Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Aussie POUCH Product Recall (Read 4069 times)
Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Aussie POUCH Product Recall
May 4th, 2007 at 9:20pm

Dear AussiePOUCH Users,

I have been sending out my AussiePOUCHes to anybody who requests one for some time now, but my intention was primarily to provide quick and easy access to a good functional pouch for newcomers.

My initial assumptions were:

1. Most of us live in large cities
2. Often we don't have ready access to wide open spaces where we can sling stones safely
3. Often stone slinging is seen as dangerous anti-social, if not outright illegal behaviour.
4. Often good slinging stones are quite hard to find.

Therefore I tried to optimize the AussiePOUCH Mk. 1 for slinging tennis and other balls because they are safe, acceptable and available.

Tennis balls worked fine, however I noticed that heavier balls like cricket balls sometimes slewed out of the pouch during the final thrust. I spread the straps apart to widen the base and the problem seemed to be solved. The sling still worked with golf balls and larger stones.

However I recently sent one of the Mk. 2 pouches to C-A to review. Much to my chagrin he came back with a tactfully worded, (imagine that from C-A), impassioned plea that I go back to the original design because I had ruined the versatility of the pouch. It didn't work any better with large balls and now it didn't work at all with the small stones he liked to put in it.

So now I ask all of you for your input; does your pouch do everything you want? Can it be improved? Do you need a replacement? Numbers below about 15 are Mk. 1, higher numbers are Mk. 2.

Please let me know. I would hate to think your pouch was just sitting there not being used.

Regards,

Aussieslinger

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

Mordechaj
Funditor

I love Slinging.org!

zagreb, croatia (europe)
Re: Aussie POUCH Product Recall
Reply #1 - May 5th, 2007 at 5:35am

i have MK1 and it's my main sling now.
(EDIT: i theor stones, and with it i throw stones of any shape and size that i want, so i'm happy with it. i can even demonstrate slinging with it using tennis balls too Smiley )

it more than fulfills it's purpousse.

speaking of slings: tint, i'll get on braiding soon. really sorry for the delay.  Embarrassed

- resistance is NOT futile -

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #2 - May 5th, 2007 at 6:19am

No need to hurry, Mordechaj! Wink

I like the pouch alot, Aussie.  I think it is a MK1?

I have tied different lenghts of cords to it and it has performed well.  I don't used it much though, I usually take it out to show my friends and follow with the story how the pouch traveled all the way from Australia.  I intend to keep it in good shape to show my grandchildren! Cool

IP Logged

JustKnot
Descens

Lithuania
Reply #3 - May 5th, 2007 at 10:31am

for me it could be a bit shorter but I think thats because I sling only rough rocks, not tennis balls with aussie pouch

IP Logged

1srelluc
Ex Member

Reply #4 - May 5th, 2007 at 8:14pm

I have #31 (MK.2?) in my pocket now and made a sling of nearly 300yds with it just yesterday here at work with a aprox. 1.5oz smooth stone. Don't change a thing! It gets washed everytime my uniform pants are washed and it keeps holding up. Even the super glue is holding up well. Of the assorted ones you sent me the ones using the thinner belt material seem to be best for rocks and the larger thicker ones are just the thing for golf/tennis balls.

Any way you look at it they are better than the leather slings I have made or have been given. I did take the liberty to use your material to make a "kids" size sling (smaller pouch) for my grandaughter and its the "cats ass" for small rocks. Food for thought there. Smaller is better for rocks I think.

Despite what others may think, your pouches "rock". Keep up the good work/deeds. #31 is my favorite and most used sling.
« Last Edit: May 6th, 2007 at 12:08am by N/A »  

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #5 - May 6th, 2007 at 12:47am

Thanks for your replies. Don't get me wrong, I value all criticism, can't improve without it. I make the pouches as I think best at the time but customer requirements vary and I want to satisfy as many as I can.

I don't consider making a sling for your grandaughter a liberty, it's an honour.

NONE OF THIS IS TAKEN PERSONALLY.                IT'S CALLED PRODUCT IMPROVEMENT

IP Logged

LKH9
Funditor

Malaysia
Reply #6 - May 6th, 2007 at 8:52pm

Just slung a bad apple with it, works fine. Roll Eyes

IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #7 - May 7th, 2007 at 12:54am

I have pouch number 28 ( I think)
All in all while the pouch is a bit bigger than I personally would have created for my self, it seemed to handle well most every size of rock I put in it from small river stones to broken chunks of unidentified construction material i found where I put it through it's paces. The problems I encountered I belive were strictly due to the stretch of the nylon bootlaces I used on it.
If it means anything sir, the sling is currently out in my car so it gets carried around on a regular basis, along with my other OH S*** gear.

I haven't had much chance to do much slinging lately due to all the academic crud going on in my life, My university dropped the bomb on me a few weeks ago that I am going to be walking across the stage next week, so all spare time has been trying to get everything related to that coordinated.
I

I'll try and see what happens if I replace the bootlaces with sisal or hemp and see what happens.

Marc Adkins

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

Matt_C
Funditor

Cruachan!!!

Cheshire, England
Reply #8 - May 7th, 2007 at 10:22am

My pouch had a slight hiccup a few days ago when it began to start pulling apart, but a spot of good expoxy and it was a-ok. To tell you the truth I think I could have done another 100+ shots with no catastrophic failure, but safety is always my priority.

I haven't really had any problem, but I tend to sling "odd" (non-uniform) loads of all sizes and shapes. It isn't as good as a braided sling at launching oblong pieces of concerete/brick but I like it.

The last time I saw a rainbow I threw my beard over it

IP Logged

fogish

Slinging?!

Oregon, USA
Reply #9 - May 7th, 2007 at 12:05pm

I have a MK1 and I love it. I sling everything from rocks larger than a tennis ball to rocks that are just over 1 in. in diameter. I have been practicing with golf balls a lot with it and it does very well with those. I wouldn't mind testing out a MK2 or MK3 (in the making? Maybe I can get my wife hooked), my MK1 goes with myself and my knives everywhere, just on the off chance I find something to sling.

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #10 - May 7th, 2007 at 7:39pm

The Mk pouch you didnt send me didnt suck and preformed like no other pouch
dear Aussie thank you for nothing lol

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

lupis
Descens

I love Slinging.org!

Vancouver, BC, Canada
Reply #11 - May 7th, 2007 at 7:46pm

I have a MK 1 and it is the best sling I have. The pouch throws anything I put in it, from tennis balls to rocks or golf balls. I think there is no need to change the design at all.

Freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #12 - May 8th, 2007 at 11:55am

lol - this is my fault :-)
Having a rapidly growing collection of aussie's pouches now, I mentioned that the mkII's have a much larger hole and were giving me problems with small stones that the mkI has no problem with.

On the other paw, the MkII will cup a tennis ball or baseball perfectly where mk I has problems with baseballs.

Currently have a couple of mk3's (smaller hole similiar glue angle to mk1) that I intend to use for longer slings with finer cord (so won't have to enlarge the holes after all).
Figured I usually use a 28 - 30 inch so I'd make one 40 inches and one 60 inches and see what sort of effect it has on distance.

But any way you cut it they are all great pouches and so cost effective :-)

You're a bonzer bloke and no mistake :-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #13 - May 9th, 2007 at 2:36am

C-A old friend. Fault is not the word at all. I asked your opinion and you gave it honestly. I just want to know if people are experiencing any difficulties and if so then what. I also have made up about a dozen of the Mk.2's and I was sure hoping I wouldn't have to bin them. But it appears that more people throw stones than large balls so perhaps I should favour them, especially as dropping a tennis ball does not usually pose a hazard wheras rogue stones can be lethal.

IP Logged

Gunsonwheels

Slinging Rocks!

Wyoming Shoshone River Valley
Reply #14 - May 17th, 2007 at 12:39am

I'm confused but that is one of few few natural talents.  So the best one for tennis balls is...???  I think I would like about five dozen Mk II's.  Can we strike a deal?  I'd pick them up on the 6th of June.  PM me if your willing and the cost.

Had my third class tonoght and our first blood.  Shoulda learned from the Balaerics and stuck to tennis balls for the newbies... seems one of them couldn't resist the media brainwashing and helicoptered a throw which naturally hung and sent the shot down the line... hit a boy in the side of the head... blood but no concussion and he was still smiling after bandaging.  But I will go to tennis balls from now on and have the boys do all throwing into the backstop... before we kill anyone.  Nothing quite as dangerous as the helicopter by someone who doesn't know how to keep the cords from twisting.  Darn media anyway... I demo'd your throw, sv's sidearm variant and Techstufs underhand and warned them about NO multiple revolutions.  Oh well... gotta make it all more idiot proof...

George N

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Morphy, Chris, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, Kick, Rat Man)