Tourney
May 6th, 2007 at 4:21pm

The Wyoming Slingfest is postered/advertised as a "Festival and Tourney".  I've been teaching Scouts sling making and shooting to increase interest and tourney participation.  We've seen enough positive response about attending from .org members I expect to stage certain demonstrations and instruction (The Festival part of the event) about slings and slinging which will be  by .org members and principally for the newby Scout tourney participants and other interested attendees (hopefully some media included).

I would like some input from the membership about what could be a part of the Festival vs. what should be open to all Tourney participants.  For tourney events we've tentatively identified target events (point blank & siege casting) and max distance casting.  TechStuf has staged demos and I really need his and other's (Tint?) input of what to do/put on/demo or whatever for both newby tourney participants as well as intersted bystanders (like parents who come along with younger kids)??? I like TechStuf's idea of doing arrow and sling missle penetration demos but kinda run short of ideas after that.  Any Input? (guess we could show Tint's video if he doesn't make it)

George N

IP Logged

don1
Descens

Take that, you scoundrel!
(at dog pooping on grass

Valhalla
Re: Festival vs. Tourney
Reply #1 - May 6th, 2007 at 7:26pm

Have lengths of 1/8" line at the ready and have the participant make an impromptu/improvised sling--timed event--and throw at target(s).  The lads out your way can readily associate with "calf ropin'"

An excellent make-shift sling would be the multiple sheepshank version(s) located in the forum.

"For what do we live, but to make sport for our neighbors and laugh at them in our turn? --Jane Austen

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #2 - May 7th, 2007 at 8:16pm

A dunk tank with TS as the dunky
WELL at ferral gathering's When i taught the sling it was alway's awsome to watch the new group of slingers, sling down a river. when you see all the stones splashing and the branches breaking off the over head tree's you gather some idea what the romans saw

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #3 - May 8th, 2007 at 10:23am

What about distance targeting? Say 20, 40, 60, 80 and 100 yards. Have man sized targets, and have the participants try to hit them. This would give them a good idea of what it was like in real life battle.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #4 - May 8th, 2007 at 11:20am

do you know anyone in the local police force - dog training unit by preference. Get hold of one of their padded suits and have people try and hit me with tennis balls (while wearing the suit - obviously :-) Or possibly they might have one used in unarmed combat training.

I have a certain masochistic side to me and stupidly high pain threshhold. Be interesting to be on the other end of a sling. But I draw the line at tennis balls (I'm not suicidal) :-)

I could run sausage making class :-) But that's probably not relevant, mind you the salmon I put into cure last night is gorgeous and that's before I smoke it.
But again, not relevant nobody hunts salmon with slings :-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

fogish

Slinging?!

Oregon, USA
Reply #5 - May 8th, 2007 at 4:38pm

Quote:
But again, not relevant nobody hunts salmon with slings Smiley

C_A sounds like you just sent out a challenge to lobohunter!

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #6 - May 8th, 2007 at 8:03pm

fogish wrote on May 8th, 2007 at 4:38pm:
Quote:
But again, not relevant nobody hunts salmon with slings Smiley

C_A sounds like you just sent out a challenge to lobohunter!

ears perk up

IP Logged

Gunsonwheels

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #7 - May 8th, 2007 at 8:33pm

Quote:
do you know anyone in the local police force - dog training unit by preference. Get hold of one of their padded suits and have people try and hit me with tennis balls (while wearing the suit - obviously Smiley Or possibly they might have one used in unarmed combat training.

In our military training they use pugal sticks... I think...  anyone have input on that?   our local National Guard units might have some of them...

Or maybe hockey goalie protective equipment... 

Best idea yet for a target I think...  er... aah... or was that TWO???   Real live targets... well... aah... for a while anyway...    Grin

Haven't been able to develop a reliable (the balloons keep rupturing when I dial on the power) pouch for the mini water balloons yet...   maybe we should switch to tennis balls and up the pro' for everyone.   Tennis balls really shouldn't require that much protection... at least not like something such as the very hard rubber hockey puck (their mass is pretty high too...).  I've played a little hockey and pucks can really feel lethal if you are not a fully pro'd like the goalie.

Anyway thanks for the ideas (all of them).  I am planning on having several of them available.   Got the pipe yesterday for the target stands and one of the backstops  (two stands... both will have a 10x10 foot backstop... target stands are 8x8 foot)).   Should have them fabbed and photo'd by this time next week...   All the target ideas will work either in front of a backstop and/or in the open.  I want to have a lot of options so we can try out a lot of things and develop a good variety of feedback...    Roll Eyes

George N

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #8 - May 9th, 2007 at 7:26am

[quote]Tennis balls really shouldn't require that much protection[/quote]

Hmm, well I tend to look at it this way - if it was ME slinging I'd be aiming for crotch and head - 'cos I'm like that :-) And I'd be putting as much power into it as I could, in the hope that I could put the guy down and laugh at him. So I was working on what I'd want if I was slinging anything at me :-)

Also it had occured to me that techstuff might be behind one of those slings - nuff said ;-)
PLus once you've got the gear you can see what else it will take, golfballs, small stones etc. Better to have too much protection and have some fun than too little and be ruined for life ;-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Gunsonwheels

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #9 - May 9th, 2007 at 11:15am

I think I caught that picture...  LH and C_A running around in suits being fired upon by TS... wow... that could be a video for the ages. Grin   Shocked   Roll Eyes

George N

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #10 - May 9th, 2007 at 3:23pm

I fire back lol

IP Logged

Gunsonwheels

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #11 - May 9th, 2007 at 5:11pm

It just keeps getting better and better....     Cool

George N

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #12 - May 10th, 2007 at 6:42am

well that's one option - two suits and sling duels - not going to be easy getting a smooth throw with several inches of inflexible padding on your joints, but definitely a challenge. Winner stays on till they keel over from the heat lol

10 paces turn and fire :-)

Never having met - face to face - anyone else, ever, who slings. I can see it degenerating into a right anorack convention. But definitely endless possibilities :-)

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #13 - May 10th, 2007 at 12:30pm

HMMMMM sound like i better pack the BGH Glands
nothing like haveing a slight egde or in this case three lol well actuly 6

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #14 - May 10th, 2007 at 1:02pm

bgh glandes ?
maybe they make: bloody great holes ? :-)

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, Chris, Kick, joe_meadmaker)