Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Slinging over a frozen pond. Weird noise! (Read 2277 times)
ArizonaSlinger

I love Slinging.org!

Slinging over a frozen pond. Weird noise!
Apr 30th, 2007 at 1:57pm

Have any of you ever slung rocks into a frozen pond? I did last year.  The noise it makes is unearthly. It sounds like some sort of weird synthesizer noise.  You have to hear it to believe it. Maybe the conditions I had were unique.  The ice was about 2-5 inches thick. The air was very dry. The pond is in the dessert and so there were few trees on the banks. The pond was a couple of hundred yards in diameter. I don't know if those conditions made it uniquely possible.

« Last Edit: Apr 30th, 2007 at 7:28pm by CanDo »  

IP Logged

Kanec
Tiro

Glass rings where the
sling flings

Slovakia
Re: Slinging over a frozen pond. Wierd noise!
Reply #1 - Apr 30th, 2007 at 2:33pm

I have to try..but since there are many ice-skaters on the nearest pond in winter, I had better found another location Smiley

The basis of justice is to hate everyone equally;)

IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Re: Slinging over a frozen pond. Wierd noise!
Reply #2 - Apr 30th, 2007 at 7:27pm

YES!! it is amazing.

It sounds like a cross between the echo of dynamite and singing whales...

How was the slinging?

IP Logged

Markmyster
Tiro

Always

Ontario Canada
Re: Slinging over a frozen pond. Weird noise!
Reply #3 - May 1st, 2007 at 7:29am

Yes I had the same experiance, the ice must be fairly thin for it to work. When I first heard it I was looking up for flying saucers.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #4 - May 1st, 2007 at 10:45am

It also works if you skim rocks over ice by hand. The ice acts as a sort of sounding board. Really great noise :-)

Haven't been able to do it here for a couple of years though - just not had any real ice.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #5 - May 1st, 2007 at 6:39pm

[quote author=curious_aardvark link=1177955825/0#5 date=1178030740]It also works if you skim rocks over ice by hand. The ice acts as a sort of sounding board. Really great noise :-)

Haven't been able to do it here for a couple of years though - just not had any real ice.[/quote]

Perhaps we're speaking of different things...
This wasn't a result of the ice acting as some sort of sounding board or resonating a sound, it was the ice itself. The day was extremely cold right after a rather warm spell. Every five minutes or so it would just make this sound.... The first time or two, I had no clue as to what was going on. I'd guess that as the ice is expanding or contracting that a fracture develops (like tetonic plates colliding/seperating) and races across. This pond as well was only several hundred yards across. It was quite surreal, as there were also a pair of river otters out there having a conversation with me (or trying to anyway  ;D ;))

IP Logged

Conteilboos
Descens

USA, Arizona
Reply #6 - May 1st, 2007 at 10:17pm

ArizonaSlinger wrote on Apr 30th, 2007 at 1:57pm:
The pond is in the dessert and so there were few trees on the banks.

You found a pond WITH ICE!!! in the desert of Arizona???? WHERE? i have yet to see a frozen pond in AZ even in the winter when it gets below freezing at night.... Shocked

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #7 - May 2nd, 2007 at 9:40am

As far as I know, the air has to be dry and cold and the ice thin for this to work. The effect is similar to hitting the top of a snare drum. I have thrown rocks through ice like that, and it sounds like someone hitting a high tension cable. The best part was it was so cold, I could watch the ice reform in the holes I have made.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

ArizonaSlinger

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #8 - May 2nd, 2007 at 12:21pm

Conteilboos wrote on May 1st, 2007 at 10:17pm:
ArizonaSlinger wrote on Apr 30th, 2007 at 1:57pm:
The pond is in the dessert and so there were few trees on the banks.

You found a pond WITH ICE!!! in the desert of Arizona???? WHERE? i have yet to see a frozen pond in AZ even in the winter when it gets below freezing at night.... Shocked

It is about 5000 feet elevation. It is a high dessert plateau.  I believe the temperature was in the teens for a week or so. I've seen ice there two winters in a row. I wouldn't be suprised if there is ice there every year. I've heard that it can get thick enough to walk on in some instances.   Are you in Arizona?

And as others said, the noise sounds like whales or hollywood sound effects for flying saucers.

The noise was from the rock hitting the ice. Another cause of strange noises is when the ice cracks naturally due to temperature fluctuations.

IP Logged

Thomas
Ex Member

Rocks?

Reply #9 - May 2nd, 2007 at 8:00pm

Brings back sonic memories of myself and a few other 10 yr olds skipping stones over iced up Jones’s ponds. An interstate now passes through that location.

Tom 
« Last Edit: May 2nd, 2007 at 9:51pm by Thomas »  

IP Logged

Conteilboos
Descens

USA, Arizona
Reply #10 - May 3rd, 2007 at 6:45pm

Hmm ur prolly up in Phoenix area? or maybe even farther north...
Yes i am located in Arizona (unfortunately...i don't like it much) I'm about 15 mins south of Tucson in a small town of Sahuarita.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, joe_meadmaker, Rat Man, Kick, Curious Aardvark, Morphy, vetryan15)