Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Slings that don't work well (Read 2227 times)
Markmyster
Tiro

Always

Ontario Canada
Slings that don't work well
May 3rd, 2007 at 9:13pm

In the time I have been slinging I have made hundreds of slings. Mary of these have been great and some have sucked. Most often the problem is the release the cords rub together or tangle and the release is a little late. At least I think that is the problem. Other times I just can't see any obvious reason. Does anyone else have this trouble or know what might be causeing it.

IP Logged

Mark
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

South Jordan, Utah
Re: Slings that don't work well
Reply #1 - May 4th, 2007 at 12:31am

One possible reason may be the way you hold the sling.

I put the fixed end loop over my middle finger, and then pass it over my ring finger then down between my ring and pinky, palm facing up.  Then I grip the other cord with my thumb and the edge of my pointer finger.  This keeps the cords seperate, and I've never had a problem with tangling.  That's how I hold the sling in my tutorial.

Another reason is the length of the sling.  If you're doing the release I do, the ideal length (for me anyways) from the middle of the sling to the end should be about the same as your nose to the middle of your hand held out away from you.  I've noticed that when I use different lengths, it affects the timing of my release.

Mark

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #2 - May 4th, 2007 at 12:55pm

sounds like your grip's a bit too narrow. I'm sticking a bit on the dvd about how I hold my sling as It seems a lot of people on the site go for a really narrow grip, and it really isn't necessary.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #3 - May 4th, 2007 at 3:46pm

Grip, pouch, cords, sling length, and ammo weight all work together.  I find that a wide grip such as Mark's, works well with a sling that has a longer pouch.  If my pouch is short, things roll off the end of the pouch and result in a very bad cast (like, straight up or behind me).  A narrow grip works well with the Apache style, which has no windup at all, but if I try a helicopter style I can get my cords twisted together.  Pre-twisting my cords the opposite of what they want to do, can solve that problem.  So can using a sling with thicker braided cords (gets rid of twisting altogether).  My shorter slings just do not work well with the figure-8 style (or any other style that involves a couple of twirls), but my longer slings do not work with the Apache style.  And after I've cast something heavy like a lacrosse ball, slinging a tennis ball always goes off (usually into the ground due to "late release" -- I released same time as I'm used to, but the lighter sling load swung 'round faster!)

What is really fun (for bystanders) is when I get my cords exactly in line with the tennis ball.  The ball rolls down the entire length of the release cord, with a loud zipping sound, and falls to the ground a few feet in front of me.  I did not know what was happening until one rainy day, the dog was retrieving the ball for me and it was getting more and more muddy ... and then that zipping sound, even the dog is laughing at the ridiculous distance, and I found that the release cord was muddy all the way down its length.

Mostly I just try to learn the peculiarities of each sling I make, and use a style that works with that sling.  If I wanted to stick to just one style, I would probably also make just one kind of sling... but I have more fun trying out everything I see described, and everything I can think of.

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

Markmyster
Tiro

Always

Ontario Canada
Reply #4 - May 4th, 2007 at 9:23pm

Yes I suppose you guys are right my grip is narrow, but after 30 years of slinging it's hard to imagine changing but I will give it a try.

IP Logged

Markmyster
Tiro

Always

Ontario Canada
Reply #5 - May 9th, 2007 at 11:40am

I tryed changing my grip, but it really does not feel right. So I started thinking about the friction at the point of release, and how to reduce it. I tryed putting a piece of plastic tubing on the first 8 inchs of the retaining cord, and it has made a dramatic improvment in my accuracy.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #6 - May 10th, 2007 at 10:51am

right (should be a sling round here somewhere) here's what I mean about easy grip adjustment.

All you do is move the retention cord across. very easy, feels natural, stops cord tangle and has no negative effect on the throw.

slinggrip1.jpg (56 KB | )
slinggrip1.jpg

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Gunsonwheels

Slinging Rocks!

Wyoming Shoshone River Valley
Reply #7 - May 10th, 2007 at 11:21am

The super narrow...???  I loop the retained cord around my middle finger and trail it across my index finger right next to the release cord so it too is squeezed by the thumb until the moment of release.  My release cord has a figure eight knot to aid in good retention of heavier missles.  I've never considered the setup a problem and think I get good-to-excellent consistency of the release.  I do confess I have never tried wider holds because of my satisfaction with what I do... it seems to work for me and my sling design.    I do know if I do anything more than "two rotations and out" that the cords twist and the release consistency gets way messed up.   Maybe someone will tell me just what are the reasons for going to wider releases...???

George N

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #8 - May 11th, 2007 at 6:06am

[quote]I do know if I do anything more than "two rotations and out" that the cords twist and the release consistency gets way messed up[/quote]

That's one reason for a wider grip. Also rotating your wrist as well as your arm - to keep the cords aligned - helps stop tangle.

Try slinging without extra rotations (again slightly shorter sling will help)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, Curious Aardvark, Chris, joe_meadmaker, Rat Man, vetryan15, Kick)