Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Phiilistine Heads - Wyoming Slingfest 9/21-22 (Read 2506 times)
Gunsonwheels

Slinging Rocks!

Wyoming Shoshone River Valley
Phiilistine Heads - Wyoming Slingfest 9/21-22
Apr 27th, 2007 at 12:16am

Just received a hundred net produce bags 15" w x 25" l.  A water balloon of about 9.5" in diameter inflates nicely inside and the bag hangs nicely from a 1" schedule 40 pipe.  This is likely going to be the "point blank" target for the Wyoming Slingfest.   So... I would like to hear from the group, particularly those planning on attending, just how close or far away from a rack of four or five "heads"  should the firing line be???????????  I told C_A rupturing a water balloon with a shot gives a very good feeling but "killing" three or four is an absolute rush... they literally explode when hit square on.

As soon as I get a rack set up I will get some video for the site... probably a week or two but hopefully before I leave for NZ.

So... how far or close for the firing line?  And remember this is David style slinging... only head shots are going to rupture anything.

George N

IP Logged

Gunsonwheels

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Phiilistine Heads - Wyoming Slingfest 9/21-22
Reply #1 - Apr 27th, 2007 at 11:44am

C_A and I have discussed from 15-20 feet out to 20 meters...  or was it 50?

George N

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #2 - Apr 29th, 2007 at 5:18pm

20 yards max. That way you get the balance between the kick of killing the balloon and it being hard enough to make killing the balloon worthwhile - and if after half an hour of everyone missing we can always walk up and punch the darn things :-)
hmm, might be a use for tissue parcels full of gravel after all :-)

So do I get to paste a picture of tony blair on the balloons ?
If that's too controversial can I have gordon brown ? Oh hell lets just have one balloon for every member of the current cabinet, incentive :-)

Or if we're staying non-political can I have giant pictures of mosquitos - that way I can get my own back !
:-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Gunsonwheels

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #3 - Apr 29th, 2007 at 5:33pm

I think we will also make up a few "gongs" of steel disks with a hole drilled and a slit from the periphery to the hole (makes a "tuning fork" effect for ringing when whacked).   Maybe the gong disks could be a little larger diameter...???

George N

IP Logged

Dravonk
Funditor

Aachen, Germany
Reply #4 - Apr 30th, 2007 at 7:48am

The gongs sound similiar to the Balearic targets.

I guess it would survive a few more shots than a balloon.

IP Logged

Gunsonwheels

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #5 - Apr 30th, 2007 at 3:57pm

Yup... steel (GOW does it again.. that's steal) the other guy's idea and then irreverently change it in a way I think improves it...  the hole and slit have the effect of turning the disk into a tuning fork...  we also suspend it like a wind chime so the resonance can fade more slowly (stole that idea too...).

C_A seemed to think we'd be better off not replacing the balloons so/as often as needed.  They'd more satisfying to bash but he's right... so enter the "gongs".  However if the distance is "fair" then we may never have to replace them...  A couple of options...  I like the idea of giving every competitor a "head" and having them shoot at a fixed distance and the winner is whoever "kills" his head with the fewest shots... (I'd probably run out of ammo and the balloon would still be there staring at me)...  the other approach is how many kills or rings can you do with with a fixed number of shots....  the best way to do this in future is an example of what I hope we find out... I really wish I had attended a Balearic competition... at least I'd have some place to start...  but hey...  I'm having fun yet and I'm sure the shooters will too!

PS:  we will probably do both targets and both shooting approaches so we can discuss from experience what we liked best.

George N

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #6 - May 2nd, 2007 at 7:45am

this is all too easy for you gow :-)
You need a challenge :-)

How about setting up a full pop up, moving target, walkthrough shooting range ;-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #7 - May 2nd, 2007 at 9:35am

How about having rings of various sizes and distances set up. You have to fire through them, with scoring appropriate.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #8 - May 2nd, 2007 at 11:10am

now that would be traditional - as I've just discovered (amazing what you learn reading through every article on the site)
[quote]A hundred slingers were recruited from Aegium and Patrae and Dymae. These peoples were trained from boyhood, in accordance with a tradition of the race, in hurling with a sling at the open sea the round stones which, mingled with sand, generally strew the coasts. In consequence they use this weapon at longer range, with greater accuracy, and with more powerful effect than the Balearic slinger. Moreover, the sling is not composed of a single strap, like those of the Baleares and other peoples, but the bullet-carrier is triple, strengthened with numerous seams, that the missle may not fly out at random, from the pliancy of the strap at the moment of discharge, but seated firmly while being whirled, may be shot out as if from a bow-string. [u]Having been trained to shoot through rings of moderate circumference from long distances[/u], they would wound not merely the heads of their enemies but any part of the face at which they might have aimed[/quote]

Hard to do but easy to set up :-)

I think we need some life size cutouts - or no longer wanted shop dummies. :-)

IP Logged

Gunsonwheels

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #9 - May 2nd, 2007 at 6:41pm

If anyone comes early and has a passion for a particulat kind of target we have materials and tools necessary to fabricate just about anything.   I do NOT like passing missiles through hoops... "but I tell you it did go through!"   ..."no it didn't and I am the referee"   ...kinda like an old James Garner movie I saw... he was asked to demonstrate his shooting skill and took a large flat washer and flipped it up into the air and shot... caught the washer and held it up saying "see... it went right through the hole"... one of the town fathers doubted it and put a piece of tape over the hole and said "do it again"...  he did and THEN (but only then) were they suitably impressed.

George N

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #10 - May 3rd, 2007 at 11:53am

still it'd be a laugh. Y'all are going to amazed at the sheer inaccuracy I've mastered :-)

IP Logged

Gunsonwheels

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #11 - May 5th, 2007 at 11:52pm

The Wyoming thing in September is being advertised as a "Slinging Festival and Tourney".  I hope to be able to sift through the various threads and their posts to decide what would best be part of the "Festival" ... things which would be demonstrated by slinging.org "guests" as opposed to those open to all comers for competition sake...  as a for instance I don't think penetration/power demos should be part of the open competition but limited to the "guests".  ...and obviously, if Tint does come, then the "Festival" part will take on an added dimension...

George N

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, Morphy, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, Chris, vetryan15)