Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
How hard can you hit something with a sling? (Read 3956 times)
Sora

I'm slinging in the rain...

Hellgium
How hard can you hit something with a sling?
May 6th, 2007 at 5:41am

Well,
I'm quite new to slinging and I just made my first sling and when i was slinging with winecork sized stones i was aiming at a wooden kind of wall about
2 inches thick and from a distance of like 25 m i just threw through it Smiley
So how hard can you hit something with a sling? and from how far with what kind of amunition?

Hey dude, check out my new underhand style...&&BANG!!!...err...sorry...

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Re: How hard can you hit something with a sling?
Reply #1 - May 6th, 2007 at 6:37am

Welcome Sora,

You might want to check this thread out:

http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1178169061/0#0

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #2 - May 6th, 2007 at 8:00am

Many of us have done serious damage with well thrown shots. Breaking cinder blocks is fairly common as is going through several layers of plywood. I think though that the best shot I heard of was of a fellow shattering a cast iron plate with a slung shot.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

1srelluc
Ex Member

Reply #3 - May 6th, 2007 at 10:05pm

I killed a fox years ago with a railroad bed rock that caved in the ribs, broke the front shoulder and I think broke thre lower neck. It was dead when I got to it. When I skinned it out there was a HUGE bruse over those areas. The stone never broke the skin. The fox was around 75 +/- yards away. Just luck on my part.

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #4 - May 10th, 2007 at 12:46pm

in the same respect I have found the bones of nutria I have killed with a stone just completly shattered

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

Lathron
Ex Member

Reply #5 - May 16th, 2007 at 6:39am

i broke head-sized limestone rock in two with egg sized stone from about twenty yards once

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #6 - May 18th, 2007 at 7:12am

Actually if you take the thread title literally and get a heavy duty sling like my tibetan job and load it with a 2lb rock and swing it round your head and just hit something with that (not actually slinging) it'd be as good as sledge hammer :-)
So yeah I could hit stuff really hard with a sling :-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #7 - May 18th, 2007 at 3:27pm

Actually, if you take the title of this thread *really* literally, you cannot do much damage at all.  I could raise a welt, and if I hit just right I might put out your eye (or my own, if I was too klutzy), but a patch of leather just does not pack all that much wallop.

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #8 - May 19th, 2007 at 11:16am

depends how big a knot you tie in the sling first :-)
With a long sling you could tie a real big knot leave about a foot and have a seriously effective cosh.

You just have to think a bit creatively :-) (and having a disturbed mind probably doesn't hurt either ;-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Dravonk
Funditor

Aachen, Germany
Reply #9 - May 19th, 2007 at 1:48pm

Do staff slings count, too? Wink

IP Logged

Sora

I'm slinging in the rain...

Hellgium
Reply #10 - May 20th, 2007 at 7:06am

ok staff slings also count Smiley

Hey dude, check out my new underhand style...&&BANG!!!...err...sorry...

IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #11 - May 20th, 2007 at 1:04pm

slinging against rocks, i can make a nice cloud of dust when slinging unfired clay glans (no trace of bullet except smudge of dust on rock)

in certain cases i have broken small hard stones, i have managed to vaporize some stones as well.

if i manage to hit a tree, the stone usually blows a huge chunk of bark out of wherever it hits, and leaves an ugly scar.

if i remember correctly, there were some tests done a while ago that showed that under the right conditions a slung stone can hit with the same force as a bullet from a colt .45 (the gun)

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

JustKnot
Descens

Lithuania
Reply #12 - May 20th, 2007 at 5:29pm

make a modeling clay target, get some smae size, shape and weight bullets, sling them at the modeling clay target, measure how deep they go and then using scales try to push one bullet by yourself to see how much force (weight) you need to do it... Thats just an idea, I'm sure it is not very exact and needs some improvements...
I think the clay used should be of a kind that's hard to push in... for better results

IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #13 - May 20th, 2007 at 11:23pm

Yep,
Makes two of us.
Although I could use my "Brick 'Chucker" (6"x5" Pouch 3/8ths' rope ) load it up and do far more damage than with my Tibetian sling Smiley

Marc Adkins

Curious Aardvark wrote on May 18th, 2007 at 7:12am:
Actually if you take the thread title literally and get a heavy duty sling like my tibetan job and load it with a 2lb rock and swing it round your head and just hit something with that (not actually slinging) it'd be as good as sledge hammer Smiley
So yeah I could hit stuff really hard with a sling Smiley

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #14 - May 20th, 2007 at 11:25pm

With no windup casts ( both overhand and underhand) I have broken river rock and marble gravel ( found in bags at the local DIY stores).
but so far I have mainly been casting for distance and not at any target in particular.

Marc Adkins

siguy wrote on May 20th, 2007 at 1:04pm:
slinging against rocks, i can make a nice cloud of dust when slinging unfired clay glans (no trace of bullet except smudge of dust on rock)

in certain cases i have broken small hard stones, i have managed to vaporize some stones as well.

if i manage to hit a tree, the stone usually blows a huge chunk of bark out of wherever it hits, and leaves an ugly scar.

if i remember correctly, there were some tests done a while ago that showed that under the right conditions a slung stone can hit with the same force as a bullet from a colt .45 (the gun)

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Kick, Chris, joe_meadmaker, Morphy, Rat Man, vetryan15)